I QUIT Smoking by VAPING. The DATE, My STORY

Hey… I just joined the forum, and thought i would share my story… I started smoking aged about 12 at school to try look cool and be like my friends… I would say by 17, I was hooked enough not to be able to give up for another 28 years. I had been smoking a pack of 12gm rolling tobbaco a day with out a filter for about the last 7 years or so. I have a young daughter so really wanted to give up, but found it so difficult. Moving into a new flat where it was stipulated on the contract that i could not smoke, i tried a commercial vape pen (tobbaco company one), whose atmosier broke within the week and i couldnt find a replacement. In desperation i walked into a premium vape shop to ask if they had a replacement , and they gave me a mod vape to try . I loved it . There was a seasoned vaper buying some replacement gear, so i said i will have what he had got (he knew his stuff) - segellei 75 W TC, Uwell crown, samsung batteries, and I chose some juice i liked - G2 Dr green. I couldnt believe that vaping completly stopped me wanting to stop smoking cigarettes. That was May 15 2016, and now more than a month later, i have only had 6 drags on a ciggie.

Whilst the premium juices taste amazing, as a artist /animator they are a bit beyond my budget, so ordered a basic DIY kit and have mixed one recipe (addys custard) and tried mixing a few fruit flavours, which arent perfect yet but Im still learning.

I wish vaping had been around when i was 17 and I first wanting to quit, I probably would be a lot healthier than i am now, with all the side effects of smoking, stained teeth, etc… but you know what ! Vaping has really changed how i feel. I always used to feel embarrased about smoking and not be able to give up. It feel great to do doing something positive for my health, I may be around longer for my daughter, and Im not wasting money on cigarettes that damage me - instead i can spend more on my daughter and my art… Peace and blessings to forums such as this… they are kinda empowering.

16 Likes

Welcome, glad to have you here with your new Vape family.

6 Likes

I started Smoking in grade 8, not sure why I did it was stupid. Started by having a couple smokes just during the day with friend to buying my own packs and even sneaking out my window to smoke before bed at night. I smoked quite hapilly until I was pregnant with my 12 year old and then of course tried to quit and it was pure hell I smoke a cig right after having her via c-section and it made the world spin and I almost passed out but I just kept on smoking… I tried quiting again with those patches when she was about 8 months old, the patches literally welted my skin and didnt actually really help with the cravings. I then went to the doctor who put me on medication to help me quit I cant remember the name of it but It was horrible within a few weeks I was still smoking but now I was noticing some very disturbing changes in personality I was very short tempered (I walked around literally wanting to kill people) and was having suicidal thoughts. So I of course got the hell off that medication. My boss at work suggested hypnotherapy so I tired that with zero success. Tried picking up and using nicotine gum (ewww yuck thats just nasty). Gave up on quiting at that point and decided I enjoyed smoking and would smoke til it killed me… then in early summer of 2012 I was at the zoo with my brother who is/ was also a smoker… and he was vaping instead of smoking he went on and on about how great it was and how I should try it. I didnt take the bait. I actually went home and looked up all the info I could find on it though to prove he was probably killing himself with that. The research made me think maybe I should try it though. A few weeks later I bought a ego starter kit and quit smoking I thought for good… but a long serious of leaking tanks, some bad heads later and I broke down one day and bought smoke in december 2014 and it went from there with me smoking… about three weeks ago though I ran out of smokes in the middle of the night I pulled out a ego a protank and some (expired juice) in a moment of desperation and vaped it. the juice was still tastier then my smokes and there was no way to get smokes before morning… in the morning I bought smokes but thought I should really try vaping again… I then bought a kanger top box two days later on a whim when I noticed a vapeshop next to my bank and some juice… and quickly realized the ejuice it goes through is insane so here I am getting into dyi… the equipment is so much more reliable then it was so its no longer a huge struggle to keep vaping and im hoping this time its for good.

15 Likes

Sounds like the fabulous Chantix. My insurance would have paid for it if I had wanted to take it but after reading the side effects I said hell noooooo… I’m already a grumpy old man I really don’t need the urge to kill myself, or more likely, someone else :slight_smile:

13 Likes

That medication should not be given to people its scary. I can’t believe its given to people to quit smoking. Id rather chain smoke 24/7 than take that ever again (and I find smokes repulsive now)

8 Likes

I started early also, smokers were the only people allowed outside during lunch at school.

4 Likes

Welcome and good on ya for giving it another shot!! We’re here if you need help.

7 Likes

I started smoking when I was 13. The “cool” kids at school were smokers and as a young teen I was impressionable to say the least. I remember them offering me a smoke and I sat there doing my best not to cough and look the part. This became my daily ritual. At the time, I was only smoking at school at school with my awesome new friends. This went on for about a year. Then I started standing outside of the gas station asking people to buy me cigarettes. Back in those days it was easy and people were eager to help out a young kid. By now I am 15 years old and smoking daily, by myself. I was still convinced that it wasnt a problem and I could quit anytime I wanted to. Fast forward about 10 years. Now I am smoking a pack a day and that is if I am not drinking, and lets face it, when you are in your mid twenties you drink just because you can and on those occasions it would be more like 2 packs a day. This continued on for another 10 years. Now I am 35 years old and know that I need to quit. As you get older you start thinking about all of the dumb shit you did when you were younger. I thought about all of it and wondered why I was still smoking. At this point I knew without a doubt that if I kept smoking it would eventually kill me. So I was on a mission. I decided I was going to quit cold turkey. Ha! Lasted about a half of the day until I went and bought a pack. I started researching different options. I decided I would try the patch. I bought them and put one on. It seemed to work ok. I mean I made it through the day without a cigarette and I didnt rip anyone’s head off. I went to sleep, woke up, put on another patch. About halfway through the day it started falling off. I wasnt sweating or anything it just wouldnt stick that well. I grabbed some tape and tape that sucker to my arm and finished out the day without a smoke. This went on for about 4 days. On that 4th night I went to sleep and started having crazy dreams. Very vivid and very twisted. I thought ok, it was only a dream, I can manage. Well, I was mistaken. After about a week of some of dreaming some of the craziest shit you can imagine I had had enough. I was done with the patch and almost 2 weeks of not smoking just wasnt enough and by the end of the day I had a pack of smokes in my pocket. I tried all kinds of other methods as well and all failed. I thought there was no way I was going to be able to quit. Then my brother suggested vaping. I had heard of it but honestly didnt think it would help. I went out and bought a Aspire CF Sub Ohm with an Atlantis Tank. I was vaping and not even thinking about smoking cigarettes…plus with all of these delicious flavors how in the hell could I go back to that trash?!! Well I couldnt. Yesterday makes a year for me smoke free and if it wasnt for vaping I would still be smoking nasty fucking cigarettes. So thats my story. If I can do it, anyone can. Have faith in yourself and do what you gotta do to stay off of cigarettes. There is no positive outcome. Vapeon!

16 Likes

There was a lot more in the middle…idk what happened to it lol. Anyway…

10 Likes

Camel Lt smoker for about 24 years. My official stats per the “Smoke Free” app…$4,380.00 saved 355 smoke free and 14,201.6 cigarettes not smoked.

Yes today is the day I purchased for the second time a vape kit a 30watt iStick with 2.5ml Kanger tank 1.8ohm coils Sweet. First kit 3 years (eGo pen thing) held my attention for a few days. I loved smoking and had NO intention of quitting all together. Just sick of all the price hikes and no-smoker harassment when out in public. I was smoke free in less that two weeks with out much effort on my part. The less I smoked the better I felt, breathed and a life with less/no coughing was wonderful.

I had to delete the rest… it was a rant. no one gives a shit about people that vape BUT other people that vape. I feel a strong ex-smoker alliance in these forms. I love mixing and hope not to loose my new hobby due to regulations.

17 Likes

Thank you GRG, much appreciation

5 Likes

@ringling I love this thread, and the stories in it. Congrats to those who’s lives have improved, with vaping. It’s an awesome accomplishment.

Keep mixing, get a stash of equipment & supplies that work for you. There’s still time. I encourage everyone to. We’re living proof that what they are trying feed everyone is BS.

To use a mock Latin phrase that’s been around a long time:

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Don’t let the bastards grind you down.

13 Likes

3th day into vaping…don’t know it’s right to post so fast here…but since my only thoughts are into vaping since i smoked my last cigarette i presume it’s going to work for me this time…

where should i begin…well started smoking around 12 or 13 years old, now i’m 43…
over the years of smoking around 1 package a day, i quit 4 times, sometimes for a few months, one time for over a year and a half…but started smoking again…knowing how hard it is to quit…

last months i was thinking about quitting again, or changing to the e-cigarette… talked a lot about it, but didn’t find anyone who could convince me…till i went on holiday in Turkey where i met ‘The Vapor King’, a guy who quit smoking cigarettes and started vaping… he also has some recipes here on e-liquid-recipes…

we talked about vaping, recipes for ejuice, mods, tanks etc… and he was able to answer to all the questions that passed my mind…

on that same holiday…i ordered online some mods for myself, my wife and my son, all smokers…and made the decision to start vaping…back home…the mods arrived…went to a shop to get some liquids and we started vaping…

till now, i don’t feel the need to go back to the cigarettes…and i am so convinced in the personal succes of vaping…that i would dare to say…I QUIT SMOKING BY VAPING

17 Likes

Congrats on quitting smoking :grinning:

3 Likes

I tried over a period of 6yrs to stop smoking.

First 3yrs:
Cold Turkey - Lasted 2 days…
Doctors Smoking Cessation - Used an inhalator for 3 months…

It was only when I started to feel ill, out of breath when doing the simplest of things that something clicked in my brain and I became determined to stop smoking.

3yrs Later:
I made a Doctors appointment for me and my wife and off we went i chose the inhalator that worked for me before and my wife tried patches.
While i was ok with the inhalator the patches burned my wifes skin and she was quick to stop using them, thats when she decided to get an e-cigarette, one of these - https://www.vividvapours.com/index.php/e-liquid-electronic-cigarette-shop/e-liquids/vivid-e-liquid-starter-kit.html#GYt658hdCTgaM8CO.97 (they were £10 a kit at the time)

She was happy with it and for the next few days we were both content with what we had, until i tried the e-cigarette…

To say I was amazed is an understatement, I immediately went and bought 2 kits.

For a good 3 months I vaped it quite happily until i started to read about other methods of vaping, not knowing anything I purchased an Aspire CF VV battery (its huge!) and a couple of aspire tanks with .6ohm BVC coils.

After a few months I started to understand the difference and decided to look into “proper” tanks, my first proper tank, a kangertech Nano with .5ohm SSOCC’s was and still is an incredible little tank, i was then given an istick 30w and a few days later i borrowed a kangertech kbox mini…

I now rock a Griffin 25 RTA and i love it!!

Worst thing i ever did was start smoking, the best thing i ever did was discover vaping!

Happy Vaping!

17 Likes

Hi, I smoked for around 30 years, stopped smoking 4 years ago when I developed a constant cough which was that bad it started making me sick. Went cold turkey for a while but was dying for a cig nearly every waking moment, fortunately my next door neighbour vaped and was mixing his own liquids at the time and he gave me a spare pen and some juice.

4 years later and I haven’t had a cig my setup has changed several times and I really enjoy using a dripper, I now have a fair few but still like my first purchase (a derringer) the best.

14 Likes

I stopped the Analog cigarette madness two years ago after thirty plus years of killing myself slowly. It took all of two weeks to completely put down the pack,and that’s where Vaping came in.It helped me cope with the withdrawals by supplying the nicotine that smokers crave without all the other stuff. When I started Vaping I was using 18mg of nicotine Today two years later I’m at 2mg’s of nicotine and headed to 0. I could have not succeeded if not for my first Evod.Vaping has changed and I do believe saved my life, and now they want to take it away.
I see no good steaming from the new FDA regulations, that are bearing down on vapers, “Telling grown people what’s good for them”. It’s one important thing that our government needs to know."Vapers gonna Vape"you can’t stop that. The only thing these ill conceived laws will do is Kill more people with traditional smokes and to create another BLACK MARKET to contend with. Imagine the “Chinese Nicotine Mafia” smuggling illicit drums of poison to our shores flooding the under ground with cheap bombs disguised as Mechanical Mods. Batteries that foam and discharge for no reason other than being inferior.The Emergency rooms filled with nicotine and e-juice over dosed people who just wanted a better way to get off Analog cigarettes. It’s a Mad,mad,mad mad world out there,stay calm and Vape.

10 Likes

Chantix was awesome for me. No side effects whatsoever. There were only two problems.

One: the cost. (especially with no insurance)

Two: my dumbass going back to smoking after successfully being off smoking for two months.

It wasn’t until vaping came into my life through a conversation with an online gaming friend (whom I met playing CSS with a couple years ago).

7 Likes

I started smoking when I was 12 years old. I smoked until I was 31 and started having major health issues. One day we got a coupon in the mail from Marlboro for their new e-cig, $1 for the stick and $1 for a pack of cartridges, so I decided for two bucks I can give this a try. After a few days my cigarette smoking was down by over half! After a week and a half of using this pen I found it was time to upgrade to a better method. After a few bad deals, due to my experience, I found a great mod and tank. During this time my husband also switched to vaping about 3 weeks after I started with the e-cig, I was the guinea pig.
We decided to take what money we would have smoked and went to a vape shop and bought 6 flavors at about $150. That price tag was way more than I was expecting, but we did get things like Ripe Vape VCT Reserve, which is pricy.
Late that week I started looking into the DIY side if things, I am chef, mixing flavors is what I do for a living, so why not apply that to a new hobby and save a lot of money in the process? So I did just that, started super small, some v.g., p.g. and 3 concentrates just so I could dip my toes in the water before I jumped in, which I did on my next 2 orders bringing my stash up to around 60 and growing.
We both feel so much better since we switched to vaping, I can hold my breath under water for more than the 30 second smokers lung would allow, up to a little over 1.5 minutes now! We have cut our nic. level down from 12mg to 6mg.
Thanks Marlboro for the coupons! I don’t think the end result was what they were looking for, but thats life.

14 Likes

I quit smoking November 10th, 2015. I started smoking at 16 and had been trying to quit without success, since I was 21.At it’s peak my smoking habit reached 2 packs a day, frequently having 2-3 smokes consecutively. I tried every pharmaceutical replacement and homeopathic cleanse, you name it and it didn’t work for me. I even tried hypnosis, but the Jedi mind trick doesn’t work on big tobacco’s addictive chemical cocktail. A number of my employee’s had already made the switch to vaping and they had been after me to try it for months. Well, on November 7th, the day before I was to start my vacation they presented me with a Kanger Subox kit and 2-15ml. bottles of e-liquid at 6mg. The first flavor I tried was supposed to taste like a Marlboro but with my taste buds being shot all I could taste was a nutty molasses.I managed to vape through 2 tanks of that juice over the next 2 days but I was still smoking. I enjoyed vaping but the flavor of the juice was just strange to me, it was like vaping mixed nuts with baked beans. On day 3, I switched to a fruity liquid called Beetle Juice and everything changed, I found myself reaching for the vape when I would get a craving to smoke, this liquid just tasted so good. I had to make a trip to the store to purchase more liquid the next day because I was almost out. Over the next few weeks/months, I started researching everything I could about the equipment I was using and the liquid I was vaping. The next thing I knew, I had 3 mods, 4 tanks, and 2 rda’s. I was building my own coils and suddenly I found myself here researching how to mix my own e-liquid. I have now officially traded an addiction for a full blown compulsive hobby.

16 Likes