Help I'm getting 0 flavour at all!?

Hello everyone I your need help!

I have made 4 or 5 diy ejuices from http://e-liquid-recipes.com all with 5 stars and hundreds of people saying how great they are but all of mine have hardly any flavour?

I’ve tried making:

Dinner lady lemon tart remix
Jammy doughnuts
Frosted flakes
Ella’s Shortbread biscuit
Lucky charms

I have use the same flavours from the same makes all brought from good company’s and I use my pg/vg and nic from dark star vapour which has loads of good reviews and is a uk based company.

Is there something I’m missing? I assume I’m doing the measurements right?

For etc if I needed 2% of TFA sweet strawberry and I’m marking 50ml then it’s 1ml I need?

I have even steeped them now (by shaking them a few times and opening the bottles to let fresh air in) and they have been sitting on a shelf in a cool dark place for 4 weeks but still nothing!!!

Also I’m using a goon rda which gets great flavour from shop bought e juices but when I try my diy juices in it they have hardly and flavour? What’s worse is when I try them in a tank (unwell crown 1 and smok tfv8) I get no flavour at all???

Someone please help me!

1 Like

You

Right this is what I do for example a 50ml mix of Ella’s shortbread biscuit:

I use dark star nic which is 18mg 10ml bottles and they say is basically 1.7ml per 10ml for a 3mg vape. So I add 8.5ml of nic.

I then add the flavours as the website says:

Acetyl Pyranzine TPA 0.5% = 0.25ml
Biscuit Inawera 1.5% = 0.75ml
Sugar cookie Capella 4% = 2ml
vanilla custard v1 Capella 2% = 1ml
vanilla shisha Inawera 1% = 0.5ml

Flavour Total = 4.5 ml

With nic = 13ml

I then top it up with a pre mix of 85% VG and 15 % PG (this is what darkstar suggest to use to make a 70/30 mix once a the flavours are added as they are PG based)

And then steeped it for 4 weeks.

Hope this makes sense.

2 Likes

Your amounts seem on point. Are you pretty exact in your measuring?

The only other thing I can think of is that commercial juice is generally saturated with sweetners, so your tastebuds will take some time adapting to recipes without sweetener. You could always try adding some sweetener (e.g CAP Super Sweet or Pyure etc) to see if this is the issue. Be warned - start low and build up to your desired taste if this is what you decide to do. Also, some sweetners will gunk your coils really quickly.

Good luck!

ETA - this is what it looks like if you use the ELR Recipe Calculator (if you aren’t already using it):

5 Likes

Hi and thanks for your reply.

You could be on to something here as when I tried some shop bought ejuice this morning it tasted so strong I couldn’t stand it!?

5 Likes

Your tastebuds will adapt and then you’ll be like ‘commercial…blegh :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::laughing:

7 Likes

Haha thanks again for your help! You have given me the will to carry on!

5 Likes

Something often overlooked is the type of cotton you use. You can have the best flavor atty, the greatest coils and completely dull the flavor with the wrong wicking material too. Cottons balls, Puffs and even some of the supposedly “great” wicks can mute flavors quite a bit. Not only that, but the way you wick your coil can also have a huge impact on the flavor, even with the best wicks you can get. A lot of people have their own favorite wicks (e.g. rayon, cotton bacon v2, kendo, koh gen do, …) because everyone wicks their coils in a different way.
Commercial juices can still come through with flavor often because they often use higher flavor totals and a lot more sweeteners.

I had a bit of a similar experience when I started DIY, maybe not as bad as you say, but all I can say is that my taste buds recovered from smoke damage over time and honestly speaking, it’s difficult to vape on commercial juices now. They’re too strong in flavor, too sweet and a lot of times not as good of a recipe than the DIY stuff you find here.

Exhaling techniques may increase your flavor too. If you let the vapor get out of both your nose and mouth, you’ll get the maximum flavor. A lot of people just exhale through their mouth.

4 Likes

Hum that’s very interesting… I have been trying what you said and your right!

Only thing is it’s still not that strong???

2 Likes

How long have you been smoking?
How long since you quit… or are you a dual user?

My guess it really has to do with this and you’ll just have to wait a little bit until your sense of taste returns to normal a bit.

With the goon, I can imagine you can mess up with your build a bit if you’re new to it. I have a goon and a TFV8 as well and flavor is good on the goon and more than OK on TFV8, both with DIY and commercial juices. So if you’re getting some flavor on the goon and nothing on the TFV8, I suppose your build is OK but it’s just … you :slight_smile:
It’ll be alright, just give it some time. It can take a bit longer for some people than for others but trust me, your sense of flavor will improve if you stay off tobacco.

I quit vaping thanks to a great vanilla juice that I tried in a shop. The other day I thought I’d buy it again because I liked it so much… all the additional notes I get from it now just makes me want to chuck it in the bin, so nasty! lol

What I would advise to you, is to do some flavor testing. Mix up some of your flavors as single flavors and see at what % you’re getting a decent amount of flavor. Then adjust these recipes you like to make to the strength of flavor that you think is more acceptable.
If check the flavor pages and see a single flavor mix is averagely used at 8% and you see that it works best for you at 15%, you can kind of work out how much you need to increase those flavors in your recipe. And remember 1 thing, take notes with everything you do. You’re not going to remember everything with so many flavors and recipes.
There may not be exactly a 1:1 relation between single flavor and mixing %, but that’s the fun of DIY to find out what works best for you :wink: So initially until you find out what works for you, don’t mix batches that are too big, start small to avoid wasting money.

Steeping is necessary for most juices and I’d definitely recommend you follow instructions, but that doesn’t mean you can’t test before it’s completely steeped. It might be good to start with some recipes that are approved as shake and vape (SNV) too, just to increase the speed with which you learn about DIY and what works for you.

2 Likes

You could also adapt a recipe with the calculator on here. Then you can for example up the total flavor percentage by for example 10%.

Ex:
Recipe calls for 10% strawberry ripe and 4% vanilla custard (not an actual recipe, just an example)
Up the total flavor by 10% this way.
10% strawberry ripe increased by 10% = 11%
4% vanilla custard increased by 10% = 4.40%

So in a 10 ml mix you would go from 1ml and 0.4 ml to 1.1ml and 0.44 ml

Here’s a tip for anyone making the transition from commercial juice to DIY. Take a couple days off. That’s right, dont vape anything with flavor for at least two days. Make some unflavored liquid in you prefered vg/pg ratio and nic strengh and vape only that. This will help to reset your tastebuds.

This also helps to get over vapers tongue as well.

6 Likes

To the OP. The flavor percentage in their mix may be to their liking. Double the flavor mix or add more of one thing or another.

The other thing mix for you. Don’t go based on what other people say or think. Vape a liquid that will keep you off the cigs. Know your flavor profile.

I love everybody here, but don’t be a sheep when it comes to higher rated recipes. Go with what you like. Try a single flavor of that and then branch out. Just something to keep you off cigs.

8 Likes

Tried it, but it’s not for everyone, definitely not me. If you completely take the flavor out of it, I’m ready to go back to the stinkies.
Sometimes I use plain VG to get rid of a flavor from my cotton before I switch juice but that’s about as much as I can take. To me at least, flavors are a very important part of vaping.

2 Likes