Flavor coil?

I’m still trying to grasp heat flux and other intricacies of coil building. But for now I am liking these Ni80 builds. I have a lot to learn. I have been building smaller gauge coils for my old Kangertech RBA’s and keep surprising myself with what I can get out of that old jewel.

5 Likes

What is this Deep water Ti build?

Will have to order some more wire in different gauges and do some more experimenting!

Titanium is used with TC? I haven’t explored that rabbit hole yet! I don’t think I am tasting metal in any of my builds. My palette is still not quite right has only been 4 months since i put the smokes down.

3 Likes

Titanium should be used only with TC. That’s what I heard at least. Never used it myself

4 Likes

That’s what I thought. Taking my baby steps but may have to try it at some point! Especially if i can get better taste out of a good recipe!

3 Likes

Sometimes the simplest is the best :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The other thing to consider beyond the build is the rda and airflow/chamber size and the like. For example I have the rebel recoil and only like custard and cake type vapes on it…to me it’s not good for fruity vapes…like I loose some of the high notes.

Just something to consider.

6 Likes
6 Likes

I have to be honest, till I saw you mentioned it some months ago, I wasn’t even aware of titanium. But to that time I didn’t have a mod that would perform well enough in tc.

Since I own now a 250c, I definitely take a look at it, and maybe give it a try. Lightning Vapes is the only place that sells it, in the US?

5 Likes

Unfortunately just round wire isn’t something I use. Tried different gauges but just get mediocre flavor.

I use quad core fused, triple fused, staggered fused claptons or aliens they ohm out at around 0.25-0.35 single, dual is much lower of course.

It’s still thin wire tho, could go 10-14 wraps but that ramp up would be horrible lol. I stay mostly around 5-7 wraps and occasionally space them, depending on my mood that day.

7 Likes

Temco has Ti Where to buy Titanium Wire

6 Likes

Yep… I was about to say the same… good prices too.

4 Likes

The Kanger RBA for the SubTank line is a mighty little jewel, ain’t it? It’s what I learned on when I first started building, and even with as much as I’ve learned I still keep mine handy for when I’m low on juice or go out of town. I can vape all day and still have some battery life left over when I use my Subby. Twisted 28 gauge spaced coils are perfect for that little powerhouse!

6 Likes

I usually stick with spaced coils, as I get a little better flavor and don’t have to hassle with working out hot spots.

That’s the great thing about vaping tho-So many ways to tune your vape to get maximum enjoyment!

8 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the link! I can see some experiments in the near future!!

Yes Sir it is!! I usually take that to work with me. Batteries will last all day and usually refill the tank mid day and I’m good! I keep cramming more exotic builds into it and it just keeps getting better!

2 Likes

I have no 28 AWG but I did a 26 AWG twisted and then wrapped a 36 awg around it and it worked really well. Been messing with so many coils in the past few weeks and can’t remember what is in there now! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: but its reading .43 ohm and tasting fine!

3 Likes

Just make sure you clean it before you coil it. A lot of Ti wire has some oil or greyish dusty stuff on it and you want to get that off with some alcohol and paper towels. I use a little steel wool pad under running water and it works well.
All my Ti wire comes from this dude:

Works for me and the flavor is fantastic.

6 Likes

Somtime coils make absolutely no sense.
I have 2 kylin vs rtas on the go.
1st has a pair of flat claptons coming out at .21
Taste is very good.
I just cleaned / rewicked it and decided to be a rebel and chuck some mtl coils in other one.
2nd .3mm ka 9 wraps not even spaced coming in at .75 for the pair.
Same wicks for both done at same time.
I used them both all day yesterday and fuck me the simple coil tasts better.
My tiny mind is blown.

5 Likes

two things are happening at the same time there. The 2 different coils almost certainly have a different heat flux and flavors react different at different temps. i ya want to compare closer you could run the build thru steam engine calc and see what watts u have to run each coil to get the same heat flux. The second difference is the o.d. and lengths of the coil. If u dont run the same distance between the airflow and the coil it gets muted, too far away, or choked off w/ not enuff room for the air to flow around the coil.
I understand the common mistake for an atomizer to suffer in flavor is attempting to shove the biggest coil they can in. This is all the beauty of diy coils tho in finding the build for your atomizer and situation used.

7 Likes

Id is the same but obviously od is going to be a bit bigger on the claptons.
The pack doesnt say what what the clapton cores are so no go with calc. Not scientific at all but tinkered until both seem about same temperature.
As you pointed out its probably down to airflow. With the smaller one more room to play with and line up better to maximise air coverage.

Still even with all that i was surprised at how good the titch was.
I have some of the vandy vape superfine clapton i will try that next i think.

6 Likes

That’s what I noticed. It looks like the airflow is hitting closer to the bottom side of the coil on the simple build and there seems be more open space for the air to flow under the coils.

On the bigger build if the coils can be pulled up higher you may notice a flavor improvement.

6 Likes