Issue with homemade Claptons

I just recently began doing my own Clapton’s using the basic clothespin rig. It works well but I have noticed that, after I release it from the swivel and trim the ends, the wrap wire feels like I could slip it off the core with little effort. I can compress it lengthwise back on the core but I’m pretty sure that’s not ideal. My sense is it’s a tension issue but if I apply any more it might bend the wire. Any advice from our Clapton builders here?

BTW, I searched the forum for similar topics but the one I found I don’t think applies to this issue.

3 Likes

I’d say add tension to the core wire so u can apply a bit more tension to the outter wire. If u still can’t get a result you’re happy with u could do 2 things.

1. try using a smaller gauge core wire like 26g or 28g and twist 2 equal lengths creating a twisted core wire, clapton over that and the ripples in the core wire will hold your outter wire in place. Here’s a fresh set inbuilt this morning coincidentally.

2. If all else fails (not sure wut your vape budget looks like but) u could pick up the avidartisan daedalus. Check out some reviews on YouTube if you’re not familiar. I picked one up and it’s a handy little device! Hope this helps brother!:metal:t2:

5 Likes

You should always have tension on the line when you are making the clapton to get it nice and tight. WHen you reach the end, go backward over your claptoned wite for a1/4 inch so it doesn’t slip off

Or look up DIY ClaptonJigs on youtube… I use the one with the cloth hanger/pin which works great. The button one is great for spaced claptons… there is even avidartisan daedalus which work just as good without paying the 80 bucks which i dont have for such a jig… but ya, nothing quite beats the cloth hanger one…

Ive made all these, third one is prob the coolest but all work flawlessly and wrap it nice and tight.

8 Likes

3fvape.com has them for around $40 I believe. I got mine awhile ago during a sale going on and only paid $32 so I couldn’t resist lol. All those diy methods do work great tho and I’d agree with the clothes pin👍🏻

1 Like

I just hold the spool right on the holes in the center between my thumb and middle finger. Apply a decent amount of pressure. It also helps to run back over the clapton a few times when u reach the end to help lock it into place. Hope this helps, good luck

3 Likes

I gotta try that tamer trick.

3 Likes

This one is simple and cheap. It goes waaay back, but still works great…

Some results

5 Likes

Thanx everyone for responding! I’m going to spend my Sunday dialing-in the technique. Hopefully I won’t trash too many feet/yards/meters of wire!
I’ll post an update once/if I’m successful. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Just wanted to throw out a quick follow up. After ruining almost 50ft of 32g wire I finally made some progress. My problem the whole time was the shitty swivel I used. I replaced it with a ball-bearing swivel, which allowed me to apply a bit more tension to the core wire. Yay me!!

Fused 316L 26g cores x 32g wrap. Will prolly use 34g next time.

12 Likes

Pretty clean looking brother!

2 Likes

:+1: Thanx.

1 Like

sweet work man, glad you nailed it :wink:

2 Likes

Thanx. Yeah, finally popped my cherry!

5 Likes

Building is super fun brother and saves a shit ton of money once u get the hang of it too :ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

Congratulations on your first successful Claptons.

But for future builds I will highly recommend that you use 36g or even thinner wrap wire. 32g might be good for learning the technique, but you don’t get very good performing claptons out of it.

2 Likes

@IzNoGoat Way to lend support. Congrats but what you made is shit.

@TorturedZen well done mate take baby steps work your way through it slowly there is nothing wrong with 32 wrap step to thinner gauge if you feel you need to.

5 Likes

I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, if that is how it came out I apologize.
I was just trying to add some advice on where he should go next.

1 Like

Congrats @TorturedZen

http://recipegreat.com/images/popped-cherry-02.jpg

6 Likes

Yes yes, and MO yes.

5 Likes

Thanx for the advice. I do plan on getting some 36g and thinner. The 32g I used was, like you said, for learning and dialing in the technique.

BTW who’s got the best pricing/quality on 316L wire? Got a coupla spools from Lightening and really have no complaints.

3 Likes