Fur babies!

Wow. What a trooper. Both of you! Here’s hoping he has many more days that are all good.

7 Likes

Thank you, Trigger has been a huge blessing but not without huge setbacks.
My sister was working for the vet that put the cast on too soon “before the leg had swollen” that caused the circulation to be cut off.As fate would have it sis was on vacation that week.

A day after Trigger came home I knew something wasn’t right as Trigger had lost all energy.I called the vet and he said it was normal and he would perk up within a day or two.The following day it was worst and he wouldn’t even sit up.I didn’t bother calling and took him to the clinic and luckily the young doctor was in and knew what had happened and immediately started removing the cast and getting the antibiotics going.

Needless to say , I told the older vet about what I thought of him and that put me and my sisters relationship in a bad spot for a short while.I can’t believe that I didn’t know to never put a cast on a fresh break but I found it unacceptable the vet didn’t know or care.Still unsure as he never would answer the question.

Everything worked out in the end .The young veterinarian along with his veterinarian wife opened a new clinic in town a year later and got my sis to come work with them.She has been with them ever since.

They know Trigger well as he has a star by his name! Stars by the patients name in the medical files can mean one of three things.The pet bites or the owner is an asshole or in mine and Triggers case both!.

5 Likes

What a beautiful cat she was. Sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

@Pattie … better watch out the Royal Family is in hot water for giving ice cream to doggies :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Every time I see your name and what follows I think of this

3 Likes

She was a sweet loving lap cat whether you wanted her there or not.

4 Likes

My male Chihuahua has a severe addiction to cool whip. any time we open any kind of a plastic container that sounds like a cool whip container he is right hoping it is and he gets a bite. :smile:

3 Likes

wow! It looks to me like tigger has a great owner!
He looks like my last jack russell, Dillan, but kudos to you my friend for caring for him.
He looks old but very happy. They play such a large part in our lives and it’s so hard after there gone but you will not get a better friend than your dog. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I’ve seen it on the news aswell buddy. I know some human food is not good for pets, but i give him icecream on really hot days in the uk and if you know the uk, then it’s rare. :yum:[quote=“mstokens, post:226, topic:25440”]
better watch out the Royal Family is in hot water for giving ice cream to doggies :slight_smile:
[/quote]

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words but like everyone on this thread I will do whatever I can for as long as I can.I don’t know the answer about how bad ice cream is for dogs.My sis gives me a mean look whenever I would give any of my pets a small piece of ham around the holidays but even she has no problems with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Rowdy my lab that I had for over 13 years demanded a cup of vanilla ice cream at least once a week .He knew exactly what was in the freezer and would sit in front of the fridge and pop his jaws and whine when I would make me a shake.
His favorite treat was jerky , I would have to make some unseasoned just for him.He loved the sound of the dehydrator!

4 Likes

Like you, i give my pets their little treats. Kalem loves ham, (who doesn’t) and a few other things but it’s always in moderation.
My last jack, Dillan, loved ice cream in the summer and he lived untill he was 15. I was out rabbit hunting with him on the friday night and he passed away on the Monday morning , so he lived a very full life.
I know human chocolate is toxic to dogs so non of that for him, but you can buy chocolate for dogs that’s been especially made for them. He’s not a lover of chocolate anyway, so no problem there.
So i tend to give what i think is good for him as a treat.

3 Likes

I think the issue with ice cream is the milk. Humans are unique in that we have lactase persistence. Lactase is the enzyme that breaks down lactose, and most mammals lose it after they’re weaned. And the only reason I’m saying any of this (not trying to be all smartsy fartsy, I swear) is because I thought it was fascinating when we covered it in genetics. I knew about people and animals being lactose intolerant (and a large portion of people are to some degree), but I thought it was cool to learn why and what that actually meant. So there ya go. If you didn’t know, now you do! And if you did, isn’t it cool? Or am I just a total nerd…? LOL

So all that randomness being said, I don’t think a little ice cream is gonna hurt your dog unless it’s causing stomach issues, tooth decay, or obesity. It’s not like it’s chocolate or onion or whatnot.

4 Likes
5 Likes

LOL Alright alright…I’m a nerd and the only person who cares about enzymes, I get it. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I found it interesting too.

4 Likes

Thanks for the knowledge, knowledge is always a very good thing!

2 Likes

[quote=“JoJo, post:236, topic:25440”]
I’m a nerd
[/quote]That’s news to me! :nerd:

3 Likes

Uhhh just lookin around …it’s like a Nerd Convention up in ELR
[raising hand] :nerd emoji:

4 Likes

I thought it was kewl ! I’m down with learning. My dogs will do some damage to ice cream & fro-yo they tried it a few times and are hooked :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They’re adorable ! I had one growing up your absolutely correct they can be lil monsters but not to ppl. Awesome and loyal doggies. I loved it when he would come back from the groomers with his cute hairdo and bandana.

So moma and son that’s kewl !

2 Likes