Hidden science behind normal and accelerated e-Liquid steeping

What a great thread!
Full of very useful information, thanks guys and gals!
What I plan to do is use a heated milk frother for my mixes.
I also don’t plan to add the nicotine till after the liquid has been heated and frothed and left overnight uncovered.
Once I add the nicotine I will give it a quick mix then transfer to bottles.
This way I hope that the nicotine will not be degraded in any way with the heating process.
I also quite like the sound of adding the fruit flavours afterwards with any bakery, custard type mixes.
Makes perfect sense to me?
I was also toying with the idea of adding stevia liquid to my pg and using as normal in any recipes that have a sweet note.
Has anyone any opinions as to my planned processes?

Steeping eliquid… Seems like this might be like discussing politics, or religion…

Thinking about the subject, the different methods, etc… I was thinking(and this may be obvious) but I think the steeping method, it’s success or lack thereof is also tied to the recipe and the expected flavor outcome. So for example, blending strawberry and vanilla together works…blending together something complex together, would probably not work so well. Example, I doubt if I put pumpkin pie with whipped cream in a blender, it would still taste the same to me as eating a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. Along the same line, if steeping was/is just a simple process of blending all the flavors together, then a quick use of a blender or even better a homogenizer would be all that’s needed.

I am by no means an expert, and just started DIY about a month, but I do like to experiment(. So far my simple tests steeping/quick steeping shows that it works well for some recipes, and not as well for others. That said for me it seems to work best with the less complex recipes. On those recipes where you want to taste multiple flavors like, vanilla custard, pie crust, strawberry, etc, quick steeping might help speed the process up. Don’t expect to throw your bottles of juice in the ultrasonic cleaner, or crock pot and be as good as those that have steeped for period of time.

Just my experience so far. Your actual mileage may vary, certain exclusion and limitations apply. Translation, just my opinion.

Quick question, has anyone tried a homogenizer yet? I’ve done the crock pot, and the heated ultrasonic cleaner as well as the tried and tested aging in the dark…

Yes, I am bringing up this old thread AGAIN, but I believe it is important for those who have posted here to confirm or deny their results as it has been a few months since this thread was made (QUITE a few months).

I think if any of these methods are of value, than the people who posted about them should still be using them, or perhaps have more information on their theories.

Let us know, people!

1 Like

I found out I was working too hard trying to speed steep after trying different methods. I used to let it sit in the crock pot on low for 4 hours and use an ultrasonic but found it only needed 1 hour heat up and tasted better. I don’t use the ultrasonic anymore. I still loosen the lid overnight when it comes out of the crock pot but most of it is very good after 3 days and gets better after that.

Hi
I am new in DIY mixing,
can you tell me the maximum time of breathing and percentage to use below capella flavors ?

1. double chocolate v2, 2) golden pineapple, 3) banana split, 4) bold tobacco, 5) sweet strawberry

I personally only leave the top loose for 24 hours. To me it does no good after that. The alcohol is evaporated at 24 hours and in my book you are just subjecting your liquid to flavor loss and the potential of contamination.

So - A year in to my DIY journey.

In the beginning there was all sorts of tomfoolery;
Microwave blast till hand warm, then leave for a few hrs to cool.
Shake it, vape it.
Hot water/rice for a few cycles.

I didn’t find an UC but I did come across a cheap frother - which works charms!
Froth, leave in cabinet for a few days (cap on), a few shakes every few days - and that is all.

I’m done with trying to “Speed it up” - time is the best way to go IMHO.

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

And this is it in a nutshell. Mix, give it a bloody good froth and chuck it in a nice dark cupboard and wait.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I put my eliquid after 20 min on hot water on freezer them repeat the process and 6 hours breeding and done, 12 hours ready for vape is like 2 weeks or more of natural sleeping and breading

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - really helping out a new mixer (me).

I used the microwave for the first time on liquid last week. I put it on 15 seconds and it thinned it out just enough to shake the %^$%^ out of it and blend it I couldn’t believe it. It was so amazing how fast that worked and the fact it had no effect whatsoever on the taste of my mixes. No more Tom-Foolery for me either.

1 Like

i recently tried the microwave on couple of mixes - 12 secs on low - leave it to cool down after shaking when it’s thin. it smelled right and like well-mixed flavors, but i noticed the flavors are a lot weaker and when the liquid cools down later, i didn’t like how it felt too oily in the bottle as if the MW vaporized a lot of the watery and volatile content in there… taste was off compared to other sample mixes - was just researching heat effect on PG to see if this is confirmed somehow. nothing definitive.

I decided no more microwave for me. a good hot bath for 30mins, many shakes during , then leave to rest couple of days gives me what i need now and is my new trusted protocol. Microwave no good :frowning:

I don’t use PG other than what is in the flavoring, maybe that is why.

Is the goal to just warm it up so it maxes easier? If so, might it be easier to just use a $7 Norpro mixer? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E39LYO/
I use one of these and I think it’s the best $7 I spent on this DIY stuff.

But if there’s a different reason to use a microwave, then I’m all ears.

1 Like

If it’s a new thing to play with for my vape lab, I’m all ears. That thing is cheap too, I gotta have one of those… I see it takes AA batteries… hmmmm…

They’re amazing.

The only issue is that they stir things up so much that you can’t put 30ml into a 30ml bottle. I always leave 5ml of space, so I make 25ml, or 115ml in a 120ml bottle, etc.

It barely stirs a 120ml bottle - it won’t reach to the bottom of a bigger bottle.

1 Like

:joy:

I had a vision of me standing in the kitchen trying to get those little stir sticks in a bottle with liquid spraying everywhere… lol

Dont know if anyone has done this - I steep my liquids by putting it in my pocket when I am off to work. It stays in my pocket all day. And I have noticed that recipes that used to take a week or two is vapable within 2-4 days. It almost tastes like it is fully steeped.

I highly recommend a heated milk frother, similar to this one.

It heats the liquid perfectly and the frother/ mixer does the job admirably!

1 Like

I wouldn’t put juice directly into a microwave. I do use hot water to drop the bottle in, so I can shake it up better after mixing, but that’s it. Then they hit the steep press and I test every few days. Only way to know for sure - too many mixers just make up numbers. Many juices are peak after 2 weeks.

1 Like