FDA Deeming regulations are published

Just signed it.

Another good read that hopefully some of our Congressional Leaders read.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sallysatel/2016/04/11/congress-save-e-cigarettes-from-the-fda/#40941e7c6d14

6 Likes

http://larrywfaircloth.com/fight-the-fda/fight-the-fda-now/

Please Sign this petition created by Larry W Faircloth (State Representative WV)

4 Likes

Saw this on another forum.

Sen Johnson (Wisc) wants some answers from the FDA

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/media/majority-media/johnson-seeks-answers-from-fda-on-burdensome-e-cigarette-regulations

9 Likes

Nice write up, I sent the committee a thank you emailā€¦

1 Like

Sweet find @Big_Benny_MI , if more letters like this could be sent to FDA maybeā€¦

Excellent idea, I did as well.

If you arenā€™t already on CASAAā€™s mailing list, you should join! This was sent out today. (I think I relinked all the links but let me know if I missed any)

CASAAā€™s May 2016 Newsletter is coming soon, but, we wanted to make sure our members had some important information and engagement opportunities at their fingertips while we work out the finishing touches.

Hereā€™s what you need to know for Thursday, May 19th, 2016:

A real petition that needs your participation:
Del. Larry Faircloth (R-WV) has proven himself as a valuable and effective advocate for vapor products in West Virginia. Now, in the wake of the FDA deeming regulations, he is taking his talent and legislative experience to lawmakers in D.C.

Please take action NOW by signing Del. Fairclothā€™s petition ā€“ which will be hand delivered to specific lawmakers ā€“ and support his effort to stand up to the FDAā€™s overreaching and disastrous regulations on vapor products.

Take Action - Sign the Petition

Survey - Centre for Substance Use Research
Last month, we alerted members to a survey produced by Dr. Christopher Russell, Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Substance Use Research. The information gathered will help present to regulators, academics, and medical professionals a more accurate picture about how people are using vapor products and contribute to the conversation about how vaping can benefit public health. Dr. Russell is still collecting data and hopes to make this the largest survey of its kind ā€“ the more data the better!

Take Action - Complete the Survey

Change the predicate date for vapor products!
This week, CASAA updated our engagement in support of a change to the predicate date for products newly deemed to be tobacco by the FDA. We have made a slight adjustment to the letter we are asking members to send lawmakers to include support for both HR 2058 and the Cole-Bishop amendment. Please see our updated post here for more details. If you have not already taken action on this issue, please take a moment today to send a message to your lawmakers urging them to update the predicate date for vapor products.

Take Action - Send an Email

Update on the Deeming Regulations
Since the FDA deeming regulations were published for public inspection on May 5th, weā€™ve been reviewing multiple legislative and legal challenges to the rules. CASAA has joined with other groups in a coalition to explore all of these options as well as PR strategies. We are committed to combining our efforts to fight this battle on multiple fronts. This is an intensive process and, given the high stakes, we are thoroughly considering all viable pathways to challenging the FDAā€™s deeming regulations.

We are all aware of the desire for quick and decisive action in this matter. However, one hasty decision or poorly worded statement can create problems down the line. It is vital that any action is fully considered before being executed. A well-crafted and focused effort has the best chance for success. It is time to act with purpose, not react emotionally.

Some Good News
On Wednesday, May 18th, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI), chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, sent a letter to Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Robert Califf raising concerns about the agencyā€™s recent e-cigarette regulation, which could create undue burdens on small businesses and lead to negative unintended health consequences. We will continue to update you as this effort progresses. You can view the letter here.

If you are on Twitter, please also take a moment to retweet Sen. Johnsonā€™s message to the FDA. Feel free to ask the @US_FDA and @FDAtobacco to respond in your own words ā€“ politely ā€“ and use the hashtag #AnswerRonJohnson

6 Likes

https://www.khlaw.com/9094

Case anyone would like to know a little about the Cole-Bishop Amendmentā€¦

3 Likes

Good find - We are not out of the woods by any means but the fight is getting underway. We must keep the pressure on every elected official

3 Likes

Oh hell no, far from out of the woods. The way things stand at this time they can essentially call anything a tobacco product and basically tax the hell out of it or require licensing to buy nicotine, equipment, ejuice for business. Maybe even ban sales of nicotine to the public. Remember, it is a tobacco product. Their authority is nearly limitless as things stand since they now call this stuff tobacco products.

Their authority means nothing me, I refuse to live my life or make my choices based on their opinions and bribes from corrupt influences. I live in a community near several gated housing developments. Mayor lives 3 miles away, the Sheriff lives down the road not even a mile, the Magistrate lives not even 3 miles away and there are several summer homes here that congressmen, lawyers, judges and politicians own here on the east coast. Yet if I want to buy meth, coke, crack,heroin, pills or pot you can get any of those in a five mile radius given you know the right people. Do you guys think that some corrupt entity is gonna stop me from vaping? What dealer is going to sayā€™ " Oh shit, thatā€™s VG, PG and Nicotine, I can get caught with that shit!" I donā€™t condone the sell of drugs, but if I can get any of those illegal substances if I wanted to, Iā€™m pretty sure I will never be worried about my vape. Not trying to promote the illegal sale of illicit drugs and I find an obvious fact for vaping to not even comparable . However, it is detrimental to my health for me to get my vaping supplies and that is a conscience and logical health choice. I find these ridiculous rules to be breaking worthy to say the least and I find that rules based on corruption and at the expense of public health to be considered void. I say work under the table and stay there if we have to as long as needed, the rest will work itself out. Nevertheless, whether legal or illegal, I will continue to vape.

The sources against us claim that they are protecting the children. But when you look at these same people making these arguments, they are the first ones to take funding from education programs and free lunches. How can they care about the children so much if they donā€™t care if they are dumb and hungry? They think that we donā€™t know what they are up to and they do not see how bad all this will end up if they do get a ban. Things will get as bad for them as much or more than it will for usā€¦

The FDA, Big Tobacco, Big Pharma and the greedy corrupt (D) Senators wonā€™t get any money from tobacco sales tax from me, EVER. As long as we continue to pursue our vaping past time and hobby, they will have to change course, we just cannot give up on our vaping passion, EVERā€¦ By refusing to give upon our rights to our passion, we will persevereā€¦

All very true, and it may come to that. Wish it were that easy for me though.

I as well, Iā€™ll mix my own. Not really worried except for hardware. Even that shouldnā€™t be a problem for at least 2-3 years so thereā€™s time for different options, even legally.

Oh yeah, we know itā€™s all about the money. Sad thing is even if we can turn this around it more than likely will be after all the small vape players are forced out of business and honestly that would nearly destroy the industry. Probably also see all the decent juice companies bought up by the tobacco companies. I just have to wonder how may of these juice companies will want to put up with all the rules they have applied to manufacturers. I have a feeling weā€™ll see some of them take the cash and run. Oh and about a ban, if any it will be on nic to the public since you and I know they will never ban the food items which is the remainder of the ingredients in our juiceā€¦

My prediction, weā€™ll see a miraculous change in heart and the regs will be laxed AFTER all the small players are forced out of business or bought out. Once Big Tobacco owns the majority of it weā€™ll suddenly see things SUPPOSELY going in our favorā€¦

I wonā€™t quit either, guarantee it. I will never spend another penny on cigarettes. I finally learned my lesson and that being smoking is for nitwits, not the likes of myselfā€¦

1 Like

There will always be a way to get all we need, nic, devices and allā€¦

1 Like

Sadly, that option wonā€™t work for a lot of people. Iā€™m not exactly looking forward to being some sort of ā€œvape drug runnerā€ for my parents who live a state away. I can easily imagine my dad backsliding to cigs if vaping becomes a big hassle.

2 Likes

ā€œThe committeeā€™s decision doesnā€™t mean the amendment is law. It will now
have the chance to go forward as part of an appropriations bill and be
voted on in the House of Representatives.ā€

3 Likes

Yeppers, thatā€™s Cole-Bishop. If it goes all the way thru, things would be a lot better for us.

Not perfect, but at least youā€™d still be able to buy current-gen tech 2 years from now, instead of being locked into black market gear or shitty '07 cartomizer BS.

5 Likes

OK so I have been on a mission with hand written letters to all of the elected officials in WV.
I am shocked by the utter stupidity shown in this reply. So far this is the only response I have gotten but I will keep posting what I get. Please keep in mind every correspondence I send out voices my opinions and my full story as posted on CASSA testimonials page.

This must be a auto reply form sent out by her to anyone voicing there opinion on vaping. It is like no one even read what I sent them.

THE FIGHT IS ON NOW.

Anyway here is the idiotic reply I got.

May 24, 2016

Dear Mr. Hill,

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns with the Tobacco Control Act, specifically provisions pertaining to e-cigarettes and vapor products. Your input is a valuable part of the legislative process and I appreciate the opportunity to learn your views.

Enacted in 2009, the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act gives the Food and Drug Administration authority to regulate the manufacture, distribution and marketing of tobacco products to protect public health. The law attempted to curb the trend of new users from becoming addicted to tobacco before they are old enough to understand the risks of tobacco use.

I believe that the Tobacco Control Act was the correct step in promoting public health and that the FDA should retain its authority to regulate tobacco products. The FDA recently announced requirements that affect manufacturing, ingredient labeling and restrictions on the sale of e-cigarette products to those under the age of 18. I will closely monitor these new regulations. Should additional legislation specific to e-cigarettes and vapor products come before the Senate for a vote, you can be sure I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to hearing from you again soon and invite you to visit my website, www.capito.senate.gov, for further information and to sign up for my e-mail newsletter. It is an honor to serve you.

Sincerely,
Shelley Moore Capito
United States Senator

She just did not get it

1 Like

What an excellent point! And indeed, if and when the time comes that they do squash our ability to buy unhindered as we do now, NOT going back to cigarettes will be the bane of their existence! I happen to believe we must fight this battle on many fronts. And while generating a resolve to never return to the cancer sticks would certainly be the last-ditch effort, preparing for that possibility now would be smart. Because we may lose the fight against our government as they have proven time and again what formidable foes they are. So in the course of conversation with fellow vapers, where we agree to band together in the fight against the current abuses of power, we should also make sure we agree that if we lose, we NEVER return to smoking. EVER. Because what they will be looking for if they win is a tremendous return to smoking and thus a recovery of lost tax revenue. I for one will have a belligerent FK EM attitude about that.

5 Likes

Oh they get it. The point is they intend to win.

2 Likes