Hidden science behind normal and accelerated e-Liquid steeping

hehe centrifuges aren’t great for mixing - rather the opposite - separating stuff :smile:

2 Likes

I have made some juices now and am trying different steeping methods, I just got my new heated USC that arrived today, so excited about it i cancelled meeting my girlfriend after she finished work, she is not impressed to say the least, Anyway iv been thinking about this a lot recently, it seems to me, from limited experience tho that the colour change in the juice when steeping is primarily down to the nicotine in the juice, however not exclusively. I say this as i have bought may juices with no nic and the juice is clear, but i have a 3 day old DIY juice that has a slight tint starting to appear. Im a little confused as the juices i have bought before never changed colour even after 2 month. I never breath my liquids i just leave them till i want to vape them, that is until now. Can someone please clarify the logic i am missing or a least point me in the right direction.

PS very interesting read and thanks for all the input from everyone.

1 Like

I confussed also, some say lids off after mixing. I have tryed differant time and ways. But like one one the ELR reg. said you have to balance it out.If you leave the lids off it get ride of the bad stuff, but also you lose the flavoring.Still working on this my self. Still have not made a patch that I just love. Just not good at paring, steeping and WAITING to see. i can’t smelling anything, so i have to go by tast, and that is mutted some what. Thanks to ELR and the great people on hear, I read alot of posts.

For what it’s worth, I’ve never left the lid off my mixes - Steeping with time just works :slight_smile: I do warm water baths, shaking and occasionally froth my mixes though :smile:

4 Likes

This is great stuff! Thanks for sharing everyone!

I seed steep quite a bit; helps hurry things along in my book, but you have to be mindful to store away about 20% of your intended mix for use at a later time.

3 Likes

woke up this morning and all i could think about was speed steeping, so i made a new batch 30ml and blended it to foam, its currently in the USC @47. i didn’t do 50c as the temp goes up by approx 3c on a 20min cycle,

The only other step i will add is to bending it again after a 20min rest and before I repeat the process.

Will keep you posted on results.

Update.OK so I have managed to get about 4 or 5 cycles done today. I have noticed the colour has changed from clear to golden. I have put it back into a bottle and in a dark cupboard to steep. One thing I have noticed in comparison is the thinning of the juice. Can any one tell me if that’s normal even after the temp has returned to normal Or if maybe I have done it wrong. Pg/vg ratio 40/60.

2 Likes

Your ratio is fairly fluid at room temperature. I used to mix max VG (+/-20/80); very thick. As of late, I’ve been doing 40/60 or 50/50 because I find my tobacco flavors pop more intensely with a high pg content. As a result, my mixes are very fluid. The only issue is having to change my wicking arrangement in my tank atomizers…more cotton!

OK…so what are your flavor %s (standalone or total of several flavors combined)…?..and how long will you steep your juice after your preliminary frothing and USC cycles?

I’m using 5 flavours at 3% each 4.5ml total. After frothing I speed steep in uc for 20mins @ 47c. Then I rest for 20mins .I froth again and repeat 5 times. Once completed I put the lib back and store away I’m box no light. For at least a few days that’s the plan anyway

That’s cool…I have frothed 1 time, but see the virtue of several frothings…I am also mixing at 40/60…Just haven’t quite figured out total steep time…My devices are LemoDrop, Goblin Mini…and a variety of those Aspire tanks with the BVC coils…What are you gonna be vaping on?

1 Like

I’m using a sigelei 150w TC mod with a dodge V2 rda , kangertech plus tank and my fav the crown tank.

It’ll be interesting to hear your tasting notes. I am particularly interested to hear the differences (if any) between your tanks and your RDA.

1 Like

i will keep you posted i have just made a mother’s milk and boss reserve clones once they are steeped i will update and let you know,

On ,y rda i swap between the clapton coil and the fused when tasting, i prefer using the clapton due to the taste but hate having to change cotton every time i taste a new flavour.

the uwell tank is bar far my best tank the coil last so long, 3 times as long as a 0.5 kangertech coil. I

1 Like

So here’s what I’m going to take away from this since I already bought my vortex mixer. Mix it 15 seconds. Then put it in hot water for 20 minutes let it sit in cupboard overnight. Sound about right? (guess my ultrasonic can be used for cleaning stuff LOL)

2 Likes

Will be very interested to see what you think of the vortex, michelleTOC. I’m looking at getting one myself.

2 Likes

This is one of the best threads I’ve ever read. Some great information and let me say…ELR has some really bright minds here.:+1:

2 Likes

Hi and Merry Christmas to all.

I am a noob on either vaping (2 months now) and mixing my own liquids (1 month now) and try to read as much as I can in order to acquire different views and experiences.
I know this thread and this specific post is months old, but could not resisted to ask how is it possible to use uv lighting for steeping without affecting the nicotine content of the juices. From what I have read to now, I have got the idea that UV causes its decomposition and based on that, does it mean that you could only use UV steeping for non nicotine juices, or is it that I got it all wrong from the beginning? I currently use magnetic stirring and not interesting on UV, however my question is on the ‘learning’ process.
Thank you all for this amazing forum where so much precious information is shared to everyone!

1 Like

You could experiment with the UV light with your mix without Nicotine…then add the Nicotine using the UV light…