I need to learn about some flavors

Actually The Flavor Apprentice is supposed to be the flavors division as you know. PA is supposed to be their perfumer’s line which they call Perfumer’s Apprentice. Many of us DIYers call them TPA. Let’s confuse this even more. Their bottles say FA for flavors. I’m guessing their perfumer’s line bottles probably say PA. Soooo, I ask you, what do I mean? I have gotten into the habit of calling them TFA for The Flavor Apprentice hoping this is correct. In that back of my mind I’m thinking these guys are almost as bad as Nicotine Labs (formerly Flavor Envy, formerly Vapor Shots). I’m easy, I’ll call them anything they want but I do wish they would make up their mind…

1 Like

I realize that the flavors I mentioned aren’t standalone flavors, but reading a description or reading someone’s recipe percentages aren’t gonna give me that actual knowledge of WHAT the flavor TASTES like…I mean, I want to KNOW, first hand…I understand that my approach is quite possibly unorthodox, but, I simply must know. I’m willing to make a few bad decisions to get the right feel…so, on that note, should I try a 5% on a 2 ml? Or will it vary from flavor to flavor?

This is good. Keep in mind I did not know you knew that.

This is what I thought you were asking for. Just trying to help…

There is a little about some of the additives you mention here: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/master-mixers-tips-and-tricks :smile:

1 Like

2ml in a 15ml bottle?? Why is that?

True, I know - but on ELR, TFA is called TPA - if you add a TFA flavor, it will be merged into the TPA-one :smile:

Damn, I can’t wait until I get that issue fixed ;D hehe

1 Like

I don’t intend to be rude or disrespectful, I just come off strong…my apologies

1 Like

We just have to learn not to sweat it when companies can not make up their mind as to what to call themselves. I just feel bad for the noobies cause it makes it real hard on them…

1 Like

That was a good read, thanks, but it still leaves me out on the actual taste…

That is OK . Hands Shaken!

I don’t think you are realizing the info you seek is right in front of your face. Go to any recipe, click on any favor, and THERE is the info you seek for starting percentages…

Click here for Cotton Candy (TPA) or if you like EM

This is the info I speak of and it can be quite handy sometimes. Once you have a place to start you can mix something to taste…

1 Like

I have scads of 15ml bottles which I use to make test batches of a full recipe. I have found that 15ml worth of a test mix on an RDA is just enough for me to experience what I might need to tweek on the next version.

So, as I said previously, when just getting a taste of a new flavor, I only need about 2ml worth of mix to see what the flavor is all about; mixing up 15 ml of a single flavor, for me personally, would be a waste.

1 Like

Which ones? The page describes the taste of EM and acetylpyrazine, sour (malic acid) is… well sour :smile: Honey (TPA) is floral honey in low concentrations and changes, according to many, to cat piss at higher concentrations :smile: Dulce de Leche taste a bit like dulce de leche (sweet milk) :smiley:

I think what I am trying to say is that I need to just taste them and I was asking for safe percentages…like honey, for instance…I wanna try the honey in the floral honey percentage, and definitely not in the cat piss percentage…and the acetyl pyrazine, I wanna try that in a percentage that is not Frito, lol…
I guess I could have worded this all a lot better from the get go…I want to experience each flavor by themselves so as to understand it enough to use it and enough to recognize it…in the safe and enjoyable percentages

1 Like

Do you mix by weight (scale) or drops?

Previously by volume, with syringes…but my new scales will be here tomorrow and it will be by weight from here on out

1 Like

Ah ok, well for the additives like acetylpyrazine etc, see the list - as for the rest, try the flavor details pages - they usually gives you a rough idea of where to start :smile: Example: DDL: Check cookies

2 Likes

Good man! Set yourself up a “Test” recipe for mixing small amounts, say 2ml. Plug in what percentage you want to try of what flavor and go!

1 Like

I posted this thread a few days ago. There is good info about enhancers and additives.

1 Like

They have confused it even more by rebranding it Signature. I have labelled those under TFA at my flavour stash :weary:

2 Likes

Hi ! You will not want to mix mostly any of them as stand alones.

Depending on the vendor (maker of the juice )

Honey ( if it’s signature/ TFA) this is super concentrated 1% or less.

DDL Or dulce de leche 1-2% Milk creamy caramalized awesomeness

EM or ethyl malto 1% used to round flavors out and cut down on harshness and will add a sweetness but it unfortunately wipe the flavor slate CLEAN so easy does it.

AP or acetyl Pyrazine do yourself a favor right now grab a small glass bottle/vial and put 3mls of PG place 6 drops of AP in it then draw from there. AP will ruin a batch fast ! It’s bakery bready and super highly concentrated.

Sour- 1-3% in a 10 ml batch.

Smooth- also will wipe the slate clean Triacentin slightly sweet helps buff rough edges (blackberry for instance can be a rough edged fruit) 0.5-1% in the batch melds it nicely. Smooth can be used pretty much anywhere in the flavor profile but their is better alternatives with tobaccos but that’s for another day .

3-5 mls of flavors real flavors strawberry ex. that is a wonderful idea and it was how i got accustomed to my new flavors. But all of the ones you mentioned are really additives and shouldn’t be vaped alone or you might be turned off to vaping totally lol …meaning they would be nasty ! Hope this helps !

Sugar cookie : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/80585/Sugar+cookie+

4% Cookie (FA)
0.5% Ethyl Maltol 10% (TPA)
4% Nougat (INAWERA)
0.5% Super Sweet (CAP)
5.5% Vanilla Custard v2 (CAP)

Flavor total: 14.5%
Remember to rate it at: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/r/DbG

Tribute to grant’s : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/111899/Tribute+to+grant%27s+

2% DDL Gooey cookie 6/3 :
0.6% Super Sweet (CAP)
7.6% Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP)

Gooey cookie 6/3 : http://e-liquid-recipes.com/recipe/97456/Gooey+cookie+6%2F3

1% Acetyl Pyrazine 5%
5% Cookie (FA)
2% Custard (FA)
2% Glazed Doughnut (CAP)
3% Marshmallow (CAP)
3% Marshmallow (FA)
4% Marshmallow (TPA)
( this is before I made a marshmallow flavor base lol look at all that marshmallow ! i still love this recipe )
Flavor total: 20%
Remember to rate it at: http://e-liquid-recipes.com/r/KZ6

Here’s some examples of mine just so you can think about how they are being used in a recipe.

3 Likes