First "successful" build on an RDA! (pre-made coils & learning to build my own)

Thanks! It is pretty awesome. I haven’t re-wicked the coils yet and It is still pulling great flavor. I’ll have to check the mm on these, I’ll take a pic of the container and post It. The guy at the shop was pretty excited about the quality when he gave them to me.
I’m definitely going to be experimenting with coils. Can you point me to a good kit, please?

3 Likes

2 Likes

Ok! I am hooked. The likely progression has progressioned. I’ve started to learn how to build coils and it’s really fulfilling. I used to say I had no intention of getting into rebuilding coils, I didn’t want a new hobby, I just wanted to screw in a new coil from the pack and carry on… but making my own e-liquid and finding this group forced my hand! You need a good rda to test with, and then you’ll need a good supply of coils… but that is expensive, too! So, here I am. And it’s pretty darned cool.

My first fused claptons are a mess, they ended up becoming twisted fused claptons due to a poor choice of impromptu swivel, a lanyard hook! But they fire. With a lonnnng ramp-up, but they work.

The 3x24g twisted flattened kanthal are much nicer, but I haven’t loaded them onto a deck yet. I imagine they will have better ramp-up. I used the method where you straighten, twist, then run a flat pair of plyers along the length of the wire while it’s spinning. I forgot the guy’s name, but I watched it on the youtubes. It looks much easier than using a hammer!
I’ll keep at it and get some acceptable tools here shortly. Any advice would be appreciated!

9 Likes

Total mess! Haha! But they work. Had to scrunch them up to not touch the inside wall, but it’s safe until I make a new set tomorrow. Regulated devices are great for this! Don’t think I’ll be trying anything unregulated for a long time.

7 Likes

You are progressing nicely.

I found, when I was coiling, that I would lose track of time. Go in to make couple of coils and 3 hours would disappear from my life. Totally checking put of reality

8 Likes

Thanks! I can see how easy that would be once I get into a groove and know what I’m doing. It’s a good focused meditation.

3 Likes

It’s always good to get a pack of swivels from your local fish gear store, ebay, amazon, or wherever. They’re cheap and useful. Use 2 or 3 at a time in case you have a lock-up. If you don’t have them, using your wires loose in a tube may be a better idea.
You can use stuff like paperclips or key chain rings to keep your wires flat while you’re claptoning them. And I’m not sure if you have them already, but get yourself some beadalong wire tamer as well for easy hands-free perfect (fused) claptons. They can easily be used up to 40g wire.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips! Swivels and spool tamers are on my list, just haven’t made it happen yet.

1 Like

Oh my Lord, I DO NOT want a new hobby, and I have tried and succeeded to BACK OFF on my eliquid recipe hobby! Fell into the rabbit hole of buying a larger battery and an RDA thats shorting consistently (freaking Freakshow Mini), searched and got here to find out reasons for the short…

I like the clapton coils pack I got to go with the RDA. Kind of expensive but my taste is not extravagant – might just use single coil. Someone please cyber-slap me if I buy wire and go down that hole. I promise I WILL slap myself in mirror IRL in response!

I want to get OFF the nicotine for good - one step at a time, tho I guess. Had to buy new mod BC old eGos used up & found myself with cigs in my mouth again, after stress of losing my job a month ago…

In the meantime, is the space inside the Freakshow Mini barrrel just too freaking tiny?? Only using simple, quite small 24g pre-built coils I gotta put my reading glasses on to setup… Trying v. hard to isolate the cause of these shorts. Can’t use the damn thing as is. The basic Infinite Omega I got as a spontaneous add-on before pressing Order button is working much better (still got a stock 1.5ohm coil in there, tho).

Solved! Freakshow Mini shorts

What do you do when your ecig setup is stressing you enough to make you crave a real cig?? Argh!

Maybe I should start a split thread…?

1 Like

I just saw the pics, those are big coils for that guy, look more like they are hitting the sides of the barrel.

Crap… that helps me a lot cuz I think it means its all too tiny BC I can barely see the parts inside there as is. I guess I can search for something like “generous build deck” next time…

1 Like

If it’s too hard to build on, why not look out for something with an easier build deck and more space? There are so many options these days…

Also building with regular wire, using hemp and unsweetened juices may extend the life out of your coils and make you have to build less often.

1 Like