Flavor Ban Thoughts Anyone ? FDA at it again

See, that’s just fucking retarded. AFAIK real CBD will not get someone stoned anyway. The extraction process, done correctly, removes the THC part of the equation.

8 Likes

I use CBD myself and all I have is actually harvested from hemp plants that are grown specifically not to have any THC present.
Tennessee has some crazy stupid laws.I live in Kentucky where CBD is legal to use and a large portion of hemp is grown here as well.
Most CBD products as you state contain no THC , the stores closed in this article were selling enhanced CBD that has some synthetic drugs added.They are called Spice , K2 , Zombie drugs etc and have resulted in a few deaths.
I hated to post this on the ban about flavors or anywhere actually because it has nothing to do with vaping. The problem is most of the stores closed are indeed vape shops and were sold in the form of gummy bears flavored candy. I am afraid even though these were not intended or used by vapors they will still use this bust to further their agenda and gain support to ban flavors.
Sadly the CBD and Vaping industry are plagued with some idiot vendors and they hurt all of us.

11 Likes

They also grow Tobacco in the south? Any idea who may be causing trouble?

Oh Jeez… OMG… Inhaling and chewing on Strawberry Banana is better than the flavor of Tobacco?

What? You’re kidding me!

4 Likes

Don’t forget Big Pharma.

9 Likes

From what I’ve heard the jury is out that vaping is definitely not cool. It has taken the danger out of smoking, what’s cool about that?

8 Likes

I don’t understand their point of view. Just because allegedly 31% of youths are vaping because of the flavor, doesn’t mean that they would just do nothing if the flavor wasn’t available. Some of them would probably smoke or dip instead. Also, there is no link to the “study” they did to figure out these percentages. I would also like to point out once again that Vaping is to this day thoguht to be a lot safer than smoking, so let’s assume that 60% of youth that vapes, would smoke cigarettes instead, that’s a 40% increase in a much safer “bad habbit” at the cost of less smokers.

Let’s present a conundrum, pick one; A:100 young smokers + 50 vapers. B: 50 young smokers + 150 vapers

Edit: I would also like to point out the nicotine free choice with vaping, which you do not have with smoking. I know for a fact that many of the young vapers do not use nicotine, they just vape for the flavor and clouds, which is harmless anyway.

8 Likes

So by the FDA’s thinking process regarding flavors here is what I propose. Let’s start in the alcohol industry “since drinking & driving kills more people that smoking & violent crimes combined!” I rarely know anyone that drinks pure unflavored alcohol. Now let’s move onto the food industry. Obesity is a big problem here in this country, which leads to heart disease & other issues that kill people. So let’s remove the flavors that are added, yes that would include herbs & spices. I’m sure the soda & candy industry basically would go out of business overnight. We can go on & on with each industry including “pharmasodical”. Do they really want to go there.

6 Likes

Seriously, who wouldn’t prefer flavoring over what tobacco? 31% of young? That’s impossible, that’s numbers would be in the millions that would of been surveyed!

5 Likes

Please forgive my further derailment of this topic but I had rather this be hidden in this thread. I am hearing that it is now cool for kids to vape these Jewel (yes , it is spelled wrong on purpose) devices. They are getting nic high by taking a bunch of pulls , tokes, inhales what you will in a row. The thing about these devices are the lack of flavors but kids still prefer them for the “high”.
We all know the flavor argument is pretty weak. Sadly if you search that brand on YouTube you will find lots of videos. One even discusses how to hide your device in school.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Derailments are fine but ty for being considerate , i think everything that has been said is fine for this discussion … i do believe its all related

2 Likes

i just read about this " juuling " the other day

3 Likes

Yes it was a big topic of discussion a couple of weeks ago , seems one popular YouTube idiot posted a video of him sub ohming some 50mg nic salt juice.I think enough of the community flagged the video to get it pulled .
I think the FDA is going to do whatever the lobbyists paying our representatives tell them to do but I do hate seeing these stupid video’s about vaping.

4 Likes

I’d seen somebody sucking on what looked like a USB drive and now I know what I was seeing. LMAO. I knew it was some kinda PENIS I just wasn’t sure what.
( personal electronic nicotine inhalation system )
:sunglasses:
http://truedrips.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Juul-Self-Unit.jpg
Juul starter kit

7 Likes

Oh boy, here we go again.

1 Like

In all honesty they are a great way to get some smokers to become ex-smokers. Most of these also have a great cig-alike tight draw that the smokers have become accustomed to. They also contain about 35-50mg of nicotine of the newer nicotine salts. The Nicotine salts have a much smoother taste than the freebase nicotine we are used to using. So there is no harshness and one or two inhales equal the nicotine we would get from a single cigarette .
This also makes them great for stealth devices for those who have to hide or sneak a vape.
I am also seeing these devices selling higher than retail on eBay. I know some people like myself will pay slightly more for items online just for convenience but I can’t stop thinking that some of these buyers are probably paying more because they don’t have to prove their age.
Back to the topic at hand , I am afraid the FDA is going to make things harder. I don’t think they will be able to hurt most of us that mix our own but I am afraid they will make things much harder for the ones in the future that will be trying to quit.

2 Likes

OK here is what I do not understand about all this “FDA FLAVORS Ban”

Maybe there is an attorney out there that can help me with this. At some point the FDA must, as a part of the regulation define their use of the word FLAVOR. What, exactly, is that definition going to be?

Here is the problem as I see it: I am not an attorney but I am a chemist. One of the favorite demonstrations of professors teaching an undergrad introduction course to chemistry is to use various chemical reagents to demonstrate that many have a very definite “flavor” that can be readily identified. How is the FDA going to draw a legally enforceable distinction between a “chemical” and a “flavor”… All chemicals (or hundreds of thousands anyway), have an identifiable “olfactory profile” to humans. Is the FDA going to list every chemical on the planet as a “flavor” then include some as OK and exclude the rest as Not Permitted?

Seriously, and here is one for the attorneys out there, Is the FDA going to say that all vape juice on the retail shelf must be run thu a GC/ MS and then compared against a list of acceptable compounds? There are over 4000 compounds in a tobacco leaf, so obviously that approach will not work as a practical matter. How are they going to define the use of the word FLAVOR ?

Exactly what is this regulation going to say, how is it going to define in any practical sense, the word “flavor” and will that definition be enforceable ?” Speaking as a chemist, I would say that all compounds when brought to the human olfactory sense have an identifiable “flavor”… Even plutonium is known to have a flavor. Although I have no idea who it was that licked the bar of plutonium, but they claim it has a dense sweet lead like flavor. Hummm

There may be a silver lining here; Many of you know me from my rant posts about my opinion that the thousands of RY4 and similar recipes in the ELR Database that are labeled as “tobacco” are, in fact not “tobacco vapes” at all ! I have pointed out in many posts, that most all of these are just your average flavor concoction, blueberry, custard, whatever, with a small percentage of RY4 thrown in then —> BAM! the mixologists says “See here my latest “tobacco” flavor” - Well of course, 99 percent of the synth concentrate RY4s contain no tobacco whatsoever anyway, … BUT wait (drum roll please…) this whole state of affairs (calling non tobacco based recipes “tobacco”) may be a blessing in disguise, because what is the FDA going to do with all of you here at ELR that insist on calling a blue-berry bubble gum + 0.0001% RY4 a ’tobacco vape’ ??? There are thousands of such reciepies in the ELR database. So we just tell the FDA, “Look here fellows ten thousand recipes called ‘tobacco vape’ on the well respected ELR database can’t be wrong !!! “

I, for one, really want to see how they are going to actually craft and phrase this crazy regulation.

3 Likes

OMG That’s hilarious!

1 Like

Is it possible to ban flavours? They are for food / beverages too right?

3 Likes

I believe the ban being discussed is for flavored eliquids, particularly those found in cigalike devices.

3 Likes

Oh, I see, flavoured E-Liquids… Yeah why not, they banned flavoured cigarettes, didn’t they / aren’t they putting a ban on Menthol? Yet they say they will keep Tobacco and Menthol flavours for vaping… :thinking:

Alcohol / chocolate / crisps / sweets have a flavour too, they should ban all flavour so nothing is appealing :unamused:

4 Likes