Help for the new guy

Shake shake shake, even between each recipe SHAAAAAKE it like a Polaroid picture. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah I have had hot spots before. You just have to shake you bottle of nic a lot
Welcome @DanG4623 to ELR a lot of good people here :thumbsup:

3 Likes

What were hotspots like for you? Just trying to get a picture in my head.

I keep my unopened nic in the freezer when I take it out of the freezer I put it in the fridge.
Let it sit at room temp and shake well before you use mix than put the open nic back in the fridge with cap on tight

2 Likes

It just means the nic in the base PG or Vg is not mixed thoroughly and you get a un even amount of nic

1 Like

What @Rob62 said. Freezer for long term, fridge for short term.

3 Likes

What equipment are you using? If you are using subohm tanks then you should be using no less than 70% VG. Max VG may be better depending on the unitā€¦

1 Like

Yeah I am using sub, I had never heard this before this is a thing? Only 70pg and above? I never had checked the vape juice that I bought before but it always worked, as for making my own I can use 0mg nicotine and I made a 80pg/20vg to test around, it makes less clouds but has a sweet throat hit. But with the nicotine whatever mixture I make is a problem.

Not sure if anyone actually said this already but since your Nic is VG based you need to shake the living crap out of that bottle before putting any of it into your mixes. Being VG based means it is a lot thicker than PG based Nic and therefore needs a lot more shaking before use.

And as for that mix you posted above it surely look like a 50Pg/50Vg mix and as someone already stated the more PG you have in a mix the more throat hit you will get. Someone already mentioned good ratios so iā€™m not gonna repeat that.

3 Likes

Swap those figures and you should be fine (80VG/20PG). Maybe less throat hit but you most likely wonā€™t need it with the nicotine in the mix. If you like, 70vg/30pg for more throat hit, but I would not go any less than 70VG if I were you. Make a mix of both and see what you like better. That would be best. Good luckā€¦

One last thing, should it still be too much at 80/20, you can go as much as 85vg/15pg being you are using only 15% flavorā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, this forum and everyone in it has been very helpfulā€‹:grinning:. I am going to be mixing the nicotine the best I can, I will make a 3mg 80vg/20pg using 12% root beer (LB) and 3% Cream (LB) more details will be located on my profile. Iā€™ll get back to you with the results! :+1:

4 Likes

I always recommend mixers get nicotine in 100mg diluted in 100% PG as it is much easier to work with, especially when you are new to mixing.

3 Likes

Good news guys! I made the batch of Root Beer (LB) 12% with Cream (LB) 3% as a 3mg nicotine 20PG/80VG . I shook the nicotine for a good 3 minutes violently in every direction. Just gave my new recipe a quick vape and the horrible nicotine taste that lingers in the back of the throat is gone! This was my first experience with hotspots and Iā€™m glad that my nicotine wasnā€™t bad. Thanks for all the help and I am going to start on some new recipes! :grinning:

10 Likes

Glad to hear that everything is as it should be for you. I think you will shake the crap out of that Nic every time you are mixing from now on.

4 Likes

Right on way cool :thumbsup:

I shake every ingredient real good Flavors , PG ,VG but especially the Nic. I use 100mg VG base nic
Also keep your open nic in the fridge

3 Likes

Man you guys are awesome! :clap: Much love to all that helped out here, wish I had found this site sooner when I first started out!

7 Likes

Yay! Iā€™m glad to hear that your issue was solved. Happy mixing!

1 Like

Try mixing a 3ml batch with no flavour at all, just nic (the same 3% strength as before), & with PG & VG. Keep it to about 50% VG so you can accurately compare 50/50 flavoured to 50/50 naked. See if thatā€™s still as harsh as what youā€™ve experienced. If it is then try again keeping it at 3% nic & 80/20 VG/PG. If itā€™s still as harsh then for sure, itā€™s the nic.
50/50
0.18g nic
1.31g VG
1.5g PG

80/20
0.18 nic
2.21g VG
0.6g PG

BTW when youā€™re mixing by mass instead of volume you canā€™t convert 1g for 1ml as the components have different specific gravities.

1 Like

Great, happy to hear you are now able to really enjoy the whole DIY experience.

1 Like