Griffin 25 Top Airflow by Geek Vapes

sorry guys! didn’t mean to railroad this thread and turn it into another “Griffin leaking problems” thread … you all seem so happy with your Griffins and i’ve come along and put a dampener on it :confounded:

1 Like

The amount of cotton I use is the length from where it comes out the coils to the top of the bottom of the build base. I just stuff it all into the juice/wick ring and just a little pokes out from under the ring, it’s a pretty tight plug.

1 Like

Discussions evolve all the time. It’s all good.

I want to stress I only have the original Griffin and the 25 Mini. Don’t have the full size 25 so I was only curious.

1 Like

my wicking looks identical to the pic you posted in the “griffin leaking prob” thread… looks like it is too small but fills the juice channels fine and its barely showing under the bottom of the wicking ring… maybe i need to pay more attention to the finer details of the wick.

LordVapor wrote in the other thread “But the area between the coils and the top of the deck is real important too. The wick in this area needs to remain fluffy and it should form a wall between the posts and the chimney when you screw it on. This will block off juice flowing into the air channels. Now that I have started paying close attention to this I have not had a single leak

I’ve read and seen on youtube people recommending to poke the wick away from the post side down thru the juice channel to leave an open channel down thru the wicking ring… which conflicts with a lot of other advice given on ELR…

thank you kind sir… and re: that o-ring you mentioned earlier -

it’s there and without the glass that o-ring seems to seat nicely into the bell of the chimney… in these 2 pics the first one is the 2 screwed down until they seat and the 2nd is roughly were they sit when screwed down tightly when the glass is in place…

and by the way… your After Dinner Dessert (SthrnMixer Original) is yummy thanks for posting!

I’m surprised to see such a gap between the coil and wick. Seems to me this would not provide a vape that lives up to its potential. This isn’t a weak vape?

1 Like

it is a pretty thin vape but i’m just trying to eliminate all the possibilities for now…

when i first saw CallMeTut’s wicking i thought it was a bit thin but it seems to work for him. if you look at his post in the “Griffin leaking problems” thread, with the pics of his build and wicking mine might even have a tad more wick… it’s very close anyway

1 Like

I just rebuilt and rewicked a few days ago, just cracked open the tank and took a look at the wicking due to this posting… mine looks a lot like yours does @ke-vinci the wick doesn’t (at least in mine) stay fluffy and fill the interior area of the coils either, I do get a good volume of clouds/vapor though (ss 3.0 mm 7 wrap at .61 ohm)

1 Like

i just re-wicked again and it’s like the flood gates of hell… @SthrnMixer & @CallMeTut thanks for all of your help but it is time to lay my Griffin to rest… i won’t throw it (i really really want to smash it on concrete :tired_face::confounded:) but i will put it in the “too hard” basket for now… I’ve re-built, re-wicked, changed all of the o-rings, inspected it with a magnifying glass to check for any faults in the machining, wasted a ton of time and juice (lucky i mix my own) and I’m done. :cry:

I’m glad so many ppl are enjoying the taste and plumes they get from their Griffins but that sensation… for now anyway… will remain a mystery to me :sob:

2 Likes

Understood. I did the same thing with the Crown rebuildable deck. Totally have stopped using it for the same reason.

2 Likes

Your tank should have come with a replacement glass. Have you tried that to see if it fits better before giving up? You could also try replacing the or-rings that contact the glass at the top and bottom with the replacement ones and see if maybe that ones that are on it are oversized.

Also, you can get replacement glass from @Heaven_Gifts here:
http://www.heavengifts.com/GeekVape-Griffin.html

Currently their website seems down. It’s asking for a login. Hopefully @Heaven_Gifts will get it sorted soon.

2 Likes

I’ve tried the replacement o-rings for the glass and also saw a youtube vid where a guy puts the larger clear o-rings that come with the spares under the o-rings for the glass and tried that but nothing tho i haven’t tried the replacement glass yet… spent every free minute on it for a week after it first arrived a month or so ago and all day yesterday and the night before trying to get a result… the most frustrating thing is not being able to pinpoint WHY it leaks…

where the upper and lower chimney screw together has still got me thinking… the o-ring in that join just doesn’t appear to seat properly when screwed together with the glass in place as if the glass is too long…

That’s why I suggested adding an o-ring to it. If it will accommodate one that is. If you can eliminate the chimney as the culprit that would leave what…the base and the air flow, right?

I’ve had leaking problems plenty of times. Only on 1 occasion did I discover it was due to a defective tank. All others were my wicking. Just sayin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried a second o-ring but the few times i tried to screw it together the second one just got caught up in the thread and maybe 1/4 of it would hang out of the join.

in the first week i got the Griffin, when i replaced that o-ring, i used one of the black ones which are spares for the drip-tip because they were a bit fatter and i thought if it is an air leak from there it might seal better… but no

the only success I’ve had so far is the first time i filled it in round 1 and the first time in round 2 but i only filled it with about 2ml of juice both times… subsequent re-fillings where i’ve pretty much filled it to the top have just led to leaking…

If i can get a few uninterrupted hours this weekend I’ll go a 3rd round… DING DING! Ok… touch gloves and come out fighting…may the best vaper/atty win!

Edit: and here i was… 2 days ago wanting to smash it on the concrete never to adorn my atty stand for eternity… i’ve got issues :cold_sweat: :nerd:

The griffins are about wicking. Do not wick it right and you will have a juice siv. You want enough wick to cover the juice slots and no space between the juice slots and the wick. You will have a siv again. The wicking is very tempermental. You need to rewick every so often regardless. Or you could have a siv again. You also need a good amount of cotton for those holes to be filled. Just my thoughts I have the Griffin and the Griffin 25 for 4 months now.

1 Like

Totally agree… I’ve been looking at the mini, if only the price would drop, but it looks like it may be a slightly different setup.

1 Like

Honestly I would just go with the Griffin reg. I think the reg would out perform the mini. Also your build deck might be too small. Just my two cents.

I have both the regular and the 25, I had used the regular until I got the 25 (if that all made sense). I normally only fill the 25 up half way, so was thinking I’d like the smaller tank volume of the mini.

1 Like

That is why vaping is great. Each have their own ways to vape!

1 Like

The mini is a very high quality item. Excellent machining, great design. Easy as pie to build and wick and not a leaker. It’s perfect in every way…except…flavor. Sad really that it doesn’t have great flavor. I build with every build I could, even dual 22ga Titanium which to me is the gold standard, ie. if you don’t get good flavor with a dual 22ga Titanium build, you ain’t getting it! I did get a much improved flavor performance from a dual Clapton build, but even with that (good, not great) it’s probably the weakest performance for flavor of any RTA I’ve owned. If you weren’t overseas I would send you mine for you to see for yourself.

1 Like