I need a little guidance please on sft'ing

Hi! I need a little guidance please as I’m again trying to take on this daunting task of single flavor testing… here’s my issue. I’m doing from .5-6%. Now on the recipe part it says .5 is .03% flavor. Ok how do I do that exactly? Or maybe I can hear from some how they do their sfting. Any input is much needed and most appreciated. Btw I’m Vicki, I haven’t properly introduced myself yet and for that I apologize but I will do that today. God speed…;))

2 Likes

Do you mean that .5% is 0.03ml?

.5% is .5% no matter how much juice you are making.

3 Likes

Do you mean .5% is .03ml? Or .03 grams? I’d suggest getting a scale and mixing that way. It’ll be much quicker for you and you’ll be able to see on your scale exactly how much you’ve measured out. Fwiw, a single drop (depending on the bottle) is usually .02-.03g. Hope that helps a little!

2 Likes

If you mean 0.03 ml, is about one drop

2 Likes

If so 0.03% on 10ml is about one drop too…

1 Like

I mean just that it says .5% is .03 ml and I’m not sure the best way to get that amount… I’m making ml but i can do whatever… just looking for the best most accurate way to get that amount to test. Like is it 3 drops? How do others do their testing? Maybe I’m not going about it the right way

1 Like

My scale just doesn’t register 1 or 2 drops is the problem. Maybe not until about 8 or so drops do I get a reading. So yes that helps ty… kind of hard to wrap my head around.

1 Like

Should say 5 ml lol

2 Likes

My scale does that sometimes, too. Try adding your pg/vg/nic first, and then after the last of those but before your flavor, don’t hit tare, just leave whatever weight is showing up. Then just add the drop or 2 of flavor and you should be able to see that .03g register.

4 Likes

Does your scale measure to .01 or just .1 grams?

2 Likes

.01 but for whatever reason doesn’t register the first few drops

2 Likes

Maybe my solution is simple and I just need a new scale?

1 Like

Maybe…? Both of my scales actually do that sometimes, so I’m not sure what kinds of scales are good at measuring that small of an amount. I just count a single drop as .02g and call it close enough. :wink:

4 Likes

Take an empty bottle add 1ml flavor and 1ml pg and shake it. This gives a dilution 50% Flavor and that means that you have to double the ml of what recipe it is says.

2 Likes

and w/ small pipettes i use, i notice, not scientifically, 4 drops is .10g

3 Likes

Okok I like that tyvvm! :wink:

2 Likes

Okok vg! I like the small pipettes too but say you’re using a Flavorah bottle …same? Probably I think… tyvvm VM I appreciate your time!! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

again not scientific but flavor bottle drippers usually have smaller tips then pipettes

1 Like

Get a 1 ml syringe, they have 10 stripes, fill it to the third stripe and you have 0.3 ml

1 Like

Like others have suggested, either make bigger batches for testers or dilute your flavor.
I always have to think about FA Blackberry with this issue… 2 drops overpower a 30ml bottle. I just dilute it in PG (10% is easy to work with) and use that as a concentrate.

Counting drops is very inaccurate and especially if you use these tiny amounts, a drop too much or not enough can mean a 50% difference in flavor total.

1 Like