Im new to D.I.Y E-Juice

Simple doesn’t make it not good. There are lots of good three flavor recipes, and some single also.
Research is never ending in DIY. Every day I learn something, especially here.

2 Likes

Yup, I am always learning more from here. Some brilliant mixers about.

1 Like

Some of the basic mistakes I’ve done so far which I’ve learned to correct after visiting this forum and the ELR site:

• Not giving the nicotine bottle a shake - resulting in harshness
  • Buying and using cr*p flavours without checking if they contain DAP
  • Buying nic and other stuff from random online vendors through random google search
  • Not fine tuning by adding distilled water, saline, MTS etc.
  • Relying on ‘drops’ to measure - bought a 0.01g digital scale yesterday. Goodbye syringes.
4 Likes

Your going to love mixing by weight. May have been the worst thing I’ve done so far in DIY. Because it so easy and fast I’m making ten time more juice than needed.

You have embarked on a long journey Grasshopper. The road will be filled with potholes and days of glory. Fear not for ye have joined an elite group of mixers who will mentor you through every step… but be warned you will spend a metric crap ton of money before you can call yourself a master.

So saith Maureenie, this year of our Lord, 2016 (ha)

7 Likes

#Truth

NERDS: backslash is escape char for #

1 Like

True that, mixing is so much easier now with the scale. However, the scale I bought isn’t sensitive enough and does not register when I add drops of flavour. It wakes up only when I add the drops a a fast rate. Being in the UK., AWS scales are expensive here or I’m looking in the wrong places. Search for a decent yet affordable scale continues…

1 Like

Got mine on Amazon for less than $30. I’m sure some of the people in your area will jump in and help you with a link.
Search mixing by weight. Tones of links here for cheap scales and every thing else.

https://m.fasttech.com/p/2050005

@ozo told me a trick to use if your scale doesn’t didn’t register a small amount. I do this and it works for me pretty well. If you add a drop and the scale doesn’t change try blowing on it and then let the numbers settle back down. More often than not, this will get the scale to then show that small amount you just added.

4 Likes

lol I tried this already, the scale jumps into action and goes back to zero. After that it becomes insensitive again.
I’ve had some success if I do not press tare upon placing the bottle on the scale and if I go on and quickly add in drops of flavours it works most of the time.
I then tare and add in the bigger quantities such as PG and VG which can be done without being too delicate and the scale works just fine.

Some posted this on another thread.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to source information, really appreciate it.
This is the one I have currently. I think this starts its journey from China nameless and sold wholesale then gets branded along the way. It’s called Etekcity, Idaodin and some other names.

1 Like

Hate to admit it but looks just like the one I bought off amazon for double the price. But mine works good though.

Bummer! :frowning:

1 Like

@greazedlightning
This one should work well…
The problem with getting scales in the UK is they don’t want to ship/sell them with a power cord adapter [which helps by keeping the scale from auto-shutdown]
The problem with most battery operated scales is they auto-shutdown in 45 seconds.

This scale is only $13.19 USD [$8.99 to you] and free shipping…and it stays on for 3 minutes before auto-shutdown.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-500gx0-01g-Kitchen-Stainless-Resolution/dp/B01ET67D2I/ref=sr_1_113?ie=UTF8&qid=1466446129&sr=8-113-spons&keywords=kitchen+scales&psc=1&smid=A2VAVN6KK9G9JN

1 Like

Yep, this is the one I have (with a different brand name), 'think I’ll live with this until I can get my hands on the American Weigh scale which is popular among many here.
One good feature on this is that the auto-power off can be turned off. This is done by giving Tare button a long press and cycle through 60, 120, 180 , 0 and press the power button when you have 0 on the display.

1 Like

1000x THIS!!!
The single best recommendation (and advice that I received as well), is to get to know each individual flavor by itself! As only then, will you get to know what the properties are of that flavor, then you can start to (not only ID what flavors are in what retail liquids that you like, but) also get an idea of how it will interact with the other flavors you have!

I kind of had to work backwards for a short bit (due to lack of funds) and had to “mix by recipe” without knowing what to expect strictly to have something to vape while I’ve been testing single flavors in between. I’ve almost gone exclusively to solo flavors for the past week or two, just to be able to better ID not only which one’s I like, but which one’s are responsible for things I don’t like: throat hit, flavors that ‘agitate my system’ (scratchy throat from a particular brand’s Orange for example) etc.

Not to mention, that when I have several single flavors around, once I get a good feel for that particular one (I typically do 15ml single flavor tests for just this reason), I then can mix with another one to see how they interact!
EG: Waffle (at 6% single flavor) mixed with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (at 6% single flavor).

Voila. Instant recipe (sometimes) during the testing process! It happens more often as you progress!

Best of luck, and have patience, but most of all, Welcome!!!

2 Likes

I still do testing on new single flavors. How else would I know what to expect when putting it into a complex recipe.
My juice is not in Vegas, I’m not gonna gamble with it hoping it’s good.

1 Like

Sounds a lot like me. I am on another forum and they had a long running contest. Some of the entrants got into a discussion about DIY so I started asking questions 10,000 posts later I had a pretty good handle on it I think. So I ordered a small amount of flavors and some a little nic, went kinda overboard on the VG. I got the two gallon special at Essential Depot. Some of the people I was talking to sent me some castoffs and went through them and picked a bunch that I thought I’d use and sent them on to someone else that want/needed some. while waiting for the stuff I ordered I played around and came up with some ideas and from there I’ve been goin nuts with it.

2 Likes

LOL@JuiceGambling
-That post was primarily for @_Lollibear …but quoted you because I couldn’t agree more about the “test single flavors” aspect :slight_smile:

1 Like