I QUIT Smoking by VAPING. The DATE, My STORY

I started smoking at age 14, by the time a quit (quite recently) I was a 30 a day smoker.
I got a eGo one for christmas last year which I used along side my normal smoking habits. It wasn’t untill new years that I did what every smoker says every year(this is the year I’m going to kick it)
However this time I meant it. So on the first of January I got rid of my last stinkie and while I was at it decided to give up booze as well.
Since then I have amassed quite a collection of juice, mods, tanks, and others goodies(go big or go home).
Now I’m just waiting for my vape mail so I can dive into DIY.

13 Likes

DYI is fun. You are in the right place!

6 Likes

It’s absolutely heart wrenching to watch something like that so my heart goes out to you.
After watching my friend basically disappear in front of my eyes (about 5 stones in the end) i will continue to try my best to get ppl to stop smoking. But until they experience something like that it does not sink in.
Horrible absolutely horrible.

6 Likes

Thanks Patti, it’s real and I wish more people understood. These were both good men and they both left us way too soon. Lots of good people smoke and vaping is the best way out if you like your inhalant habit :slight_smile: Incidentally - my vision has slightly improved since I quit! Just found out from eye doc!

5 Likes

Since my 2 year anniversary is coming up this month,
thought about my switch from cigs to vaping.
Like most of my generation, started young.
Joined the military right out of High School.
Didn’t help that in the military ( at that time ),
the price of a pack or carton was extremely little.
Seemed everyone smoked ( smoke’em if you got em).
After retiring from that, the Cigs had me.

Friend at work got me started by getting me a starter kit.
Stuck with it. Now that is a true friend.
( I now pay it forward when I can )

I now have found my sweet spot with equipment, so
my concern is about what goes into my ejuice.
Which brings me to this very helpful site.

A very large ‘Thank You’ to those who help us beginners.

15 Likes

I wrote this in another similar topic, last night. Couldn’t remember the exact date I actually quit, but I just looked it up (as i had told someone on facebook I was quitting) and turns out it was Valentine’s Day this year, so actually just under a month. Thought I would just repost what I had written, into here anyway, and expand on it a little…
I started smoking when I was 10, My friend Eddie at the time used to steal Marlboro’s from his dad, and we would go hide behind his shed in his back yard and smoke them, by 13, I was smoking much more regularly, as i was friends with some older kids who had easier access to them, and by 18, I was smoking a pack a day. That continued on and off, but mostly on, until recently, the last few years, with better vape equipment coming out seemingly daily, it has been easier to put down the habit of smoking cigarettes, and with my first sub-ohm kit, I felt I was ready to drop it 100%, however losing that mod has made it harder lately…

14 Likes

I had my last cigarette Nov 16 2014 I had my first cig in 1970 something not sure but got my first carton when I got my learners driving permanent in 1973 no longer needed to hide my smoking from mom and dad . I got a bad chest cold in around 1993 and figured if this is what breathing is going to be like later i dont want it so i stopped for a week .I also have worked most of my life around harsh chemicals including asbestos when I was a kid . So my way of thinking my lungs are fried anyhow I also did industrial spray painting and Welding. I tried to stop on few occasions but did not last long sort like it was a waste of time then my son who been on this new e cig deal for some time had one he just replaced. We found a broken wire in it fixed it and I started using it never intended to stop smoking. I knew it was a waste of time I was also getting lot of heat from my doctors . all of them about not smoking at the time I was just finishing up radiation treatment for skin cancer that would not stop .any rate my son and I were on the back porch talking about a lot of different things and I had been using the ecig for about 4 hours. and it dawned on me no cig my son told me that if I could get past the first cigarette in the morning.that it would get easier. And it did first morning was tuff but no stinky next morning two and half packs sitting on my night stand almost light one by habit .so moved them to the kitchen on top of the fridge .the closest I came to picking up was 4 days in my atomizer burned out at midnight next morning got a cig hot boxed the hell out of it nothing shit now can’t smoke can’t vapor looked up B M aka ecig store walked in asked them to help me before I killed someone he laughed fixed me up with 3 atomizers two bottles of juice all cost less than two days of cigs would last a week. one was to be my favorite for months to come tobacco can’t stand it today the money I saved I started buying juice ecigs never turned back now I got spares on top of spares enough juice supplies to Last a long time .the big plus for me building coils working on mods keeps my mind occupied I still enjoy going to the brick and mortars .I got to compete in a couple of cloud comps last year my health ain’t what i would like it to be but it is what it is .and I know it’s better without the stinkys my doctors all say just keep doing what I am. when I started with the ecig vaping I had been using breathing treatment every morning to help me breathe stopped that a month into vaping and only needed my inhaler once

12 Likes

Been smoking since I was 16, ramped up to 2 packs a day by 29, working construction outside will do that. I had bought many vapes over the past 3 years and they worked for a few weeks, then they’d break on me or burn because I’d chain vape em.

Finally said fuck it last july, wife was 5 months pregnant and I wanted to be around for our daughter, so i bought a new setup (IPV3 li and I belive the arctic horizon, could be wrong here). On the way back home from the vape shop I gave a hobo a full pack of smokes I had on me and I haven’t bought a pack since. I’m feeling much better, I used to wake up most nights coughing. shits great.

My daughter was born oct 6 2015 and will never witness her daddy smoke a dart :smiley:

17 Likes

No exact day, but August 2015 I was smoking almost 50 a day, after starting smoking again 12 years ago, going through a stressful time and I made the mistake of bumming a smoke as a way to chill out… Bad idea! (I’d experimented as a school kid as most of us do, but was convinced of the error of my ways after about a year of sly fags). Anyhow, having tried so many times with patches, sprays, cold turkey and always going back, I tried a cheap ecig, and although I didn’t stop, I managed to cut back on the cigs, until it broke, then more stress through redundancy led me back to full time smoking, I gave up trying, typical addict behaviour.

My son came over one day with a Kanger Evod, which I tried and found quite good, and didn’t give it another thought. It wasn’t until 3 hours later I realised I hadn’t lit up since he left, which was a long time for me. I bought an Evod 2 the next day, and I was down to 2 a day inside a week.A month later I bought a Subox mini and haven’t really looked back, the real turning point was finding a good all day vape (Ruthless Slurricane), but I save that one for a treat a couple of days a week.

Since then I’ve had a few periods of falling off the wagon, maybe 5-10 a day, but they’re few and far between now, and I’m down to 3mg, partly due to the sub ohm being too much to take on any more than 6mg.

While I dont see myself as a truly quit, ex smoker yet, (I wont feel like that until I’m down to 0 nic), I’m amazed that I’ve got to where I am, I never thought I’d manage to kick the cigs, but thanks to the knowledge of my local vape shop staff, and the support of my wife who keeps me in check when I feel like lighting up, I’m happier and healthier than I’ve felt in years, and the satisfaction I get from tinkering, building coils and now DIY liquids is great.

I’d urge anyone like me who has tried and failed to try this, you won’t regret it!!

11 Likes

I quit two weeks before Thanksgiving. The problem for me was, what to do with this extra, empty hand??? Anyway, vaping is keeping both hands busy and a new hobby. Congrats to all who’ve made the switch, 95% less caustic than cigarettes is a good move.

10 Likes

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this site that has helped me mix too. Staying off the (%^$&^% yuck things) is a challenge…but the selflessness of this group sharing recipes and tips is a huge part of what keeps me motivated.

Thank you one and all (even those I have disagreed with here lol)

:sparkling_heart:

15 Likes

I bought my starter kit on February 26,2016 and smoked my last cigarette on February 28,2016. It’s only been a month, but honestly with my the help of my vape device and good juice it’s been easier than I ever imagined. I smoked for almost 20 years and always thought I’d quit one day. I’ve tried the patches, the gum, and even dipping. None of that stuff worked. I grew up in a house full of smokers and as a kid I hated it. My son is 3 years old and I’m ashamed to say that even his birth wasn’t enough to make me quit. It took a little intestinal cancer scare to push me in the right direction, then I finally took some advice from a friend and tried vaping. I’m super glad I’m no longer exposing my child to cigarette smoke and that he won’t have to go to school smelling like an ashtray the way I did.

-Many thanks to all those who post great recipes here. It’s a big help to me, already less concerned with the nicotine and more concerned with flavor.

17 Likes

Smoked my 1st cig at age 10; smoked my last 2 years ago at age 61…that’s 51 years. If the politicians and never-smokers knew what a blessing vaping is to us new non-smokers, they would not be busting our butts over vaping, rather rejoicing with us and encouraging acceptance. I’m thankful to the ELR community for all the support and great recipes; you’ll be seeing a lot of me.

16 Likes

Thats a long time to be somking, congrats on quitting after so long. And well done.

6 Likes

You are my hero.

6 Likes

Smoked for 30 years a pack a day… It’s crazy… I have been smoke free since Nov 2015…started vaping and quit smoking right away… just took off from there…DIY now and I can finally say…I don’t smoke, when asked that question…
My friends are now on the vapetrain and its awesome to see so many people quitting. Ifeel beter …my clothes and house dont smell…and Im not outta breath walking up stairs…lol… The powers that be think this needs to stop…well…I dont think they care about our health…I think they are losing huge amounts of tax income on cigarettes and that is probably the sad truth…

17 Likes

Daniel sorry it took me so long to find this. First THANK YOU for your service and also for sharing your story. If there is anything that you need let us know we are all here to help.

8 Likes

I smoked clove cigarettes and Marlboros for 23 years. Heard about ecigs, spent a weekend investigating, and ordered a small pile of stuff for the wife and I. After the package arrived we checked things out, charged batteries, and did some more reading to make sure we were going to do things correctly.

The following Saturday I put a stake in the ground and told myself that I’d start vaping at noon. I lit a cigarette at 11:53, put it out at noon, and fired up an ecig. I had my last cigarette at 4:00 PM that day. And haven’t had one since.

That Saturday was Labor Day weekend, 2009, so I’m pretty close to 7 years of vaping.

18 Likes

@DanHank - Thanks for your service! Former EOD technician that served with distinction like you - during the 1st Gulf War and Operation Southern Watch.

Where do I begin? Good grief - I think it was swiping a few sticks from my elderly Aunt Lisa (who smoked like a chimney) and trying menthol cigarettes that got me hooked at 15. From there, even still physically active with Hockey, Soccer (or Football for you European types) and competitive Swimming in the summer - I managed to keep under half a pack a day until I joined the EOD and went up to NAS Whidbey Island in Washington state.

From there… I ballooned up to almost 2 packs a day for the next 8 years, got married, had kids, quit drinking (can’t throw up on the kids, karma is a bummer), and tried quitting smoking… 12 times. You name it, cold turkey, nicotine patch, hypnotism… it boggles the mind.

So from 1991 through 2015 I smoked, unsuccessfully quit 12 times, and then a friend of mine from work (now that I work I.T. and not the same stress as the military) showed me a vape pen and let me borrow his spare for a week.

From February 2015 to September 2015 I gradually reduced the nicotine content (now I’m at 3mg after starting at 18mg) and the cravings for analogs is just about gone. Officially however, May 2nd, 2016 is my official quit date - have been analog free since then, and haven’t looked behind me since.

16 Likes

Always glad to meet others who quit, and welcome.
Like you, I do 3mg for RDA’s but need 6mg for my low watt tanks.
You can pick up a lot of good info and help here.
Also, Thank You for your Service.

4 Likes