Food for thought..?

i find tpa orange cream is a lot like grand marnier… doesn’t need much work imo

1 Like

Loranns makes Orange Brandy flavoring, hard to say if it will taste the same as Grand Marnier, but its a place to start.

1 Like

Not sure how this got derailed into an orange liqueur conversation. Maybe you guys need a new thread?

4 Likes

HOW DID WE MOVE TOWARD ADULT BEVERAGES & MIGHT AN EXAMINATION OF SUCH REVEAL ISSUES THAT ARE RELEVANT TO THE OP’S QUESTION (ABOUT ERRONEOUS RECIPES FROM YOUNGIN’ LIKE MYSELF)?

First off, when it’s that time of the day and someone mentions a drink, even in passing as @jay210 did… “By the way, did anybody else think this thread was going to be about food flavours (as opposed to drink flavours) ?” … I’m likely to consider the beverage.

And I haven’t given up, I actually answered my question with a simple Bing search.

I finally found HIC’s GRAND MARNIER MOUSSE on VapingUnderground. I also found 2 versions of it here, but they haven’t updated the ingredients nor do they use his recipe ratio. He clearly states in his comments: “Some people double my percents… The important part of recipes is the flavorings and ratios - the total percent is whatever works for you”.

So why is it that neither ELR version is true to HIC’s nor do they offer any reason for the variance. Why does one of them have a top banner “This recipe is a copy of: HIC’s Grand Marnier Mousse” while the other does not. They both cite the same VapingUnderground posting. While there are only 2 recipe’s in question here, it is demonstrative of the bigger issues. Ten people don’t all need to post the latest YouTube recipe. If Freshepies posts something new, I make a private adaptation of it and would only make it public if I feel I made a significant alteration others might find useful.

“Got a Light?” is a good example of such. My version pay’s homage to his but is geared for both the Menthol vapor & anyone looking into Nic Salts. Both the recipe name and the notes I included point this out.

Now let’s look at the two Grand Marnier Mousse authors on ELR. One has 22 recipes, and you can see a bit of personal experimentation going on but nothing ground breaking and it’s all short lived. The 2nd author has 141 recipes * of which 8 were not entered on the 1 other day they used their account and made public 133 versions of “HIC’S XYZ123 RECIPE”. I think this is the sort of behavior @Eigengrau would like us to consider curbing.

That said:

Here is the HIC’s recipe (which was updated last fall to swap in the Royal Orange):

2% FA Brandy
2% FA Custard
2% FA Orange Royal (or plain FA Orange)
1.5% FA Bergamot
0.5% FA Fresh Cream

HIC’s also went on to answer my query:
“For the liquor cabinet, I would use equal parts of Brandy, Orange, Beramot, and Custard. I’d suggest 1.5% each. That is a straight Grand Marnier type flavor. That’s the formula I use for mixed drinks type vapes, and as the base for Grand Marnier’s special flavors. mmmmmmm, one of my favorite liqueurs!”

Before I let you all put down your vapes, which I hope you have been enjoying while reading my diatribe, PLEASE LOOK AT THE FLAVORINGS RESOURCE FOR BERGAMOT. One run through of this sidebar of a flavor and you will find the very basic issue we should be addressing first… people not entering flavoring names correctly. How often should we ask this be reviewed to clean up the wasted space on the server here?

That’s it. G’nite and…

Cheers all!

2 Likes

*facepalm *
I just knew that was gonna be my fault . :blush:

This kinds reminds of the the way our dear old Briitish rail network has to keep closing stretching of line during the autum n on account of “leaves on the tracks” . Yep, a fallen leaf is enough to derail a train, if you’re not careful. So they say (though I didn’t believe it 'til now :laughing:)

Ah well, my actual point was that nobody , but nobody is gonna guess what this thread is supposed all about from the title are they? So, where;'s the harm in just letting it turn into it a free-for all? Maybe i’m easily amused, but I’m finding it pretty damned amusing that it’s currently about the last thing you’d ever guess from the ttle.

Maybe we ought to just move it to the pub? :laughing:

2 Likes

https://i.imgur.com/ZaVv147.jpg
We couldve just continued here i suppose

6 Likes

As the OP of this post, I am outraged, I say, I say, enfuriated, I say, I say, affronted, (spittle flying) that you would flagrantly take liberties with MY thread… Oh, the scandal. Woe is me :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, move us to the pub. I feel much more at home there anyway. :wink:

As for my equivocal, misleading, click bait title… Ambiguity is my specialty… :grin:

3 Likes

:tada:

We are now in the pub!

I just used my “regular” superpowers for the first time . I shall try not to let it go to my head.

:beer:

5 Likes

I took the liberty of ordering for you. http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/2265687
Did I overdo it on the notes?

3 Likes

looks nice ! Cheers! I wonder if I can possibly come up with a PG-free vesion? (not with my pesent stash , sad to say. I’ I’ve yet to get my hands on a decent, PG-free brandy )

1 Like

Whether it is carpentry or cooking, often folks are quite proud of their beginning efforts while others may consider it trash. I’m a bit new here, but have been DIY mixing for four years and some of the recipes I’ve perused here do seem ghastly.

As a beer judge I’ve sampled some nasty things. Often I’ve been asked to not be too accurate in my assessment and provide some positive remarks. Why would I want to do something like that? Apparently these brewers may be looking for encouragement for a beverage they think very highly of. The theory is Not providing any may cause that person to simply give up.

Heck, while what we may consider these recipes posted by newbies to mixing here sub par, they may in fact be far better than what they have been vaping before. (Especially if their past juice was from a rack next to the cash register in a gas station :wink:)

Could something they view as negativity to their recipes (again that they are proud of) cause some to simply go back to stinkies?

If so, I think I personally would rather wade through the “outright rubbish”.

There is a Beginners section in this site. Perhaps a “Beginners New Recipes” area could be added and encouraged to be used ?

Just my 2 cents…

8 Likes

I hadn’t considered it in that light. I really don’t mind wading through the swamp if it keeps even one person from the stinkies. Great comment mate :smile:

3 Likes

My bad, you guys. Didn’t mean to ruffle feathers. I recently read all through hundreds of comments on the rules thread and forum founder thread about etiquette and moderators and such. The general consensus on derailed threads, and there was a lot of input on this, was that we should try to avoid it and self-moderate the threads. I saw a giant derail about to happen and acted. I was also a step away from asking OP to rename this thread so people would know what it was about, @jay210! Nevermind all of that.

4 Likes

There are a few good threads with some nice tips and recipes for beginners. I can’t find it right off but didn’t look very deeply yet so that’s my fault.

If anything would need to be done with sorting, maybe something like an asterisk denoting a new ELR user versus an older one, although time registered doesn’t really equate to good recipes over bad. It’s just all so subjective I’m sure there’s really nothing that can be done about the setup that would be truly definitive.

4 Likes

That is one opinion and very different from mine. If you go back to sinkies because someone doesn’t like your noobish over-flavored unbalanced recipe, then something’s seriously messed up with you and you may want to see a pro to talk over and work out your issues…

There’s nothing wrong with keeping the place a bit orderly and not making a mess, especially if the place is not even your own and others have to deal with your mess one way or another. There’s nothing wrong with a few enforceable rules to prevent people from willingly make the place a mess either.

4 Likes

I agree with that. If you’ve gotten deep enough into vaping that you move into DIY, you’re likely not to run back to analogs if someone says you mix like a groundhog. If that was true, I would have gone back two years ago! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (Side note, I no longer mix like a groundhog)

5 Likes

I had an idea that when someone in their 1st month or 2 goes to make a recipe public, that a little bubble alert could pop up and read something like:

“Are you sure you want to make this public? Is it a Single Flavor Test, a copy of an existing recipe, or a slight modification of the last 3 recipes you’ve made public that are all nearly the same?”

Maybe something more professional and a lot less condescending, but you get the picture.

Maybe better, an alert that says you have to type something in the notes field before you can make a recipe public.

8 Likes

Nice idea! I think, perhaps we need to bring this to the attention of @daath

2 Likes

I really like that idea too. At least it puts the onus on the user and not the site. A little ‘slow your roll, tiger’ is a good thing.

4 Likes

I like that idea. The problem I see with the beginners section in the forum is that some people don’t come here. They stick to the recipe side of things and don’t get a chance to check out the info

3 Likes