Influenza outbreak 1/25/2018

When I was working for COE we always had to get the shot, every year I would get the flu. I have not had a flu shot in many years and I do get sick but not always. About 30% of the people I see in public areas right now are wearing the paper masks, and I keep one with me so if I feel i need it I can put it on. It’s important to know this virus is transmitted airborne, which means even being in the same room as an infected person and you can get it, even if they do not sneeze or cough on you. I just hold my breath when I leave the house :alien:

2 Likes

Daughter, and my two sons have flu and strep throat. I only have Strep throat…for now. Around $400 dollars of copays for doctors appointments and medicine we are hopefully on the way to recovery.The wifey is well thankfully. We jokingly told her she was the host since she was well. I feel ya @CosmicTruth. This years outbreak is bad. Doc I talked to said the shot was %10 at Best. I also was told that companies who produce the vaccine also produce the Thamiflu. I cannot confirm that, but makes sense. Everyone try to stay well​:mask::mask::mask:

4 Likes

Speak up I can’t quite hear you.

4 Likes

No kidding. My dad and a bunch of my extended family (as well as TONS of my friends) have come down with it this year and it hasn’t been uncommon for it to last weeks.
Thankfully this year my immediate family hasn’t come down with it (knock on wood) but my treatment protocol is always the same when we do get it and it usually seems to kick it to the curb in just a few days. One high dose (1000mg for kids and 3000mg for adults) of vitamin c in the form ascorbic acid as soon as symptoms start, and then 500mg kids/1000mg adults every hour throughout the day along with colloidal silver and raw garlic (cut it into small pieces and swallow them like a pill) 2-3 times per day. Its like magic. Usually when I catch it fast and start this protocol right away, fever will break within 24 hours and you’ll start feeling much better. Here’s a little study on vit c flu treatment for anyone who’s interested:

8 Likes

Interesting solution ! I would always take 5000mg of vitamin C when I first start feeling anything, but only do 5000mg / day, not 1000mg / hour afterwards…
Never ever heard of the garlic thing. I’m game, and will try this if I get the flu.
Where do you get colloidal silver ? Doesn’t it turn you blue, like literally blue ? And how much of it ?

Funny thing is that I hardly ever get colds or flu. 3 weeks ago I got a cold, but it was the first one since “I don’t know when”.

2 Likes

I usually get it at the Vitamin Shoppe, but any health store or the like (GNC, etc.) should carry it. I take the dose listed on the bottle. And no, it won’t turn you blue unless you take massively huge quantities for an extended amount of time. :wink:

4 Likes

Luckily I’m young enough for this stuff to not affect me… :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Haha lucky you, baby Grubby!

4 Likes

YES YES YES YES!!!
People do not realize how vital Vitamin D is to the immune system. It’s more of a hormone than vitamin and is SUPER important to the immune system! Vitamin D will actually shorten the length of URI’s and flu symptoms.

7 Likes

Vitamin D doses are recommended at 50,000 IUs, three times a day for no more than 5 days. :wink:

5 Likes

I’ve had the flu before and it is miserable. Have not been deeply afflicted since I stopped smoking, thankfully. But I have had mild symptoms of it for a few weeks now. Has not gone full-blown, and I’m hoping my immune system continues to keep up with it. Just lagging, a bit achy, lacking appetite (that’s big for me). The usual stuff you associate with the flu, just not anything heavy duty yet. Ack, winter.

2 Likes

My grandtwins and I got our flu shot in Oct, yet just before xmas break, we three came down with it I think. At first I thought it was some random thing because the only sinus issue was a dry cough for two days prior and the day of a runny nose. By evening I thought here we go… The twins seemed to run through it almost like a 48 hr bug. Maybe because I’m 49 it hit me a little harder? 3 days of intense body aches plus the first night of yuck. 5 days down in total.

Tulsa is getting hit I think, OKC not as bad. I’ve considered the mask and using my ATM card only with a wet wipe upon being handed it back or touching key pads. I heard on the radio them saying that a strain or two(?) had multiple mutations or something? I had hoped it would peak during the holiday break, didn’t happen.

2 Likes

My husband and daughter have been sick and I have been “under the weather” Husband and I are 41 and 40, daughter is 12.
First my daughter came down with it last weekend with dry cough and fever, she is coughing her ass off even now. The fever coughing and sinus issues got worse during the week. She has missed this whole week of school!
Husband came down with it the day after she did and was much better in around 24 hours, but had a relapse last night and has a bit of a cough.
I started feeling shitty with some sinus trouble and chills on the evening that my husbamd came down with it, but just generally feel shitty but not even full blown sick.
They both usually get sick 5 times to my one anyway. IDK why that is but I feel lucky.

We lost a co worker at Walmart a couple weeks ago to complications of flu. Pam was not very old and didn’t appear frail. She might have been in her 50s or early 60s, I never asked. It was quite the shock. I feel for her family and friends. She was just someone I smiled at and waved to and I only spoke to her for a minute or 3 a couple times.

1 Like

It’s a good thing I’m a germiphobe by nature.

2 Likes

It was over here just before Xmas, knocked me flat for over a week, never felt anything like that before it was horrific…terrible business :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Shelby county is getting hammered with the flu right now. Not to mention a Hep C outbreak due to a Pizza place whose workers are serving food with open sores!!! :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I thought Hep C was blood to blood! That is scary!

2 Likes

That is terrible. Hepatitis ain’t no joke. Lost my Dad to liver failure from Hepatitis C that was not treated correctly.

1 Like

My mom had it too but it was pretty much under control until the lung cancer. My best friend was battling with that for years before the lung cancer put an end to it as well. I know it is a liver disease, but they had the worst of luck I suppose. It is a terrible disease. I knew/know quite a few people with that.
Sorry to anyone who got it and especially if it was from food! WTF?

It’s so sad. Hep C is completely treatable and curable, but insurance won’t cover the meds unless you’re symptomatic. :rage:

I HATE INSURANCE!!!

2 Likes