How to Test Multiple Flavors

Good Afternoon!

I am a new member to the e-liquid-recipes forums, and a new vaper. I love the idea of making my own e-juice, but a question has popped into my head recently: How in the world do I change flavors without the previous and new flavor mixing?

I currently vape on a Smok Alien with a Baby Beast Tank. I have noticed that once my tank is out of juice, and I want to put a different flavor in the tank, it just doesn’t taste right.

I have seen everyone saying to use an RDA, but also people are saying to test the flavors in what you vape because RDAs could produce a different flavor than a tank can. I don’t fancy spending about $3 a coil so I don’t get mixed flavors. Is there a way I can use the same coil, but use different flavors without burning my coils, or cotton, and not have the flavors mix?

I have no clue even where to begin with testing flavors, and I don’t want to waste liquid because I am doing something incorrect.

Thank you for all your help

• John
2 Likes

For single flavor testing, here a couple of things that might help, things that worked for me. 1 - mix up some unflavored 0 nic, it’s not as bad as it sounds just mildly sweet. Vape this until the previous flavor fades, then add the new flavor. 2 - pair the second flavor with the first on purpose. What I mean is, if you’re hoping to eventually someday make a watermelon strawberry mix, test your first single strawberry, then your first single watermelon then the second strawberry, then the second watermelon.

For testing recipes try the unflavored juice idea between flavors or just keep the profiles similar, a bakery mix followed by a cream mix followed by a cookie etc.

I use tanks as well and support the idea that it’s sensible to test how you vape. Some of the best mixes I’ve made came from accidental combos in my tank. Best of luck and welcome!

11 Likes

There is some controversy about the Joyetech Riftcore DUO RWTA because there is aluminum in the RFC heaters, But by far the best way to test flavors I have found is RiftCore DUO, I have the beta version and reviewed it here:

To rewick the DUO you just clean the tank, dry burn the coil, then cut a piece of Cotton Pad 5mm X 18mm and drag it between the heat elements, prime the cotton, fill the tank, and enjoy the new flavor.

I think this device will catch on more once the vapers who are talking bad about it read the MDS for their RDA vape wires :wink:

But I also do what Mizzz_Z does between tanks I run a “Blank Base” which is just unflavored liquid at my normal 9mg 60/40 ratio, half a tank will pretty much remove most of the flavor in the coil, especially if I clean out the deck and rinse/dry the glass and top of the tank…

4 Likes

On an RDA: change the cotton (re-wick).
On a tank: change the cartridge.

5 Likes

For TC(temp control) users, you can usually get the wick dry enough that if the recipes are light enough in flavours, the shift is not too bad. You also get to find out how overflavoured a recipe is when it hangs out for half a tank after you put something else in

5 Likes

Good points.

I’d also add (for the OP) that some flavors tend to “embed themselves” into the cotton (due to chemical composition). Ethyl Maltol does this, as does some orange and cinnamon flavors for example.

These can build up over time (some quicker than others), but you’ll learn to identify these as you gain experience. Some play nice together, some don’t.

8 Likes

Thank you for your input! I will forsure try the unflavored, 0nic mix in between flavors! I appreciate the help!

5 Likes

What do you mean by “cartridge”? I’m new to this whole thing. :confused:

2 Likes

Could I also just “wash out” my coils? Like after a certain flavor, could I take my coil out, run some water through the cotton, and then dry burn it to dry it out, or is that a no-no?

2 Likes

You can not, since it’s not a rebuildable.
Here’s what I did as I was using this tank.

Have two separate coils (can be the same ohm tho.) Use one for heavier liquids such as bakery and custards, and then switch for lighter liquids such as fruits.

Between every flavor change, run 1-2ml of your unflavored base through it, then use the new flavor. Or just go with it because after a tank or two, the flavor will have switched.

Once a week I would grab my used coils, and put them into hot water for 20 minutes, then rinse and let dry in a sealed container or zip lock bag. Due to the thick cotton that’s in there, it takes around 3 days to dry.

But it’s not really recommended and if you wanted longer lasting coils, first off I would say get a other brand but if that’s not an option, try finding juices with low sweeteners or make your own, using low or no sweeteners at all.

2 Likes

Basically, any coil assembly (where the coil and cotton are not meant to be user replaceable) that screws into an atomiser base.

3 Likes

You can only “dry burn” the coil when there’s no cotton. Dry burning is meant to allow the build-up to be burned off of the coil.

The primary reasons that factory cartridges ‘go bad’ (start giving off a funky taste) is because of:

• singeing the cotton (power too high for the wicking ability of the cartridge)
  • gunk build-up on the coil
  • flavor components accumulating in the cotton that aren’t playing well together.

So, given you can’t remove the cotton in a cartridge, you can’t dry burn a cartridge. :wink:

Once you advance, there are some cartridges that can be rebuilt. But IMO, this falls under building… Which means you have to have already learned the basics of wrapping coils, and wicking techniques (how to wrap the cotton around the coil, how much cotton to use, how to center the coil in the chamber, etc etc).

3 Likes

Suggest obtaining a simple 2 post for single coil usage RDA such as the Magma. For me, all atomizers can taste slightly different (too many variables) when compared to one another. I’m hoping that what tastes good in one atty tastes nearly as good in another atty. Might want to match coils ohms ratings as a start point.

4 Likes

Okay I understand now! Thank you for your input!!

5 Likes

I test flavors in an RDA, and just drip pure VG until the old flavor goes away.

3 Likes