Equivalence of ml to grams

Hello everyone (First of all, I’m sorry if this doens’t fit here, I’m still a noob aroun here)

I’ve finally I decided to take the step to mix by weight, with my scale.
Out of curiosity, I made several 15ml TPA bottles, and the contents of all weighed 15g.
However, if I weigh the contents of a 13ml CAP bottle, it weighs 17g (it varies a little bit according to which CAP bottle). Those of FA also weigh a little more.

Is this normal? I understood that the rule for aromas concentrated in PG was 1ml = 1g

If so, do I follow the recipe using 1ml = 1g, or do I have to forget about the scale and keep measuring ml?

Thank you all!

2 Likes

Each flavour has a different specific gravity you can use these if you go to the recipe site and click on the user/preferences and check the appropriate box

user

If it is not in the ELR database it will default to an sp of 1 ml == 1 gram

6 Likes

Yeah, but if you do that, it suppose that 1ml=1gram, I’ve seen that in all recipe with CAP flavours, and theyr’e the one with highest gravity.

I’m starting to think that weight mixing is a bad idea

¡Thank you!

1 Like

This one may be alittle bit harder to search for. You can find this thread by searching the term weight.

But yes. There will be some variance if you use the general rule of 1gram to 1ml for flavoring. I do use the specific weights for nic, vg and pg though.

2 Likes

Thank you a lot! but I opened this post just because of what I read in the post that you attach here. I use the “Manufacturer specified gravity” that they propose there, but they are equally bad that the equivalence 1ml = 1g.

For example:
Sweet Strawberry - Capella Flavors.
Manufacturer specified gravity: 1,004 g / ml
Gravity calculated by me doing the average with 14 bottles: 1,284 g / ml

I think it’s a sufficient amount to break a recipe, and I’ve noticed it in numerous aromas of numerous brands, not just in a few CAP bottles
:frowning_face:

2 Likes

Well i think that the manufacturer reported specific gravity as per the sds sheet would be more accurate than the average of bottles.

9.2. Other information
Refractive index 1,412 - 1,442
Specific gravity 1,01 - 1,04

4 Likes

I agree and disagree. Lol. For small scale mixing 15-120ml I don’t think its enough to break a mix. That’s an opinion and not a fact. But I have been using 1gram-1ml for a few years now and feel my mixes are doing just fine.

I do though feel that when jumping up to 1 gallon then working with volume for measurements may be more accurate at that point.

2 Likes

That is quite a large difference?!

Let me ask you a stupid question. When weighing the bottles you do remember to subtract the weight of the empty bottle, right?
The reason I’m asking, is that the difference is very close to the weight of an empty bottle, so if you had forgot it, it would explain everything.

2 Likes

Yeah, I took 13 ml of all the bottles (with different syringes and measuring glasses in case one was wrong), and weighed them separately on a scale with the tare at 0.
The average of all was that :frowning_face:

1 Like

That’s the point, I mix for a lot of people and I usually do about a half a gallon, and I think that from 1 to 1.28g you can notice a significant difference

1 Like

I know, I know it has to be more reliable, but it does not mean that from 1g to 1.28g it has left me a little pensive about whether to use grams or volume, at least for this batch.
Thank you very much for the information!

1 Like

The manufacturers do not put 13.000ml in their bottles!
They may have slightly more, usually not less.
And your measurement will differ depending on the temperature of the liquid. You will get a consistent product if you let all the ingredients warm up to room temperature and conduct your mixing in a reasonable time, or keep the room temperature constant.
As the mass changes due to temperature fluxuations you will have just as inaccurate measurements mixing by weight as you do mixing by volume. The key is to allow all the ingredients to come to ambient temperature before mixing.

3 Likes

With that Option checked you will be mixing OUR recipes, and we mostly are all using the same “Specific Gravity” (ELR database driven). If we are mixing with the actual weight/volume and you are mixing 1=1 the recipes won’t be exact and could impact the final experience/flavor …especially if you are mixing in larger volumes …but I see/read you get that. The idea being, recipes you see on here and many other places are also using Specific Gravity based volumes. It is simply Scientifically correct …AND Welcome to the Forum!

4 Likes

I find it odd that “several 15ml TPA bottles, and the contents of all weighed 15g” but you get a variance with CAP and FA. The SG of TPA flavorings aren’t all 1ml = 1g.

The trick is to get as close as possible to what the recipe author intended. Unless indicated in the recipe, you don’t really know if it is using SG (whether it is ELR database, manufacturer SDS, or their own measurement) or 1ml = 1g. Without knowing that then what you make, at best, is an approximation.

When I switched to mixing by weight, I weighed amounts like you did to get SG. Results varied greatly and some not even close to what was listed on their SDS. At that point, I said screw it. I ignored my mild OCD, stopped overthinking it, and picked a method that works for me.

I use the SG for nic/vg/pg, and 1ml =1g for flavors and didn’t notice any real change in how my mixes tasted compared to when I mixed them by volume. If the result is good to your taste, then saul goodman. If not, tweak it. Same applies when using SG.

If you do use 1ml = 1g, I don’t think making a large batch compared to a small one will make any difference to the final outcome. Its percentage based and that doesn’t change.

And keep the scale. The benefits to using a scale outweigh mixing by volume. :smile:

7 Likes