Flavor Stash Question for DIYFS

I have been SFT’ing some DIYFS concentrates and it appears there is some confusion at least on my part. And others i am assuming, based on the entries in the database. When inputting these concentrates into your flavor stash, what is the proper abbreviation? They are not widely used but there seems to be a bunch of different abbreviations! Makes it difficult to find others notes and or recipes.

1 Like

When you input your flavours a list drops down with different options. There are numbers at the end of each flavour.
I would go with the ones with the highest number behind it, that’s usually the right one.
That way you get most of the notes and recipes too.

The wrong ones are weeded out regularly but also appear as fast as they were deleted.
I’ve seen stuff in the flavour list like #fuck the rules and other nonsense so some people just don’t care about having a well functioning database :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Well, it seems the most popular flavor: Holy Vanilla is listed as:
Holy Vanilla (DIYFS)
so I would suggest following that pattern.
Flavor Name (DIYFS)

7 Likes

I did this as you recommend here but my ocd is kicking my butt!! I was playing with “Pillow Talk” for example and when you look at recipes to see how folks were using it, I’ve noted recipes that will have other DIYFS concentrates in them with different abbreviations! As you also mentioned using the database is a crucial part in learning to DIY IMO anyway!

6 Likes

< flavor name > < brand >
< Apple > < DIYFS >
It gets really confusing w/ some newer brands w/ little precedents tho. This may help but is basically what @Josephine_van_Rijn said A Beginners Guide to Creating Your Flavor Stash
edit: discourse didnt like “<” w/ no space prior to text, must be some comp geek thang :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

This seems to be the most logical Abb for these flavors! I used this for the dozen or so that I added but then when looking for notes on a couple of them there were none. I edited my recipe to the DIY on another flavor and found notes and 111 recipes!

5 Likes

(DIY) seemed to be used for peps making flavor bases, stones, their own extracts, etc. If u go the extra mixing mile to do that then you earned the right to post em there.

4 Likes

Lmao! I think people just say f*** it and put whatever they want!! I just wanted to make sure I was not adding to the mess!

5 Likes

DIYFS is what I use and I think that’s correct.

4 Likes

The following list is probably out of date but it can help. Might need a little updating.
re: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/vaping-abbreviations

4 Likes

Debated mentioning that post. We really do need a list with not only the correct abbreviations but the brand that should be used in rebranded cases. Would be great if someone would put together such a list…tag your it @Brotherbob :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

This is the best approach.

There’s also OSDIY… Which I imagine also has been lumped in with the generic ‘DIY’.

I’ll see if I can make some headway in this grouping tomorrow. I’ll pull up both OSDIY and DIYFS sites and see what the current offerings are, and condense things into the proper groups and labeling structure. We’ll see what happens, and hope there’s no similar named flavors.

4 Likes

Nice list! I guess I used the wrong wording in my search or just wasn’t persistent enough in doing my research before posting this question. I didn’t find much as far as DIYFS abbreviations.
Thanks for the link.

List is a great idea, would help in situations like this. I think the problem would be getting all users to use the same list!
Would be nice if you were limited to certain abbreviations when inputting flavorings into the database. Along that same line, not allowing flavors to be input without the manufacturer’s correct abbreviation. I’m sure that would be a daunting task with the sheer number that are now available!

3 Likes

I’m not sure as to other brands but just in doing my testing with these concentrates I found that the “DIY” is being used for multiple brands pretty frequently. Lots of recipes using this DIY for the flavor shack line.
I would be a volunteer to help in anyway that I could. I really enjoy the recipe side and have learned a bunch from the forum side as well. Would be an awesome way to give back!!

4 Likes

I also opened DIYVS (DIY Vapor Supply) since I remembered that one as well (after I replied here).

Well I spent more than 4 hours in there today (so far) and I was able to clean up a great deal of OSDIY (One Stop DIY).

“DIY” as a whole, is a giant minefield.
There’s not just brands to consider, but also folks sometimes use it as a descriptor for their homebrew flavors (think stone, or NETs).

Anyways, I ran into a lot of varying possibilities, on several fronts (as is often the case). Some are easy to condense, as even with misspellings, or incorrect formats, etc, there’s only one company that actually makes a flavor.

Others though, you have to cross-reference three different websites to see who makes/sells what. ON TOP OF THAT, sometimes folks just put where they bought it (which pisses me off :rage: - that’s what notes are for) because even though OSDIY doesn’t make “sweetner”, but misspelling aside, they do SELL Sweetener TFA. So then you have to go into “Sweet” (because if you use sweetener, sweetner will not come up in the list), find TPA as a subset, then mark that as the “correct flavor”, then backtrack the TPA and change it to OSDIY, find the screwed up name (Sweetner-OSDIY) and mark it as a dupe. Then process the two.

Had another one listed as “Stevia OSDIY” but OSDIY doesn’t make such a thing. They DO however sell KAL brand Stevia. So repeat the above process (because Stevia KAL was properly entered). All thanks to someone listing shit where they bought it, as opposed to who makes it.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re not all that annoying, but I’m trying to illustrate what has to be done in some cases for a single entry.

Daath does have plans in the works for an overhaul, but in the meantime, just try and do the best you can to make sure you enter any new ones as carefully and as accurately as possible!
This alone is a huge help.

The other helpful thing is to report “screwballs” as you find them!

There’s a whole host of other examples I could list, but you’ve already seen some, and I’ve no desire to bore you any further. lol

Anyways, I appreciate the heads up with the DIY section. I’ll continue to work on it. And if you guys see obvious things (that you’re pretty certain only one company makes, and it’s not a homebrew, or NET), submit it via the dupe checker!

7 Likes

There exists a spreadsheet on google.docs i believe you have to search vape or diy flavoring+ google docs. Its a good start anyhow as it shows which are rebranded flavorings…

1 Like

Don’t mind me, I would find the answer if I need, if such exists then it would be nice to have posted here for people w/ questions.

1 Like

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F_cINrXQESSNTBxrsrvJqs_j6GTl4dOhlq4pmhlvNP0/htmlview

2 Likes

Nice doc. for who carries what but I thought u meant a list of rebranded names (aka) example Northwest=real flavors,lotus=medicine flower wera garden=inawera, thks tho, bookmarked

1 Like

The doc is older and clearly needs updating. Like i said its only a good start. It does list signature as TPA ;p

3 Likes