I Quit Smoking, Now Let's Quit Nicotine

Right on. If you are at 3mg. or less, it was easy for me. Just keep chipping away at the mg. and saving money along with feeling good about your decision. Can always up the mg. if not working.

Itā€™s doubtful I would have problems. Iā€™m at 2mg now and would just drop 1/2 mg say every 200 or 250 mls. Sorta like I did when going from 18mg to 2mg only now I subohm and the increments are different. Honestly at 2mg Iā€™m not so sure I have the nicotine dependency I had. Used to be I had to have a cigarette immediately upon waking up in the morning. Itā€™s not the same with my Vape these daysā€¦

3 Likes

Or keep some mixes with 2 mg. and some zero. Just do not label them. Lots of advantages here.

I wonā€™t go to zero unless I have to since I can not vape flavors. Whatā€™s the point, right?

2 Likes

Hehe I fixed it. I didnā€™t even realized Iā€™d put 2-3% lol. 2-3mg/ml is definitely what I meant !

This is pretty much my (backwards) reasoning. Although I am not dependent on nicotine and I quit cigs cold turkey, years before I vaped, I feel that if Iā€™m going to risk the unknowns with vaping, I may as well get something out of it.
I realize that is an absurd way to look at it but if Iā€™m vaping straight VG and then we find out vaping causes a mutation in our DNA that turns us into gerbilsā€¦then it was all for not!
Unless I am mixing for others, I never calculate my nicotine bottle by bottle. When I started vaping it was on a nautilus and my nicotine was in the double digits. When I switched to subohm, I would just make a 6mg VG base and then my finished product would be 5-6mg. Last year I lowered my bases to 4mg and I have been ok with that. I may or may not lower it again but Iā€™m content with what I do at the moment

1 Like

Me and my wife quit smoking last June of 2015 after smoking for 30 years, since then we have never tried anymore a single cigarrete but instead we got only vaping.

Last February we saw our first 0 mg nicotine liquids, after a 7 months period of a more or less planned nicotine reduction. Currently my wife almost doesnā€™t vape unlike me that keep vaping a daily small 2ml tank.

My advice is to put 2 priorities:
1 - Never get back to cigarretes regardless how much nicotine you need.
2 - Take your time to reduce nicotine, donā€™t go too fast.

We made successively several experiments of time to time to reduce the amount of nicotine to the half and each time we did it weā€™d always let ourselfs revert back in case of feel too much stress with the lack of it.

As to me, my body response to each nicotine step reduction was an increase at the daily e-liquid consumption, other than that Iā€™ve been always fine and so was my wife.

Iā€™ve learnt that while vaping quitting the nicotine can be easy, however it must not be made in a fast way. You need to give your body some time to adapt to each new nicotine smaller dose.

Thereā€™s another issue to consider on this reduction process. Nicotine influences your metabolism, if you deprive too fast your body from nicotine, your metabolism responds to the lack of it and most likely youā€™ll start to add weight which you probably donā€™t want with all the associated problems.

Knowing what we know today about what problems vaping pose to the health, I guess we are all fine staying vaping as long as it is needed and reducing at nicotine. So no problem at all in being several months or 2 years or even more reducing nicotine and thus granting that you arenā€™t going nuts for the lack of nicotine and keep mentally healthy to be doing your regular life, or that you donā€™t get fat.

Taking nicotine to 0mg is great, as to me Iā€™m happy to had at last get rid of it but for the sake of your health donā€™t go too fast but instead take several solid steps.

1 Like

Iā€™m at 2mg/ml too (look at that one @daath :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) I had a very bad flue in January, my throat felt like I had been gargling with broken glass and I didnā€™t vape at all for over a week. When I was still smoking it really didnā€™t matter how bad my throat felt when I was ill, I would smoke anyway. I still have enough nicotine in the freezer to last me for years but if I was forced to go without, I know I can do it :relaxed:

2 Likes

Yeah, recently had the flu too. I was still vaping but could not inhale at all. Still am not using my subohm stuff. Not sure how long it is gonna take for me to get back to normalā€¦

1 Like

I smoked for 45 years, and switched to vaping about 9 months ago. My first month of vaping I was trying vape shop tobacco flavors at 12mg/ml. A month into vaping, I got tired of the meh tobacco juices I was trying, and decided to go DIY. I dropped the nic to 9mg/ml when I started DIY. No big deal. A month or so later, I dropped it to 7mg/ml. Still no big deal. Didnā€™t notice much of a difference, if any.

A couple of months later, I dropped it to 4mg/ml. At first, I didnā€™t notice any real difference. Then I started feeling a little ā€˜offā€™. A tougher time concentrating at work, a bit fatigued, anxious & antsy, and a little depressed. I wasnā€™t sure what the hell was happening. Iā€™m 61, and wondered if I was losing my crackers, because of age or something. I didnā€™t put 2 & 2 together, it never even crossed my mind, that it could be nicotine withdrawal symptoms.

Then a light went off and I looked up nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Bam, everything I was experiencing was right there in the list. I was relieved to see it. At least I knew WHAT was causing it. I stayed with it. I knew I could bump it back up a little, if the symptoms didnā€™t go away, but they did, after a few weeks.

Iā€™ve stayed at 4mg/ml since, and feel fine (for 61). Iā€™m confident I could inch it lower, a little at a time, without a problem, and I probably will in the future.

Iā€™m sure everyone is different, but my window of weirdness was going from 7 to 4 mg/ml.

3 Likes

Nope my window of weirdness was the exact same. Had a very hard time stepping down from 6 to 4 mg have no idea why. At current I am vaping 2-3 mg this has been an on going slow process over the last 6-8 months for me. I will get there. Then idk what Iā€™ll do once I get to zero ? Goal accomplishedā€¦ Probably will stay at 2 mg once I get there comfortably. I just stepped down this week. So weā€™ll see and congrats on your progress !

1 Like

I have a little over a liter of 100 mg nic in the freezer now. I vape 5 or 6 ml a day, a little more on the weekends. Maybe one of the math experts can check my calculations, but at 5 ml a day, I think thatā€™s about 13 years at .4mg. I might be off.

I think I can make my reduction program last a long timeā€¦lol.

Edit: Oh wait, I have a little over 2 liters in the freezer, now that I think about it. Heck, Iā€™m set until the guy with the shovel shows up.

2 Likes

I started vaping with 18mg juice but that didnā€™t seem to satisfy, so I started buying 24mg. Vaped that for years until switching to carto tanks and dropping back to 18mg. After getting a Kayfun I dropped it to 12mg because I was getting a serious nic buzz whenever I took a vape break at work.

Now itā€™s DIY time, mixing with 12mg nic base; now the juice comes out at between 11 and 11.5mg strength. Seems like Iā€™m taking longer drags because thereā€™s less of a throat hit. I crave the throat hitā€¦

Nicotine has a constricting effect on blood vessels, which reduces blood flow and raises blood pressure. Thatā€™s not so good for me since I have hypertension and diabetes. Doctor keeps advising me to quit nicotine so maybe Iā€™ll step it down in 0.5mg/ml increments.

But when the 12mg base runs out, thereā€™s 1-1/2 liters of 100mg waiting in the freezer. Lord, make me strong!

1 Like

I canā€™t find any proper info on this subject. They talk about smoking and solely blame the nicotine for all the side effects. No mention of the other chemicals involved or the carbon monoxide that is released with combustion.

Iā€™m comfortable these days at 3mg. Keeps urges at bay, and I enjoy the vape.

If I was to go to 0mg, well, I may as well just buy sweets and save even more money! :smiley:

I donā€™t vape just for the fun of it.

1 Like

Donā€™t know your doctors reasoning but nicotine is the cause of spider veins clogging up in legs, ect. Can cut down circulation and you lose feeling in the limb effected. It is what has happened to me in my feet. It effects the larger veins as well making them shrink. Supposedly this is provenā€¦

1 Like

My circulation has drastically improved with vaping, thatā€™s why Iā€™m wondering if nicotine is really the culprit. It probably plays a part, but there are a lot of other things at play when youā€™re lighting one up. I have cut down on nicotine but I vape a lot more than I used to smoke so I probably get as much nicotine now as I did when I smoked. They also blame nicotine for the addictiveness of cigarettes but trying to get lab-rats addicted to nicotine was proven to be nearly impossible.

Yes, mine has too. Not 100% but much much better then when I was smoking for absolute sure!! [quote=ā€œJosephine_van_Rijn, post:37, topic:45509ā€]
They also blame nicotine for the addictiveness of cigarettes but trying to get lab-rats addicted to nicotine was proven to be nearly impossible.
[/quote]

Yeah, I think we have all heard of the tobacco companies adding stuff to make the cigarettes even more addicting. Either that or the lab rats are far more smarter than we areā€¦lol

1 Like