Flavors coming out peppery

you could throw Tpa vanilla custard in there as well if it helps narrow down the pepper culprit :wink:

2 Likes

Perfect, I was just about to ask everyone for all the flavors that have this effect.

TFA Cheesecake
TFA Ripe Strawberry
TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
TFA Vanilla Custard
TFA DX Sweet Cream
TFA White Chocolate?

FA Black Tea

Any others that people find peppery?

2 Likes

I’d say that you’ll at least have a very good starting point there. Looking forward to the results of your investigation! Remember to eat something on the third day lol

2 Likes

It appears that the Butyrate is what is causing this peppery taste. If I am correct, it is in the same family as Butyric Acid (Don’t quote me on that, I am not a chemist). I could also be the Maltol they use or the Vanillin but I doubt it is the Vanillin as it is not in SB Ripe (The one on the very left).

If it is the Butyrate, this does not bode well for anything related to Butanoaic/ Butyric type compounds used in these flavors. It may not effect everyone, but something that works universally for everyone would, in my opinion, be a better flavor overall. Less tailoring mixes from person to person.

EDIT: Left to right>
Ripe, VBIC, Custard, Cheesecake
DX Sweet Cream on bottom left

6 Likes

And this is not so common in other flavors?

1 Like

Searching by CAS number, it appears that it is very common in quite a few flavors, more than would fit in one screen.

Though, if you notice in the previous picture, it is higher on the list meaning it is used at a higher % than the other ingredients. Perhaps the other flavors that contain, it don’t use as much.

CAS No. is: 105-54-4

You can search the TFA database, click list and it will bring up the compounds in each flavor. At a glance, the other flavors don’t use it as much as the ‘peppery’ ones do.

6 Likes

This is great - thank you for looking into this! Very interesting.

1 Like

Awesome work petal :smiley:

3 Likes

I find if you let TFA VBIC steep a while longer around 1 month the black pepper note is not obvious or is gone depending on what % it is used at. For me if it’s anything over 2% I’m going to know it’s in there so I give it a month for sure and it’s great no black pepper taste. Because I got tired of the black pepper note showing up I switched brands to LB ( Liquid Barn ) to their VIC - vanilla ice cream …there is no black pepper note ever and I can SnV the juice if I want but give it another 3-4 weeks and it’ll be the most buttery sweet ice cream you’ll have ever vaped ! So before you write off ice creams check LB’s out !

5 Likes

All great stuff here! I’ve noticed too that as I lower nic, which is happening naturally, the peppery taste diminishes. I have no idea if it’s cumulative or an interaction though. I also tried reducing TPA Strawberry (ripe) and I found I really like that flavor. I put it back, lol.

1 Like