Help! How to dilute Medicine Flower

Use it the way you use others, just mete it out in much lower %'s, as notes and recipes indicate. *I donā€™t dilute it eitherā€¦

2 Likes

Ok thankyou

1 Like

Yes, same as Phil here. I donā€™t dilute. I donā€™t think too many of us do. If youā€™re making a 15ml SFT at .9%, it looks like this:

As long as you have a scale that reads to 2 decimals (0.01) you just slowly add drops until it reads .13g. No need to dilute, unless you just feel more comfortable measuring out 9%. Hope this helps!

Edit: If you need really tiny amounts, like .05%, itā€™s going to read .01g. At this point, you may want to dilute, because most drops average .02g. But, I havenā€™t seen any cases of this. There could be some merit to it, though. Something to think about.

2 Likes

whats SFT mean? Iā€™m still learning the language lol

1 Like

And yes thankyou this was helpful do I really have to spend up to $35 on each flavour of MF this is very expensive Iā€™m in Australia and this is the price Iā€™m looking at not even sure how much I get for that didnā€™t get that far just had a quick look and seen the price then came on here to find out more about it really because me and pg are not getting on very well

1 Like

SFT does that stand for single flavour test?

2 Likes

15ml is $35 Iā€™m stupid and didnā€™t look properly

Check this thread, there are a couple of links to AU suppliers in the first post. Hopefully the price is more reasonable than $35!

And, you nailed it! SFT=Single Flavo(u)r Test! :grinning:

1 Like

Tara9 it isnā€™t necessary to dilute MF extracts but I did an experiment to see if using them in a base such as VG would help reduce steep time ā€¦it did not. Use MF as you would any concentrate but keep in mind theyā€™re infinitely more potent than the standard flavor. If a recipe calls for 1% then use it at that 1% no need to configure any special formulaā€¦ I did use the calculator on ELR to figure out my calculations as for now that you are in the beginners phase just know it isnā€™t necessary I was just sharing that you could dilute them.

5 Likes

Tara9 I might also suggest another method. Check out Flvfan.Com and read through her process. This is a very good way go about using mf flavors. The difference is mf is stronger than flv so use 14 or 15 ml testers instead of 10. @anon84779643

3 Likes

I still see no reason to dilute, more reason to get yourself something like this
https://www.amazon.com/JamBer-Milligram-Electronic-Weighing-Calibration/dp/B0731F3F2N/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1533768044&sr=8-5&keywords=scale+0.001g

4 Likes

It wouldnā€™t help you as you would still need to figure out how to put half a drop into the mix :thinking:

I donā€™t have any medicine flower, but I do have some flavorah flavours that I only use at 0.10% or less, and in order to actually use them, especially for 10ml testers, there is no other option than to dilute them first.

3 Likes

My limited MF experiencesā€¦ I have only had a few bottles. I used the same process as what I use with FLVā€¦
10ml bottles. 1-2 drops and increase drops when needed. If it is too strong for a 10ml, I suggest a 30ml bottle and again, count your drops needed. :slight_smile:

@anon28032772ā€¦ absolutely! I do use a few different scales but I always make sure they read at least .01g and my ohous scales (.001g) I bought from my lab. There are cheap options out there, but make sure they come with weights to calibrate your scales when needed. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

That is indeed a bit of a problem, but the problem with the average 0.01g scale is that even a whole drop doesnā€™t always register on the scale. Most scales actually only start registering after a 0.05g weight.
A much more accurate scale will not improve how you put your drops in the mix but it will give you a more accurate reading and it will help a huge amount for potent flavors.

I donā€™t use 10ml testers anymore for a variety of reasons. Usually my tests are 20-30ml so thatā€™s another way of having to deal less with those minuscule flavor increments.

2 Likes

Initially I did 10ml tests with the MF. Problem was that 1 or 2 drops was max saturation for my palate before the body of most flavors began to deteriorate. Now the top flavor note is really forgiving and you may not notice the deterioration happening down below. So I had to go to 15ml testers. I think I should stop here cuz the rest wouldnā€™t be helpful to the OP.

1 Like

Sure, that is also a problem. I have however noticed that as long as you donā€™t tara the weight, it reacts immediately to a single drop, whereas you only get that ā€œstickinessā€ if you use the tara button, at least that is how it works on my (cheap Chinese) weight.

2 Likes

You know how you squeeze a bottle or push the syringe and watch that drop form at the tipā€¦ once you have a full drop, it falls.
If you have about half a drop ā€¦ just hold the tip so that the liquid touches the inside of your bottle and there you have it, half a drop dispensed :wink:

2 Likes

I do agree @xxanalogxxā€¦
I love to go big on my mixing, when mixing so low.
I just do not believe in dilutions. Too many chances for error, especially if not using weight.

Back on topic! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Using a 1ml syringe, you can eliminate both of these problems. A 1ml syringe allows accuracy down to 0.01ml if so desired.

3 Likes

I agee, itā€™s best not to dilute them,ā€¦ and keep them on the fridge! because you really donā€™t want to risk them spoiling at that price.

But, givn that youā€™re quite new to mixing, given that that MF extracts do represent a pretty big investment, I suggest buying them pre-diluted in VG from Vapour Depot in the UK . That works out much cheaper per flavour, to try them out. . And their International shipping rates are good.

The only serious drawback is that theyā€™re presently taking bloody ages to get around to re-stocking!

For further info, do a search on ā€œBotanic Elixirā€ . Thatā€™s the stuff. Theyā€™re 10% dilutions, so- as others have said- you need to multiply the usual MF percentages by 10 (or move that decimal point ) when you mix with it. And, sadly, iā€™ve found that - insofar as Iā€™ve been able to compare- they still take just as long to steep as the undiluted MF.

2 Likes