Flavor Factor ~ VW Mod vs Mech Mod

Using 316L/7 will bring down the temp a bit. So far i find 30-35w to be my sweet spot. I probably wont vape above that much. I got the subtank mini today too, the coils that it came with were crap so i used the RBA base, its now perfect at 30w.

Them extra watts will make you wish that you had an extra lung!

2 Likes

You should get on the Clapton Bus. You wonā€™t believe the Vapor/Flavor. You can build high ohm / low wattage Claptons too. You ever do any twisted wire?

5 Likes

Manipulating flavor with a coil build. Thatā€™s how I induce the Flavor factor. When coils are built with different types of wire they heat up at different rates. Certain flavors tend to pop at different temps, so staged heating will produce a flavor thatā€™s different from a standard coil. Notice the color variations in this build. each shade you see is a different temp thatā€™s producing a different flavor in the juices,
a lot similar to what you experience as your battery start to drain. Itā€™s like vaping a fresh battery and one thatā€™s draining all at the same time. Now thatā€™s some serious flavor factor.

Iā€™ve found that Stainless Steel wire (317L or 316L) has the fastest ramp up time Iā€™ve seen. Combine it with any other wire type and youā€™ll have a staged heated coil.

6 Likes

I can see how this would work. I guess Iā€™ve been on the lazy bus with my coil methods! Perhaps, now that I have a Sig 150w, I can start to branch out with my coiling.

Patience? Can you buy that somewhere? Cause thatā€™s what Iā€™m gonna need a lot of when it comes to the clapton coil!

4 Likes

I suffer from the same disorder. Duals and parallel builds are about as much as much hands can handle.

3 Likes

I just finished vaping a tank of juice from my new Cloupor and WOW this is a game changer! Do you know how many recipes Iā€™m going to have to revisit now because I didnā€™t think they where any good? If youā€™re still using a twist style battery do yourself a favor and upgrade! I quit smoking 16 months ago and jumped into this with both feet. I got into DIY juicing and coiling quickly, Iā€™ve spent this entire time making recipes that have been rated 5 stars by countless other only to be disappointed, until now. I think Iā€™m going to go have some fun now! :blush:

5 Likes

Yup, it has been a wild ride as of late. I just bought a Sigelei mini 30w to replace the mech mod which I usually take to work with me. I have to say, I do like pressing that button and getting the same results every time.

2 Likes

To hear you say that Jim!!! Sounds like youā€™ve been fully assimilated

3 Likes

Iā€™m afraid itā€™s true! I used to use a mech mod for taste testingā€¦not any more!!! To have that coil at the perfect temperature is glorious!

3 Likes

Pro Vapes mentioned this in another thread somewhere and I tried this, I agree with his method since I make my coils like this regularly. Oh, and thanks Pro Vapes for sharing this method, excellent creativityā€¦

1 Like

@Pro_Vapesā€¦Hey there, Happy New Yearā€¦So I am starting to experiment with coils different types of wire combinedā€¦eg: 28 gauge Kanthal twisted with 28 gauge SS 316L I vape on a lot of mini Tanks like the Goblin Mini V3,ā€¦ Merlin Mini by Augvapeā€¦Serpent Miniā€¦They all have nice sized build decksā€¦have indeed found interesting effects with the flavor profiles of my vapes with the Kanthal/SS 316L twisteds and am learning how to adjust Ohms of my buildsā€¦Hereā€™s my questionā€¦Are there any SAFETY considerations to be aware of with the use of combining different wire types ? Do they pose any risks that I should be aware of that are different from simply running straight 1 wire type coils?

The only wires I know to be cautious of is Ti and Ni200. These 2 get extremely hot and will meltdown fairly easily when they are dry. As far as SS and kanthal, combining them poses no issues. Be careful of how thick you twist your wires because it increases the gauge causing lower ohms. Just check your ohms to make sure your battery and mod can handle your builds.

@therabidweasel is our resident metals expert, so maybe heā€™ll weigh in with more advice.

4 Likes

With VW devices i am doing the same thing whatā€™s been mentioned before, find sweet spot, enjoy consistency. Adjust up and down a bit depending on time of the day and temperature of the tank. When chain vaping i sometimes go up a little bit. On a Crown1 with the 0.5Ohm coils it varies somewhere between 45 and 58 Watts.

But now Iā€™ve discovered PWM and that surprised me a lot. Not sure if all devices behave like this but the one Iā€™m using now (Big Alā€™s iPWM) is kinda different during the life span of a pair of batteries. With full batteries i get some really strong flavor even on lower voltage and later on i have to turn it up a bit. between maybe 75 and 40% battery power it is nice and consistent but i have to adjust the power slightly. I rarely go below 40% but as long as you adjust the power it is pretty consistent. But the first 20% of a fresh battery are great. Lots of vape but not too hot or overwhelming.

Thank you @Pro_Vapesā€¦I appreciate your input

1 Like

I went the other way around and started with regulated mods and got over to mech mods. Today i only use mechs and RDAā€™s since i find the vape i get extremely satisfying.
The regulated devices i have mostly collects dust today, i got one that i use to dry burn the coils when i rewick my attys and thatā€™s about it really.
I havenā€™t tried DNA and PWM mods so i canā€™t say if that would change how i feel but as for now i am so satisfied with what i got that i have no interest in trying those kind of mods either.
But who knows what happens down the road, i might get into it one day :wink:

1 Like

I suppose my only concern would be mixing Ti with other metals. The oxide layer it forms could cause the build resistance to shift over time which would cause current to flow in odd patterns through the coil. This is just an educated guess on my part. I would certainly never run a mixed metal build in TC and I wouldnā€™t mix Ti with anything. It would probably work, but I donā€™t like have a build blow while Iā€™m sucking on itā€¦its happened to me in my Bellus a few times, always due to shorting.

As an aside and somewhat related to my long-winded explanations of Ti, I recently had a Ti build blow without shorting. The entire coil became pretty brittle, as I found upon disassembling, but it actually blew just as the wire bent on the first wrap coming off the post. This could have been due to cold-working at the bend, but I try to build everything without bending any hard corners.

Now, this was a TC build in a Cthulu V2 and I loaned it to a guy with a build that I vaped an entire tank first, just to make sure the screws stayed tight and the JFC was good. At some point he had cut the JFC off almost entirely. The Cthulu is not a good beginner tank due to the weird, if usable, JFC. His juice was very dark when he returned the tank to me 3 weeks later. I was thinking WTF? I opened it up to find beautiful white hemp and coils that showed very little use, like brand new looking. He had apparently cooked the juice while in the tank! I rinsed it in vodka and began vaping it and it blew on me a couple days later. Since thatā€™d never happened before, Iā€™m pretty sure he had just cooked the coils dry pretty good without managing to burn the hemp. But it could have been the bend I suppose. Sorry for the aside.

I agree with @Pro_Vapes statements above and would recommend not mixing Ti.

1 Like

Got this from @Tracy8
Have no idea what the heck to do with itā€¦never had a mech modā€¦does somebody want this. Itll be free, since i got it for freeā€¦
Thanks tracy for it though

4 Likes

@Laura5 ā€¦ Being that Iā€™m a frequent user of Mech mods, Iā€™d be more than happy to take it off your hands. :grinning: ā€¦offer accepted.

Iā€™ll send you a PM. :wink:

1 Like

You got it dude!

1 Like