Flavor Stash: How do I add a second bottle of the same flavor to your stash?

I have just bought my second bottle of a few of my favorite flavors [same flavor, same company] and I want to add them to my flavor stash. But my first bottles are not yet empty. How should I enter this to make sure I take advantage of the function that adds the cost to your recipes? Do I just change the amount of mL’s in my original stash entry [eg: 5mL + 10mL = 15mL’s ]? Or do I make a second stash entry [somehow] and put in the new bottle? What’s the best way?

There’s really not a need currently to keep track of the total quantity you have. The volume and pricing currently helps you to understand what each bottle cost and how much the portion you use costs in each recipe. There is no full inventory management function in the calculator. I know Lars has mentioned adding in batch management functions later to the tools, and I’m not sure if that would include inventory. For now though just the first bottle needs to be there for cost estimating.

4 Likes

Unless the company has changed the price of the flavoring, there’s no need to worry about how many bottles of it you have when calculating the cost of a given quantity of a recipe. 1 ml of the flavoring costs what it costs, regardless of whether you own 15 ml of it or 1500 ml of it. Think of it this way - if you buy enough potatoes to make potato salad to go with dinner tonight, or if you buy enough potatoes to feed potato salad to all the sailors on a battleship for a month, the cost of one cup of potato salad is still the same. The ELR calculator gives you the cost of a given quantity of an individual recipe; it doesn’t give you the cost of your entire vaping supply inventory.

1 Like

Oh. Okay. I just was reading the posts about the importance of putting in cost. I am okay with not changing it or putting it in. I just thought I had to, or to be more precise, that it was a good idea. And, I do see differences in cost as I go from only being able to buy small bottles to being able to buy larger bottles. In the beginning, I wanted to try many flavors. As I level out, I don’t need to buy so many different flavors but want to buy larger bottles of favorite flavors. But I can always change the price when I get there.

It’s a very cool feature! Loved it the moment I saw it and recipes with an estimated cost. That cost estimator actually played a big role in my starting to make my own juice. When I am paying $25 for something that someone else is making for $3.50 I just couldn’t ignore that any longer. My juices may not be on par (quality/taste-wise) with the big name juices YET but I am confident I can get acceptably close to even better.

Thanks for making all of this, btw!

1 Like

@UncleTopher - that was what did it for me - when I was buying pre-made e-liquid, I began to realize that I really wasn’t saving that much money over buying cigarettes. DIY is definitely the way to go.

2 Likes

I will definitely love this feature once I get to order finally. But even so, with only using my little evod2 tank for now, a 30ml lasts me over a week, closer to two, and that still beats paying about $6 a day in cigarettes, not by much once I add in coils, also, but hey its a start… Once in making juices (and get past the start up hump in price) things will be golden

1 Like

@mikelej14 - I’m excited for you! I was paying more like $15 a day for cigarettes (previously I was a very heavy smoker), so you can imagine how much money I’ve saved. Now I have actually some money at the end of the month, instead of month at the end of the money! I bought a 10-pack of coils back in December 2015, and I still haven’t run out. I calculated how much money I’ve spent on cigarettes for the last 30 years - it came out to well over $100,000.00. Unimaginable. Anyway, making your own juice is really not that complicated. And it’s so cheap.

2 Likes

It’s expensive to start up, when unemployed, and obsessed with it, but also with an annoyed girlfriend lol I haven’t been able to get anything yet, but I have come up with some recipes of my own to experiment with when I do… Just getting everything I’ll need all at once up front is hard for me to justify to her when she doesn’t like smoke or vape, just barely tolerates the vaping as it is. :confused: shit just always hits the fan for me at the worst possible times. I’m stuck vaping cheaply made garbage out of cheaply made garbage for now.

1 Like

@mikelej14 - you have my sympathies. In my case, my partner still smokes, so no matter how much I spend on vaping supplies I can still point out to him that my vaping hobby is cheaper than his smoking. You said you used to spend $6.00 a day on cigarettes - if you have completely quit smoking, then point out to your girlfriend that after a couple of weeks of not smoking, you can get a good DIY startup kit from the money you’ve saved. I don’t understand how vaping can be all that offensive to others anyway - it’s not like our vapor reeks like cigarettes.

1 Like

It still hangs in the air and makes her cough, she’s sensitive I guess idfk lol she hates going to the vape shop with me because its always cloudy in there.
She just tells me if I can’t afford it myself I should just quit.

1 Like

I was smoking like 1.5 packs a day for 25 years…then when I swicthed over to e-cigs AT FIRST I was saving a ton of cash. I was smoking out of an ECTO 1300 VW Vape pen and buying the crap juice they sell at that head shop. I simply didn’t know better…and I thought the juice was good…lol.

THEN I stumbled into a real vape shop and all that changed. Got gourmet juice for the first time HEAD EXPLOSION
Smoked out of a box for the first time…started buying more and more powerful equipment (I got a TON of use out of Eleaf’s iStick iJustGO2 btw…those little bastards can smoke and are well built…and under $30 for the whole set up).so I went from saving money to actually spending MORE. If I am doing a lot of work from the computer at home, I will easily go through 20mL’s a day or so. Started adding it up and, going rogue and DIY was my only option or quit everything.

I am there with you guys on having your significant other pissing in your ear about this stuff. I do tend to fog the house out though, so she isn’t totally wrong.:smiling_imp: It’s just in my mind I am a walking air freshener…so I try and spread the love all around as thickly as possible.

2 Likes

It’s embarrassing to me to know that the top reason I quit smoking cigarettes was the “money”, with my health as a quick afterthought. But it was the money that actually made me make this leap [and all the other attempts, as well, come to think of it]. I’ve tried to quit at least twenty times and the longest I made it was 3 months and “that” was while constantly white knuckling it. So, the “painless” way works for me. But I knew early on that I would have to learn DIY coils and juice. So, the start up costs ARE high. Between the mods/tanks/coils, juice, and coil/juice DIY supplies, I’ve yet to pay less per month. But hopefully that will lessen. My main goal now is to make a juice that I like. I haven’t gotten there yet. But I’m just a beginner and have only made a few recipes of my own and didn’t initially understand the importance of using/copying others’ recipes first. I have now bought enough flavors for a few highly reviewed recipes and hopefully the balance will shift to me vaping my own juice more than store-bought juice. Note to noobies: Don’t expect that you can stop buying store-bought juice when you start ordering DIY supplies. You may get lucky but if you’re like me, it will take you a while to be able to make decent tasting juice. And try other people’s recipes first. You may get lucky with your dream concoction that you’ve been dying to make and vape but it also takes a while to learn the intricacies of flavors and how they mix together. And start with small batches. Have fun!

right on, man! Thanks for the encouragement. I have already made a couple critical errors and had about 100mL of REALLY bad concoctions go down the sink. Being that I look at things in retail terms that was about $70 I flushed away. Thankfully I bought in bulk on my VG ( 3.7L), PG (250mL) and NIC (120mL) as well as some of my flavors I knew were in recipes I like I went with the 4oz instead of the 1.27oz. As I am burning through the little 8mL flavor testers, I am going to try and keep up a good variety as best I can. I am enjoying the hell out of the entire process and this is really turning into a good hobby for me.

Keeps me out of the bars anyway :smiling_imp:

1 Like

@UncleTopher, Hehehe… I recall saying at first that I wasn’t going into this as a hobby. LOL Yeah, right! It “is” a fun hobby, anyway!

I was smoking 2 packs a day for 40 years…haven’t had a cig since December. I went all in, nice mod to start with, a few extra tanks, even a dripper to taste test my mixes. I bought everything to make enough juice for over a year. $200 is what I spent. Was spending $300 a month on cigs. I make a couple I absolutely love for myself and seems my family is liking my flavors too so I figure a $200 a year habit is much better. Not to mention how much better I feel.

2 Likes

But if he buys from a different vendor and a larger quanity, the price will change significantly. I try to change the price when I run out of a small bottle and have purchased a larger bottle at a lesser price.

1 Like

@Cloyce - of course, but the OP specified “same flavor, same company”.

2 Likes

My bad and my apologies. When I said, “Same flavor, same company”, what I meant was, “same manufacturing company” and not the same vendor that sells the flavorings. I’m so sorry if that was misleading.

1 Like

@Exluvah - no problem!

1 Like