Help with coiling/coils please?

Thanks been a goal to make Ti Clapton …giving you the credit since it’s been a topic I have not seen (yet!) exactly the info I’m looking for

God help me I’m on Fasttech… :smirk: Anyone have a quick coupon code for FT?

Oh look they have a sale on drones… :innocent:

2 Likes

Wish I had one…I have never been able to find a code for them…

also seeing two different options for same length and gauge of wire. One is power rated (ohm/foot) and one is not. Unrated wire looks diff and is dollar cheaper. Example: your link show “rated” wire …I’m paying the extra 75 cents

2 Likes

Yeah, Idk…I don’t remember any other when I got mine, but what I got works fine

1 Like

thx had gone undone as I couldn’t find 32+ ga Ti …chose “Slow Boat” shipping option :wink:

3 Likes

yeah 32 is the smallest that I could find anywhere…Unkamen supplies also carries it but I think it only comes with 60 ft and I know @Pro_Vapes had a problem with them before so I have refrained from ordering from them

2 Likes

i’ve been coiling for almost a year. chasing flavor :slight_smile: - which i guess is my own definition of flavor. i don’t like vaping to be as hot as smoking was. i tried all wires and all gauges - then settled on a favorite wire and build that works best for me, consistently every time. the wire is SS (316L but others are OK), 28 gauge. if i don’t have much time, i take 2 strands twisted, and when i do have time i will “clapton” 28/34 - 7 or 8 wraps with 2.3mm ID - works in most my tanks - even if i have more room in the build deck i still prefer this build. it gives a balance between the amount of wicked juice to heat. dual coils would come around .4 ohm for the clapton, and .22 if twisted. if i want to venture into a hotter or more dense vape, i’ll do a clapton with 26/34 SS
only SS gives me these flavor notes I really miss with other wires.

my advice would be to start with something, and keep trying till you find your favorite build to your personal preference - role of thumb if you want more clouds, go for smaller gauges (thicker wire) and larger ID, more flavor is in the opposite direction, smaller wires (higher gauges) and smaller ID (1.8, 2, or 2.5 mm) - you’ll find your spot and enjoy from there,

cheers,
TVS

7 Likes

Sorry to re-open this thread again. Am looking into starting building my own coils and just wondered whether the Coil Master DIY kit is worth blowing £36 on (and do I need a kit?) or if anybody can recommend any other useful kits? TIA!

When i do my coils i just use a screwdriver and coil around that. I do use the proper size of course.
For clipping the wire i use a nail clipper for the most part and if i use some thicker wire i use a pair of nippers.
I don’t have that set but I’m sure it is a good one to have if you feel you have the use for it.
I’m pretty sure you can buy most things in that set cheaper and with the same or better quality in a hardware store or something like that nearby.

2 Likes

Good thinking! Thanks @Fenrir1

1 Like

I agree with Fenrir1 100% ! You can get the flush wire cutters for £2 , screwdriver set for £2 and Ceramic Tweezers for £2

3 Likes

@Lolly

First of all, all coil jigs are not created equal.

I used a screwdriver or a drill bit when I started, and some of my friends still do today…and swear by them.
I also used a coil wand, the one that has mm steps in it. It’s all an individual preference.

The early coil jigs [and the cheap ones today] had short mandrels. They were easy to use, made tight, even coils, but didn’t work well for spaced coils with the short mandrels [rods]. They also only wrapped in one direction.

Eventually, the Coil-Master Coil Jig V3 came out, and it was a huge improvement. Longer mandrels, wrapped in either direction. Like the jigs before, it also has the adjustment screws on the winding cap for different gauge wire.
Some people have no problem winding on a screwdriver, but some do have trouble getting consistent tight coils, and in my early case, I would get sore fingers if I wrapped a lot of coils in a short period. With a good coil jig, and I only recommend the CM V3 Jig, ANYONE can make great coils…effortlessly…all day long. Titanium is ‘springy’, and a coil jig really tames it.
Version 4 may be more to your liking if you are going to build a lot of claptons.

CM DIY Kit…There are TWO of them…V1 and V2
The V1 DIY kit has the short mandrels, and the diagonal flush cutter was not that good, and it has a screwdriver that you could change the bits, though not really good quality either.
The V2 DIY kit has the V3 Coil Jig, much better cutters, and two individual screwdrivers.
The V1 kit is about $25USD and the V2 kit can be found for around $35USD+

Most ceramic tweezers are about equal. I don’t use them to ‘pinch’ my coils because I only make spaced coils generally. I mostly use them to remove my slimy used wicks, tuck my wick ends, etc. even though I have several styles.

Cutters…I have used nail clippers and they work fine on many wires, but some build decks need the flush cutters to get in tight places. UD Youde makes good cutters.Since you appear to be on ‘that side of the pond’ you may be able to get WIHA tools fairly easy. They are made in Germany, and some of the best tools in the world, yet affordable.

I don’t like using Allen wrenches for my post screws, I prefer a good small screwdriver. WIHA is my choice, and I have a set of mini precision bits with a couple of handles to insert them in, but an inexpensive set will work for a while. Different build decks have different size grub screws, so the mini bits are handy to have.

Scissors…a good pair will surely ward off frustration when cutting your cotton squares and wick tails. I mostly use Fiskars.

A nice pair of jewelers [flat] needle nose pliers are a great help.

I will dig up some links for explanation. I hope this isn’t a bother to you.

6 Likes

Everybody hit it. Yeah. The only reason I bought one was it was nice to have a set of tools dedicated to building all in one place. All labeled and ready to go. My tools for building coils are only for building coils.

Sure I would have possibly saved 10-15 dollars. However, the time and effort for I would have spent setting up to build coils and all that stuff (gas driving to pick up tools) would have in the end costed more.

Granted, if money is an issue the kit isn’t needed.

3 Likes

Yeh, I’m kinda thinking that having it all ready in one kit will make the transition to building my own less scary for me - and it’s pay day today so while I’ve got the cash…!

2 Likes

Thanks soooo much for this info @ozo - massive help :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Lolly

CM Jig V3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coil-Master-V3-6-in-1-Coiling-Kit-Jig-Killer-Nano-Micro-Marco/262347377165?_trksid=p2352135.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37107%26meid%3D6d5642ff7fa54148ab713192b156e2ad%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D28%26sd%3D282149328813

CM DIY kit V2 [with V3 coil jig]

UD Youde wire cutters

http://www.cremedevape.com/Wire-cutter-by-Youde

I strongly suggest a cotton pick…very useful tool

http://www.cremedevape.com/Cotton-ick-tool-by-Youde

Fiskars micro-tip

https://www.dripworks.com/fiskars-micro-tip-trimmers?gclid=CjwKEAjwjqO_BRDribyJpc_mzHgSJABdnsFW79BDLW5wrPrAxQmdsB83qjv8YOI9-Mpmvx-hX9zKvRoCAtLw_wcB

Micro screwdriver/bit set

3 Likes

I think you are referring to the CM v2 and I am guessing you are in the UK based on the currency you’ve mentioned. The kit is available on amazon.co.uk for £32.
I bought this kit a couple of weeks ago and I must say I was pretty impressed by the quality.
The kit also comes with the ohm meter which is a must for any DIY coil builder. They also throw in some 24awg wire and some cotton so you can get started on it on try you hand,
Overall the kit is good value for money.

1 Like

Thanks so much to you all for helping me out - such fab people on ELR!

Have gone with this and should get it tomorrow with Prime - am so excited to get started!

2 Likes

You’ll need 2 AA batteries for the ohm meter, keep them ready too…lol

Will grab some on my way home later :laughing: