Goon 1.5 drama

Literally illegal mate. Price fixing.

5 Likes

Every last one of these companies, cloners included are ripping us of. These things don’t cost shit to make. That’s true to ever product in any market though.

The arrogance and the way they treat vendors and customers is very indicative of a shitty company but the price point is largely consumer based. People are willing to pay for the authentic at their asking price, so of course they won’t adjust it. They may not sell as many as the clone companies but they sell enough to turn a pretty hefty profit. As consumers in any market we are to blame for continually allowing companies to set outrageous prices. If they act like jackasses though they are really going to need to reevaluate their asking price.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure Apple, Microsoft and every other big company has a say on what people are charging but I could be wrong.

1 Like

So glad I ordered clones from my friends in china for $6.50 each. I was soooo close to ordering authentics direct from 528 not 2 weeks ago.

4 Likes

3rd paragraph.

4 Likes

But that isn’t what is going on. This is a manufacturer that sells direct to the consumer at its MSRP, and expects vendors to compete directly at the same price. No problem, Apple does the same thing, many manufacturers do. What Apple does not do is claim a vendor is selling fake iPhones when they undercut the MSRP. They would simply not sell the vendor any more product. This situation is libelous, and 8vape should consult their legal council. They have been defamed by 528, and their reputation has been harmed based on the claim that they are selling clones as genuine. If I was 8vape, I’d own 528 customs.

5 Likes

you are right , but the company has to have that deal in place MSRP maufacturers SUGGESTED retail price , this is merely a suggestion in which a lot of companies suggest this price because its what they sell their product for themselves , its not a price someone like eightvape has to go by unless its in the initial proposal , you are correct though it is the right of a company to do this it is not illegal , what ever anyone thinks the actions of 528 were unethical , im in sales and i never bash another company when they beat my bid , or i never knock another company because they buy stock and can sell it cheaper because i dont stock it , anyway i hear what your saying …

2 Likes

First things first. You obviously have not read the linked Reddit thread (and Eightvape’s comment in it), or you wouldn’t even be attempting to play “Devil’s advocate”.

Awww. Sounds like someone’s business is actually tied into (still relying on) the antiquated idea/practice of “accepted price fixing” that’s been prevalent amongst so many retail entities for decades…

Correct, they were not bound to adhere to maintain 528’s artificially inflated pricing because they didn’t sign a contract stipulating such. Primarily due to the fact that 528 was more interested in unloading a reported 2200 pieces of “dead stock” cluttering up their wholesale warehouse distribution point.

Classy? It’s supply and demand. 528 “Customs” (Chinese mass production is custom made… LMAO) was oh so classy in saying, on at least two confirmed occasions now, that a vendor was “selling fakes” simply because MSRP (or MAP) was not used. And apparently this husband/wife team at 528 has had issues with lashing out at consumers as well. Yeah. There’s classy. Again I can’t understand why you would want to try and defend them or their practices.

Yep. I agree. 528 had too much stock and was more than happy to unload 2200 units for a nice payday of $55,000. So either way you slice it, 528 got paid what they were asking. At which point, it’s game over, sit down, STFU, and enjoy the profits for 528.

Yeah, but that assumes that someone at 528 would have had some real business sense, instead of the “gouge them hard, and move to discredit anyone who doesn’t play the game their way” regardless of the fact that they knew no contract was signed.

If you want to be part of the price fixing playground, then you have to control every step of the process (distribution or otherwise) just like Sony and Apple do. Not to mention, be sure that you don’t overproduce because your ego has gotten bigger than your actual sales potential. But that would require being “smart enough” to do so in advance.

Anyways. 528 and others like them, can go DIAF sale.

I’ll continue supporting manufacturers, products, and vendors that don’t gouge, or resort to such shady tactics (like intentionally trying to damage another business’ reputation with false allegations), yet still provide quality products at reasonable pricing.

11 Likes

Well probably a bad idea to post. I’m just the type to try see both sides of everything. I think maybe I didn’t go about expressing it like I wanted to.

528 is most definitely the villian here. They are fucked up to try and destroy someones livelihood. If they felt so strongly about pricing they would have put a contract in place. Obviously they lack that intelligence so when things didn’t go their way they acted like children, it’s not the first time and no one should be surprised.

On a positive note, Business is probably pretty good for 8 now and a libel suit would be pretty tough to make. The exact opposite of what 528 set out to do is almost certainly how things are playing out.

I’m going to go ahead and leave your forums though I’m not any good at them.

5 Likes

Its not illeagal, it’s a widely used practice called MAP which stands for Minimum Advertised Pricing. I am pretty sure that EightVape signed a MAP agreement. If so, they are bound by contract to not advertise 528 products below the agreed minimum price. That includes the display price on their website. That does not mean they can’t sell below MAP, just that they can’t advertise it.

That said, 528’s handling of the situation is truly despicable. No company should ever lie to thier customers.

3 Likes

This whole thing makes me wonder whether they actually signed a MAP agreement, because if it existed, why wouldn’t 528 just have enforced it rather than engaging in this stupidity?

3 Likes

Enforcement is nearly impossible. The only real recourse is to cut them off from future purchases and void any back end credits or discounts. Considering the qty purchased I assume EightVape expected this going in to it.

3 Likes

Don’t be silly, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with seeing both sides of any argument, in fact it’s to your credit, You won’t find an easier going forum anywhere on the planet, so please, your argument was valid and no one was having a pop, we’re all just infuriated with 528 right now certainly not you :wink:

Stick around…you’ll be glad you did I promise :grin:

12 Likes

Absolutely not necessary.

I’ve had problems trying to express my thoughts on different occasions, and folks have been understanding/forgiving (whichever applied to the person reading). So I understand what you mean there.

You did try to kind of see both sides in your original post, and I think everyone acknowledges that. I think if 528 had not been involved, and it was another thread, and just a “business discussion” (whether it’s practices and policies, sound ideas, etc) that you would have had a lot more leeway in playing “Devil’s advocate”.

Anyways, I don’t think you’ve done anything bad enough to warrant leaving. We’ve all mis-stepped now and then (Hey, we’re human!), but it’s how you recover. And personally, I think you can. IF you choose to. I’m not begging you, but just trying to let you know “things are not as bad as it may seem to you right now.” YMMV

6 Likes

Hell I ordered one, it was a good price and I wish to support 8vape, its their product now they purchased it (how better then to help them sell out their stock). I doubt I will ever by anything else from the manufacturer but ya never know.

6 Likes

Don’t be silly, there’s no harm done here and no foul, just a healthy discussion on business practices and ethics. It’s all good man!

10 Likes

I wouldnt worry about. We all got opinions. Stay around…participate. It’s not like you have been a member since 2016?

Either way…you I’ll admit it. I just submitted an order. And with the reddit12 discount and free shipping and sales it was a pretty good price for a goon or two (:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) and a minikin.

7 Likes

Please dont do that , imo you and your wife have brought nothing but good to the forum .

5 Likes

If a manufacturer, on its own, adopts a policy regarding a desired level of prices, the law allows the manufacturer to deal only with retailers who agree to that policy. A manufacturer also may stop dealing with a retailer that does not follow its resale price policy. That is, a manufacturer can implement a dealer policy on a “take it or leave it” basis.

3 Likes

Don’t do that, I was very interested in reading what you had to say. Also, I am a big fan of the Devil and his advocates. :sunglasses::japanese_goblin::pray:

6 Likes