How can you clean out strong flavors?

A friend needed a tank for a few days so i gave him my Innokin iSub apex. When i got it back i didn’t like the water melon flavor he’s been using so i cleaned it as usual and filled it up with a different liquid. I thought the flavor will be out of the coil after a tank or 2. But this water melon flavor is unbelievable. Even after cleaning the tank in the ultrasonic cleaner the flavor is still overpowering everything i fill in there. I have cleaned the tank multiple times now in the UC but it still smells very strong of water melon.
I’ve given up on cleaning the coil. I can’t really just vape something else because everything you vape with it tastes of watermelon. I’ve cleaned it with PG, soaking it and blowing the PG out maybe 15 times without any luck. I actually think this is a miracle and i should manufacture these coils for watermelon lovers. All you need is one of those and some plain VG/nic.
Are there any tricks to get rid of such a strong flavor without killing the seals and plastic pars?

2 Likes

Give it a soak in some vinegar

6 Likes

I normally soak my tanks in vodka for a bit.

For bottles I use sterilising tablets like you would baby bottles - might do the job? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cheap 99% isopropyl alcohol will do for a good cleaning as well no smell and let it air dry you could rinse it off after soaking over the filter in your sink if it bothers you, then air dry.

4 Likes

Thanks, I can try the alcohol and the vinegar but i don’t have any vodka or sterilizing tablets. (I know, no vodka, what’s wrong with this guy?).
Will report back!

3 Likes

Come to my house, I have vodka. :wink:

10 Likes

shocker…

7 Likes

I usually use Everclear but you can use vodka or white rum as well. Keep in mine you need to rinse these out as well since they may not be pleasing to vape…

3 Likes

MY GOD, your not drinking the water are you?

3 Likes

I had the same problem once and lost a tank to it. :frowning: It’s those Malaysian liquids, they’re the worst, because they’re overflavouring them by at least 100% (people dilute their liquids 1:1 and can’t taste the difference, I hear). On top of that it’s all sweetener and koolada… Class. Anyhow, that’s why you can’t get rid of that taste. The story is I bought a Phoenix second-hand and lo and behold the former owner vaped friggin Malaysian water melon in it. I tried for months, soaking, dry burning, alcohol, ultrasonic cleaning, running water and unspeakable rituals - nothing helped. In the end I just ditched it. :tired_face:

3 Likes

Warm to hot water, agitate the tank under the water for a few minutes, leave to soak, agitate again, dry… works for me with every flavour I’ve used

1 Like

Baking soda dissolved in water works, too, if the vinegar or alcohol doesn’t. Good luck!

3 Likes

It’s submerged in 94% alcohol since yesterday. A first clean out with the alcohol didn’t work. I hope I can get it out eventually. This particular tank can’t be taken apart, you can only remove the coil.

1 Like

Vodka, the cheaper the better. (Not for mixing, for mixing use Absolut)

2 Likes

Wow… this may become the first time in about 10 years that i buy vodka. Or was it 15 years? Can’t remember… sometime when i was young.

1 Like

I cut it with water too. It’s the food safe alternative to rubbing alcohol. With rubbing alcohol you have to wait for everything to dry and gas off. If you use vodka you can be pretty sloppy about cleaning and vape pretty quick after you let it soak.

2 Likes

Damn. 24 hours in alcohol and it didn’t even scratch it. It’s now going to spend the night in vinegar. I wonder if the plastic windows survive the whole torture without getting milky.

1 Like

you can mix vinegar with baking soda for a fizz bath but i would only leave it in that solution for an hour. rinse very well afterwards. or water with a healthy spoonful of baking soda and let sit overnight. did this last night and it removed all the residual cinnamon

2 Likes

worst case fix is warm water and baking soda in an USC for 2-3 cycles. i guess i just dont like to acid bath my equipment to remove a stubborn flavoring. baking soda is very effective in removing stink

1 Like

Would those citrus cleaners be ok. Maybe citrus cleaner followed by alcohol. To make sure citrus is gone. Maybe time to get ultrasonic.