Extracts and Measuring by Weight

Then I haven’t found a specified gravity - there could still be an MSDS-document :slight_smile:

Sort of. That varies depending on whether the specific gravity is more or less than 1g/ml as well as the % of flavor the recipe uses.

In the 1.57% less example I used:

Vanilla Custard by Capella - specific gravity is 1.067g/ml

100ml mix using 25% vanilla custard = 25ml

Using 1ml = 1g then 25ml would be 25g.

Using specific gravity of 1ml = 1.067g/ml 25ml would be 26.675g

Since I’m using 1ml=1g, I only put in 25g. To convert the grams used back to ml: 25g/1.0670sg = 23.43ml which then converts to 23.43% of a 100ml mix. So in this case, I am using 1.57% less of the vanilla custard and 25g does not equal 25ml.

Using 25% of one flavor in a recipe is an extreme example. Most recipes I’ve seen don’t have such a high % of one flavor ingredient. If this recipe only needed 5% vanilla custard, then the difference would only be .31% less rather than the 1.57% less. So unless your making a recipe with extreme flavor %, the difference between using 1ml=1g instead of specific gravity is minimal, and that is why I mix using 1ml=1g. I was driving myself crazy trying to find exact weights for each flavor striving for complete accuracy. When I did the math, the final answer was fuck it, 1ml=1g is close enough. As Walt said:

For those that are curious, the recipe with the extreme amount of vanilla custard is called Custardy Lovechild: Vanilla Custard-CAP 25% ; French Vanilla Deluxe-TPA 6% and Sweetener-TPA 2%

4 Likes

Thank you.

I think I’m going to frame your explanation to use whenever specific gravities come up…
:+1:

1 Like

To everyone that posted here - Thanks for putting up with my questions. I poked around online and decided to ask the community I was already “working” with - at first I didn’t want to because I’m sure it’s a subject some of you are tired of talking about but I had to find out the details for myself. Again, thanks! Everything comes together reading the posts and I’m sure I’ll stick w the 1ml = 1g on extracts unless something really strange comes up. Thanks again to everyone!

3 Likes

No thanks needed. Questions are always good. We all started somewhere.

2 Likes