How about we design some "starter packs" new DIY'ers?

I have t really heard much in liquid barn. I want so badly to get some of their flavors but I really don’t see a lot of recipes out there w/ them. Do you have many ? Also do you know where they ship from… Are they US based ? TIA.

The are US based. The shipping label stated it was shipped from California. I was really impressed with their liquids. Everything was well packaged and definitely high quality. Nicotine was clear and vapes super smooth. I havent found many recipes, BUT I saw on facebook that LB flavors are the best standalone flavors, and I will have to agree. I’ve really enjoyed all the flavors I’ve tried so far and they have all been single flavor recipes.

1 Like

Wow thank you. Interesting all were stand alone worthy hmm that speaks pretty high of em’ !

2 Likes

I spent a long while editing the American kit link to elaborate a bunch of items but it said I didn’t have permission to view some resource. Le sigh.

[edit] Nice, a few minutes went by and I was granted permission automatically.

Ok I added my ideas for the US kit. I’m new to DIY E-Juice, but I went ahead and just bought the scale to start, probably the best thirty bucks I ever spent on a hobby. Science, right? So my perfect kit just uses disposable pipettes by the trillion and the bottles on a scale. Maybe someone else can fill in the syringes.

1 Like

I mix by weight also and never need a syringe. All of my flavors are in dripper bottles and I use them to fill my bottle on the scale. When mixing by volume the syringe is used to measure flavor in milliliters.

1 Like

The following link was such a game changer for me, I have posted it in other places as reference…I feel that strongly about it.
How do you mix: by weight or by syringes?

1 Like

We owe it to the noobs to create a good flavor starter kit. I continually see them ordering all TPA, Cap and FW flavors just as I did, and they go through the same struggles as me… trying to make mixes from flavors that’s barely close to what’s on the label. I’d hate to take on this project on by myself because only a few will agree with my choices of flavors.

Also once it’s created it should be on elr because that’s where most noobs start. It’s usually after they’ve screwed up a ton of mixes they find the forum for guidance.

We can get them started on the right foot if we can pull together a get them started with some good flavors.

Anybody willing to participate?

2 Likes

how do you want to handle this… we all have some input but also have different tastes??

I’m just trying to put together a list of good flavors that work for most people. If egos are left at the door it can be accomplished. This is by no means a definitive list. Just good flavors used at lowest percentages.

1 Like

I like the idea of a suggested noob DIY starter kit suggested here. The problem with that is everyone has different tastes. And not a lot of people jump into this planning on spending hundreds of dollars. So I think some restraint is needed and a very fine tuned list put together. Say less than $100 for everything to get going. Like a “Beginner kit”. Enough to make a couple hundred ml of liquid.

That would include a scale, which in the long run is cheaper than syringes, mixing flasks, etc. A simple scale like the Etekcity scale here. A diy’er is going to need some bottles like these, or something similar. PG, VG, and nic of course. Then the rest should be on flavors.

That could be the beginner kit. From there you could do another $60 kit with mostly flavorings. Call it the Noob add-on pack.

Then on to the intermediate kit that will be mostly flavors. More nic and VG/PG. Add in a frother or other cheap mixer because by now they will probably be mixing larger volumes. And a mixing flask.

Then you could have an advanced kit. And by this point the user should have at least 100 flavors in their arsenal after having this kit. This isn’t to say they are an advanced mixer. This kit would just be to round out the noobs flavor stash so they can at least adapt most recipes with alternate flavorings. But with these kits at least they would have more of the right flavorings.

That would cover the gamut from those with low funds, all the way up to those that don’t have a limit on their budget. And in the end it would keep noobs from straying off course and buying a bunch of crap they don’t need.

I’m willing to put my two cents in on some of my preferred flavors if that counts for anything. I’ve always said I’m happy to organize something like this, I just don’t have a whole lot of input on it to offer. I have plenty of flavors, more than I did the first time this came around, but I still don’t feel like I could accurately say “this is better than that” with what I have. There are a few exceptions, like Capella’s coconut still can’t be beat for me, but for the most part I only have a couple vendors of any single flavor, if that, and haven’t tried most of them as singles so can’t really say how they do on their own. I can say that there are definitely some surefire ‘winners’ in the flavor world…FA and Inawera being tops for me, as I’ve never tried MF. Flavorah is up there as well with some top notch flavors. Cap has their corner where they excel, as do TPA and FW, but for the most part I’m all about FA and Ina.

I’m happy to pool everything together and keep track of it if you guys get to a point where you’re throwing ideas around and need that sort of thing. You know where to find me. :wink:

1 Like

I never saw this thread before? I think this is a great idea and the results need to be pinned!!

I have seen a lot of noobs lately posting the same questions over and over, like, “I want to make juice, what do I need?” or “Where do I buy…”

I know we are all super helpful around here but it does wear on you to have to answer the same questions over and over. I think this is a must for all the noobs!

3 Likes

Maybe @daath could make a mandatory page for all noobs to read through. Have a checkbox at the bottom. Kinda like agreeing to a license agreement in a software install. Before they peruse the forum they are sent to the noobie help page.

2 Likes

I could at least put a link to a topic in the welcome PM from the forum :smile:

3 Likes

This is fantastic!! Man I am glad I found you guys… I was just starting to write up a big “to-do” as I am placing my VERY FIRST big DIY order tomorrow. I think I have completely overdone things, but…what the hell, right! I figure I spent at LEAST $150.00 on e-quids in the last six weeks or so, so hopefully roughly that same amount spent on doing it MYSELF will last much longer and I can stop lining the pockets of the local “gourmet” e-quid makers…who’s prices are steadily climbing as well as their egos (why do people feel the need to get all elitist and snooty when it comes to taste?) The last few visits to what was once a friendly local vape store have just left a sour taste in my mouth.

THE PLUNGE

Now, I was not even thinking about getting a scale…as I was going to do everything with syringes, graduated beakers, pipettes etc. Does this generally work OK for folks? Also I have a 40mL funnel x2 in my list…not seeing it in yours…perhaps that is just something unnecessary…

Also…I had heard about people using a sonic tooth/gum brush thingy which vibrates and creates some heat. Anyone using one of these?

I was honestly planning on just aging my 'quids in the cabinet like days of 'yor…but being able to bring them to palatability (just invented a word apparently. I am using it to describe the liquids as being ‘palatable’)in a day or two is better than a week any day.

I am now eyeballing the Amazon Candle Warmer though. Seems like a no-brainer and I already have Prime.

If anyone feels like going through my list with me I’d appreciate it, as I am almost certain to have over ordered here and forgotten other things there, etc.

Just this post is a great help and starting point though! Thanks!

3 Likes

as a BRAND Noob here I agree whole heartedly. I was well into writing a new discussion topic about DIY starter kits and then I took a second to look around and…well…no need…the conversation had already well begun. As a heavy gamer and forum reader I feel your pain on having to endlessly repeat the same answers. The trick is getting folks to take that ‘second’ and look around before just jamming out questions.

Just my 2 cents.

GREAT SITE guys!

4 Likes
  1. Get a scale and you won’t regret it. Faster, easier, less messy, and you can mostly forget about pipettes and syringes and cleanup. AWS LB-501 scale can be had on Amazon for about $30. Absolutely LOVE mine!!

2. Forget about speed steeping for now. Later on you can spend money on that but you can make some tasty shake and vapes in the mean time while you let other things steep naturally. Eventually you can spend some money and get a heated magnetic stir plate or an ultrasonic bath. No need to start there though.

3. Keep on posting. You’ve found your way to the best part of this site which is the forum. You can get help with nearly every aspect of your vaping and mixing experience right here just by asking.

Enjoy and welcome aboard. :sparkles::boom::sparkles:

2 Likes

I still mainly mix with graduated cylinders, syringes and pipettes, ive been doing so for years. I own several scales but you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks… With that said graduated cylinders probably isnt the best way to measure out liquids, there is always quite a bit of residual liquid left in it.

Now this might surprise some people but i have been slowly getting back to my scales, it is just so easy. My main issue is that i have to store liquids in plastic bottles for easier mixing using less tools, i prefer storing liquids in glass so i store small amounts in plastics for mixing.

There was a time that i used heat to speed up the curing process, make things easier to mix or to decrease the viscosity of VG. I no longer do, heat will damage some of the more volatile aroma molecules which will cause a decrease in flavor or altered flavor. Now with saying that you could slightly heat your VG without much damage but there really is no need as long as you are patient. I mix my liquids, shake the holy crap out of them and then but them on the shelf in a cool dark place, until they are fully homogenized. I rarely touch any of my liquids until they have sat for a month and some even longer. I have a couple shake and vapes that i let sit for a couple days, i shake them a couple times while they sit.

Welcome to the group, feel free to ask any questions you need to ask. Also we have an IRC chat room, there are quite a few of us there and we are happy to answer questions too.

1 Like

awesome, thanks for the info!

gotcha. I think I’ll be OK once I get some 'quids in the cupboard on regular rotation…in a month there may be all sorts of strange and curious creations lurking in the shadows of my dresser…just have to slowly build it up. Looking forward to it GREATLY!

thanks for the help :slight_smile:

2 Likes