Effect of Sub-Ohm Coils on Popular Flavor's in DYI

Here’s another thing. I found out my menthol stuff fries. It was horrible at high heat. Now, I made that juice but what if I had bought a commercial 22.00 bottle of it? I would be out $22.00. This is what I’m trying to avoid.

Here we go:

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for your reply. If you are using a high VG ratio already, I might recommend perhaps mixing with VG based flavors such as the Northwest VG Flavors brand on our website as the concentrated flavors in that line do not contain PG. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Patti ECX CS Supervisor

Maybe I am nut for this but I just gotta do it. I still say the Atlantis is your biggest problem. If you are literally burning juice you are running entirely too hot. I’ll make a deal with you. Find a Kanger Subtank Mini (No Clones) for around $25ish and buy it. If you are not happier with it compared to the Atlantis after 60 days, I will buy it from you for $25.00 if you will ship it to me. Is that a deal or what. You’re in the US I hope. Believe me, I’m not doing this for me, I have many of these tanks in my shop. I’m really trying to help you…

2 Likes

You are not a nut at all! What a great guy to offer to do that! Awww… Let me think about that. I may even be able to borrow one from one of my friends, or swap with my kid. My kid has that set up. You’re awesome.

1 Like

I just realized the Melo coil is doing the same thing kind of burning liquid. I picked those two tanks because the coils are interchangeable. Both running a .5 Coil. One Coil is a .5 Eleaf Melo Coil and the other ones are .5 Atlantis V2 Coils. The Atlantis coil is a little better - but not much.

Running both at 28.5 Watts.

Whoops… Got 3 Mods going too:

Sigelei 30 Watt Mini - Eleaf IStick 30 - IPV 40 Watt Cool Fire 4

So much good information in this thread. @Maureeenie, I fear if you make a liquid that will have actual flavor in the Atlantis you’ll be at 40% flavoring. Solid waste of money. I have the Atlantis and Atlantis 2. They just sit there, mocking me for spending my money on them. But hey, part of the journey I say.

So, when you have a little extra cash handy, let me suggest the Joyetech eVic VT 60w mod with Ego One Mega tank. I want to suggest getting that and a couple of Joyetech’s CLR RBA heads and building them with 28ga Titanium wire. I created a tutorial for rebuilding them - here it is - and while many people will knock the Ego One Mega, the fact is it does a decent job and just reading your posts I think you could get a very good vape from it. Flavor from this tank is not an issue. In temperature control you get to basically ignore watts and focus on temperature. As I type this I’m hitting mine with a nice fruit/cream liquid, temp set to 440F. It’s a warm vape, certainly not hot. Vapor production is decent but flavor is excellent. And it looks just awesome too. Long battery life. Vapenw has them on sale (the kit) for $55 which ain’t bad.

1 Like

Lots of good info here - I just wanted to throw in what others have said - Flavorings behave differently at different temperatures. The best example I have is Cocoa (FA) and Chocolate (FA) - none of those are good at high power - Cocoa especially tastes really weird to me, if it gets too hot…

Also I agree with @ringling - The Atlantis is not a very good tank - If you want flavor and vapor, and not have to use a lot of power, the Kanger Subtanks are really good. To me they’re optimal at around 25W and taste noticeably better than the Atlantis…

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a tobacconist’s flavor to maybe give me a kick start to venture outside the bakery?

2 Likes

That is very good to know… and thank you all for the ideas! My son in law loves that new TC Kit from Joyetech too…he was irritated when he found out I bought those Atlantis tanks. He said “Y U NO LISTEN?”

So…I am seeing a pattern here. None of you seem to like the Atlantis tanks and coils and you all mix your own liquid. Hmmm… I’m looking at $100.00 here laughing at me lol. I must do some thinking.

The Cocoa and Chocolate are not my fav’s but good to know they will fry as well.

I have 3 other emails out to chemists :slight_smile: I will let you guys know what I can find out. I have high hopes for information, chemists are nerds and they love to talk about this stuff. Cross your fingers for me!

3 Likes

This is me atm, I have the kanger subox mini tank and only have 0.5 ohm coils (Bc the dude did not listen to me ) anyhow I run it in the teens to mid 20’s and it is fine not hot at all. The crown is also running in the higher 20’s on a 0.50 ohm coil and it seems to be a bit hotter but I a still messing around with the vent settings.

3 Likes

Are you saying you didn’t listen to me? Actually you listened. You didn’t get the TFV4. You could have really stepped in it. At least you satisfied your urge for something new. Face it, we all like it hot now and then…lol

2 Likes

the MBV guy sold me 0.50 for my kanger lol not you. Yes I listened and got the crown hee hee I love it, it is nice. I gave my Arctic and Atlantis to my fiance’ good ridens

2 Likes

I re-read through the entire thread. I realized all three tanks have just a little tinge of a flavor that’s a bit off. One of the coils is now 2.5 days old. It is the only one of the 3 tanks with a “commercial” juice in it. The liquid is “Santeria” by Omega. I purposely used this liquid to test the life of these Atlantis Coils because Santeria is known to obliterate coils with it’s sweetness. I figured I would start with worst case scenario first and if I got a week out of a coil with this in it - it was a good coil. At first, it wasn’t harsh at all first 1/2 day got the cranberry and vanilla. It tasted better than it did in the Nautilus. Today - No burn yet but I’m getting this weird almost petroluem taste thing going on. It’s not shorting, it’s not a metal taste but it isn’t good.

The other two tanks I dumped the menthol and acidic fruits out of and reloaded. One with a “cream base” I use to save cranky vapor I may have over flavored. The throat hit is smoother. The other one I reloaded with Strawberry Cucumber. That is not bad. Still getting a tinge of hard throat hit from being over nic’d but much better. The tank with the Santeria in it has got to go. I’m going to drain the coil and put some Strawberry Cake Pop in there and see what happens.

I saw this:

http://vapingcheap.com/atlantis-rba-coil-head/

Any opinions, I welcome! (My hands are up, don’t shoot - I never built a coil like this before)

When I started sub ohm blamed the coils not the e juice. Took me a while to find the right coils and watt setting for me. At the time sub ohm tanks did not exist so it was protank at work (was awful). Then the Atlantis came out. Thought it was wonderful. Few months later got the kanger subtank. It needed less watts and had better flavor. Have tried the organic cotton coils for the Atlantis…still not that good. My go to tank is the kanger subtank mini using the rba coil.

3 Likes

Great to know. What kind of cotton do you use?

I use ko gen do. Got it from Amazon. If you are having problems building coils look at curo coiler or coil master…to help make them.

@daath have you ever heard of anyone taking these Atlantis 2 standard .5 coils out of the wrappers and putting them in an ultrasonic with purified water and a little vodka to get any potential factory machine oil out of these things? I’m asking because the Triton I bought was rabid with machine oil. I had to soak that tank twice in a vodka bath to get the oil off it. I’m wondering if some of this yuck in the flavor is from them just not sterilizing these things properly out of the factory.

1 Like

Sorry, I have no idea - But I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try? :smile:

1 Like

Every Aspire tank I have owned was a oily mess. I suspect from the nasty taste on their new coils is more of the same. But I also get a pretty bad taste from new ko gen do cotton. Its the biggest reason I use Cotton Bacon. Very clean from first tug. I have the Atlantis and Triton. I skipped the Atlantis V2. The coils I have had performed well and for long periods (2 weeks at least), and I find the flavor from both passable. Not as good as with the Kanger Nano or Sub Tank Mini, or even the Joytech Delta II or the Ego One Mega tanks. For a long time, the Delta II was my go to tank. Then I picked up the Sub Tank Mini. Now the Delta II doesn’t see as much use. The coil in the Delta II is a great coil. I haven’t tried the RBA for it. The RBA for the Sub Tank mini is OK. I prefer the stock OCC .5 ohm coils. My Lemo 2 is a warm running bastard with it’s current .3 ohm build, and is a bit of a trick to get the wicking right. Once you get it,
it works very well.
SthrnMixer mentioned the Joytech Ego One Mega tank. I have 2 and so far they are very nice tanks for the money. The standard colors of brushed stainless or black can be found at Sweet-Vapes In either the standard or VT versions for less than $20.00 each. The CLR heads are quite small and not an easy build, but as a factory coil that is also rebuildable, they are hard to beat. I like to keep the wattage with the standard .5 ohm coils between 20 and 25 watts. Decent clouds with very good flavor.
I want a Uwell Crown so bad I can taste it…pun intended LOL

@daath I have nothing to lose at this point, will try that first. Also, you folks inspired me to find a way to rebuild these coils this afternoon. I really just didn’t want to do it. The Nautilus coils were idiot proof (me proof) and not very expensive. I just watched a few youtube videos. So for now, I’m going to take their coils and build a better mouse trap for a couple of weeks. I actually don’t hate the tanks, I’m not sure I can blame the tank but I want that flavor back :smile:

1 Like