Going BatShit! Anyone Successfully measured coil temp?

I’ve tried a “bead” probe, an insertion probe, and an IR Thermometer. They all read way below what I know the temperature of the coil is. If anyone has successfully measured a coil temp I would surely love to know how it was done.

3 Likes

No freaking clue. :woman_shrugging: But I have to say, I really hope you figure it out because I’d love to see that info in your reviews!

2 Likes

PROBE

9 Likes

I have seen some people measure with infrared thermometer not sure how accurate. I measured with my finger a few times and it was really hot.

21 Likes

Not sure if it would work for coils, but maybe a thermocouple thermometer?

1 Like

@VapeyMama, Thanks! That’s exactly where I want to go. I really would like to know which of these mods actually do what they say they will. @woftam, ROFL, Been there, done that! I figure "Oh F$%^ is about 350°F. @Jim22, I think I’m onto something. A member of another forum shared a blog he wrote on measuring temps. I’m really close with the last experiment, and yes, he uses a simple thermocouple wire.

3 Likes

I don’t use temp control much but I always wondered about the accuracy of mods.I will be really interested in your findings.

lol, Me too! First of all if I can actually do it right. I will surely share whatever I come up with. Even if it’s just fried fingers, lol.

1 Like

@Jim22, @VapeyMama, @woftam

Ok, here’s the key:

Temp%20Measure

Trap the thermocouple wire under one wrap of the coil making sure the thermocouple wire is touching the coil wire. Juice up the atty and put the lid back on. I used a Tsunami with the wire going into the the drip tip and kept pressure on the wire to ensure it was against the coil. Fire that bad boy up. Worked like a charm. My Triade is running 10°F hot which is not a surprise as I bumped up the TCR a tad.

4 Likes

Surprised that an IR doesn’t pick up the right temperature. These things are built to do exactly such things accurately and a good one doesn’t even seem expensive.
Sure that your IR sensor is pointing where you think it points to? People say sometimes it points in a different direction from the laser pointer. I have one on my wish list for a little while now…

1 Like

If you do it like this, aren’t you always going to measure the least warm point of the coil (as it glows from the inside outwards)?

I’d be curious to know too what the difference between the inner and outer wraps is. And if there’s a significant difference in TC whether you use regular or fancy coils.

1 Like

Ain’t cheep but I have used their thermometers they are very accurate. Just thought id share

https://www.thermoworks.com/Close-Focus-IR

2 Likes

I bought an IR just for checking the coil temp and it didn’t work for me either.

1 Like

Range -67 to 428°F / -55 to 220°C

Not sure how useful this would be for coils

1 Like

Yes I know, was just an example and reference to the company, they have lab quality hand held thermocouple units that would work

2 Likes

Most all of them will not measure a small enough spot. Most will only measure down to about a circle of one inch. Averaging the temperature across an inch gives about half the temperature of the coil from my testing.

3 Likes

I was/am looking at that one as well, but now that I have the theromalcouple wire working I won’t have to spend the money. I like that. The IR would also be better at estimating the temperature of the vape I believe. Even with a spot of 2mm you would be getting more liquid/vapor than actual wire surface averaged into the reading. The liquid/vapor would be well under the ~400-450°F range I am looking to measure.

3 Likes

I am only interested in testing simple round coils to see if the mod will perform the calculations it says it will. Further testing of surface temperature from conduction is not my concern at this point in time. Maybe further down the road if I have a stack of cash to throw at it I will look into close focus IR more.

3 Likes

Ok mate i am a boilermaker and some times you have to preheat metal to a certain temp before you weld this is what we use crayons i know sounds weird but they are pretty accurate here is a pack but obviously source them locally. You could set the temp on the mod to the crayon of choice then wipe the crayon on the coil if it melts it has reached that temp. Just an idea any way and could be a cheap option.

7 Likes

Thanks! That is definitely new to me. Had no idea.

3 Likes