Help for Newbie please

Well, neither am I trying to provoke you nor have I ever said “nicotine is not dangerous”. I have expressed my doubts and I have asked for prove. That’s all. I have not posted any monkey pictures nor have I told you you’re writing “crap”.

Although I have managed to fuck up any reputation I may have had here on ELR by getting into an argument with one of the cool guys now I maintain my position and before I haven’t seen any prove that it’s dangerous enough for us hobby users I even go so far to call you a fear monger.

However, I’m out of this “discussion” which is less discussion and more “it’s dangerous because everybody says so, although there is not a shred of prove to support my stance”

At the least this is bad discussion culture and style.

1 Like

get a scale

2 Likes

seems to have it sorted already.

I would add that I find having two set of scales, one milligram for flavours and one 0.1g with larger capacity for bulk components very useful (and economical)

2 Likes

Not at all. It’s a difference of opinion.

I think we all agree, including yourself, that safe handling of Nicotine is a must. But I do understand that the numbers of what’s safer over what’s not seem very arbitrary, and in fact I feel to a great degree they are. Suggesting 36mg over 100 is indeed suggesting a safer-to-handle product. But so would it be to suggest 12mg over 36. Regardless, we are experienced mixers and should be good stewards of new mixer’s welfare where we can. So please let’s all just agree that the number one priority is safety.

@DonRon to me one of the best investments since you already have scales would be some pipettes. These are cheap and disposable, and will be of great benefit to you later as folks invariably will end up buying flavors which don’t have a dropper included. Here are some on Amazon. I know @JMak642 had told me of a huge quantity he got on the cheap…maybe he can chime in.

5 Likes

It’s a personal choice, but I prefer to put my flavors that don’t have drippers in unicorn bottles. They’re cheap, a lot less work to clean every time after use (or throw away). I ordered a lot of bulk unicorn bottles online for a really cheap price. Works like a charm :wink:

3 Likes

We are a passionate bunch here. @DonRon. It’s usually much less acerbic, but we can get a little argumentative when it comes to opinions on serious issues like nicotine safety. It’s all from a helpful and caring frame of mind, though.

And…Welcome to ELR! May you have more successes than failures, and use your failures to achieve more success! There will be bad mixes as you get started and even after you’ve been going at it for some time. But there will be lots of great mixes early-on as well.

A little off-topic advice…To keep the waste to a minimum, you can make just 5 or 10ml in a 30ml bottle to test if you don’t have 10-15ml bottles. If you find that you like it, use the same bottle and make a 20ml batch right on top of what’s left from the first test. Let it steep for a few days to a few weeks and you’re good! If you don’t like it, set it aside to let it steep for a few more weeks and test again. Still don’t like it? Take notes on what you didn’t like and dump it in the sink so you can try again with a new version. I’ve made a few 60ml mistakes that no steeping could cure. It’s an expensive mistake! Good luck and have fun!

5 Likes

sorry my questions triggered the “debate” on safety but I do understand why so passionate when it comes to safety. This site is awesome… you guys giving advice leaving and rating recipes for us boob’s to follow is so helpful… thanks again guys.

8 Likes

hahahaha that should read noobs not “boobs”

8 Likes

Nothing wrong with these, they are naturally occurring, and exist at a rate of approximately 1 per human.
LD50 is probably in the range of 25-200g/kg facially, probably higher for other delivery methods.

Acute toxicity from extremely low to unprctically high depending on the individual.

3 Likes

@SuperFrog :question::question::question: I don’t get it.

2 Likes

That is unlikely. I almost said something very close to what you said, so I followed y’all’s argument. I think you may have been misunderstood from the outset.

Tell me if I am wrong, but I think what you are saying is… Yes, Nicotine is toxic therefore dangerous, we all understand this, including DonRon, Every body takes the necessary precautions ( we hope ). Even factoring in that accidents happen. Ok, all of that is understood.

100mg nic isn’t really all that more dangerous than the 36mg so why not get the 100mg? It is more cost effective.

When I was in middle school, I had a cousin that made, according to him, 100% pure nicotine, he then proceeded to show us just how deadly it was. I still have bad dreams about that day, no humans died, but plenty of animals. So I know just how poisonous nic can be.

I use 100mg and I don’t wear gloves ( nic can be absorbed through the skin ). You can use 100mg even a beginner, just Always respect the dangers of handling nicotine. I got it when I was a noob.

5 Likes

Fancy boob diversion, and of their lethal dose in the spirit of this thread due to DonRon’s typo in previous message. Kids tested but they can still be a choking hazard.
I will stop distracting the audience here and now. :blush:

2 Likes

@DonRon, i think the only piece of advice that i can add to this super exciting thread, is to search for a flavor supplier for FA, FLV and INW – some of your future “must-have’s” - which only you can decide what they are, based on what flavor categories you like (fruits, creams, cakes, nuts, tobacco, …etc) will come from these brands, i promise you that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I skimmed this and did a search to make sure somebody else hadn’t already given you this advice, but I’d say just get a 250ml of Propylene Glycol and a 1L to 1 Gal of VG. I had my original 250ml of PG for like 18 months and at the ratio used in most recipes for a 70/30 blend you actually use waaay less PG than VG so buying equal amounts is not thrifty, and as your stash grows “storage” becomes the issue.

9 Likes

While I totally appreciate your concern, just see some of the battles I have fought on this topic…and this will truly be my only post on this…if you read the links in your later post you will note dose and LD50 are in mg per kilogram ie mg/kg. You need to multiply by the weight of the individual to get the correct dose. TRW out.

2 Likes

I think we are done with this conversation, Don knows that 36mg nicotine is weaker, and therefore safer to use than the more commonly suggested 100mg nicotine widely purchased, suggested and used.

Has anyone recommended a Badger Model Paint Mixer yet?

1 Like

I had my units right at least

I like the badger mixer, but I don’t think it would fit into the neck of the bottles I use to mix.

I used to do the same. Burn,Eat a little, repeat.

I agree that a new mixer should not be using 100mg nic and also wear gloves when handling it. When i first started i used 36mg and then worked my way up to 100mg. There has been a documented death from nicotine overdose. I don’t think it’s from the vape community but it is on the poison control list now too. Great advice for a new mixer; use 36 or 48mg nic in PG with gloves and take precautions when handling. Make sure and read up and know what you are doing before you actually mix with it.

@therabidweasel so if it mg/kg and ld50 is the dose it will take approx to start shitting down organs and ect. The average adult person is 75kg. So the dose would be about 3,750mg to have serious SE. For children yikes! Good point :smiling_face:

I can see what u mean @Bad_Influence but it might be better for a new mixer to start small or at least know the precautions before diving in.

1 Like