Joyetech Exceed Edge Review by Amber

Joyetech Exceed Edge Review

Inspired by the Race Car? I think not. My husband actually found that the shape of the Exceed Edge was incredibly close to, get this, our Personal Hair Trimmer! Like a pair of hair clippers, just smaller. The body shape is pretty much identical. Regardless of its groom-a-rific shape, the Exceed Edge is pretty darn sleek. The color options for the metal body of the Edge are really quite nice looking. The Exceed Edge was provided to me from Joyetech for the purpose of this review.

Spec-a-Roos

• Size: 26.5110.020.0mm
  • Weight: 74.0g
  • Colors: Black, Orange, Yellow, Red, Silver, Dazzling
  • Output mode: Direct output
  • Cartridge capacity: 2.0ml
  • Battery capacity: 650mAh
  • Atomizer head: EX 1.2ohm MTL Head
  • Max Output Wattage: 25W

The Exceed Edge is a small, Pod-style device meant to be compatible with Nicotine Salt E-liquid and higher Nicotine Mixes. What sets the Edge apart is that the Coil Heads are replaceable. While it has a cartridge insert, all you need to do it put a new coil in and fill up. The coils used are the same MTL option used in the Exceed D22 Atomizer. The Edge is based around simplicity and convenience, and being refillable just makes it a breeze to use.

Aesthetics
The body of the Edge is really smooth and with a bright and glossy-style paint. It is definitely a bit heftier than you would think by just looking at it. I do really enjoy what Joyetech has been doing lately with the larger firing buttons, and I find them much more pleasant to use. The only real branding is on the firing button itself, not excessively done at all. The firing button covers a good portion of the Edge, and is a little over 2 inches long. The battery indicator light is at the base of the Edge, and lets the user know what the level is based on the speed of the flashes. The curves and paint of the Edge seem to just scream masculinity, which I appreciate. We have too many dinky looking starter devices already without adding another into the fold.

Functionality
Normal 5 Clicks On/Off. The Battery Indicator will stay solid after firing if the battery is full, flash slowly if the battery is halfway depleted, and will flash quickly when it hits 29% or lower. It will flash increasingly in frequency when it hits 9% or lower. I actually love the way the Exceed Edge works, even though it is not my style of vaping at all. The flavor from the EX 1.2ohm coils are very pure and clean tasting, and I already liked the using them in the D22 Atomizer.
Filling the Exceed Edge is easy-peasy. I have to admit, I sat and stared at that opening for a while and wondered how in the world I was going to fill it. I happened to have a curved syringe (plastic tip) that filled it quite nicely, but it shouldn’t come to that, should it? I tried filling it again, only this time I actually tried my glass dropper and it fit perfectly! To work properly, you just need to hold it straight up as you fill to get the most in, it’s that easy.

My Thoughts
I already plan on buying a few of these. Why? I don’t really know, but I know I like the Edge a lot. It doesn’t satisfy that warm, moist vapor that I get from using an RDA and dual battery device, but it is convenient with pretty good flavor. The EX coils seem to have no break-in flavor (yuckers) at all, in fact I wish I knew the cotton used so that I could use it in my RDA. Even family members that usually vape high wattage have really enjoyed the Edge as well. I think I even prefer this over the eGo ECO, the EX coils are far superior in flavor. I actually love the thing, it is fantastic.

Some of the Pod Devices I have come across don’t really seem to offer an advantage other than they come with pre-filled cartridges. That may appeal to some, but I would not want to be held back by only a handful of flavor options. The price is certainly another factor. Here is an example:

Brand A Device (without Cartridge) $27.99
Brand A Cartridges (4 Pack, 1.5ml) $19.99

Exceed Edge Device (Comes with 2 Coils) $23-25
EX 1.2ohm Coils (5 Pack) $9-11.99

That’s a pretty big difference when we are talking about a few ml’s of E-liquid. At almost $10 more for Cartridges than Coils, I cannot really see the upside or convenience of using them.

I do have two tiny things I would change with the Exceed Edge. Not major things, but things nonetheless.

1. 650 mAh goes pretty fast. I have noticed using it throughout the day that after a full charge, it goes from solid to blinking after about 3 uses. Even the ATOPACK PENGUIN had a 2000 mAh battery, and the Edge would have benefited greatly from just a little more capacity.

2. I would love to see the Exceed Edge as a 30W device. I think the EX coils would benefit from a few more watts, and also be able to reach their full potential in terms of flavor.

My only other qualm with the Edge is the button is easily pressed. After carrying in my pocket throughout the day, I realized I had turned the device off, not once, but twice. This was probably from leaning against counters, or some other form of pressure. The Exceed Edge needs to be positioned carefully for the button not to get depressed accidentally. Otherwise, I love it. It is a fantastic device that offers great flavor, and convenient refilling. If you have a friend or family member that wants to start vaping, the Exceed Edge is a stellar choice.

Thanks for Reading!

Click Here for the Joyetech Exceed Product Page!

14 Likes

Oh thanks for reminding me, I need to trim my nose hairs!. Thanks for the great review.

4 Likes

Literally all I can see when I look at the pics now :rofl:

Thanks for a great review!

4 Likes

Great review @Silhouette! :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks y’all. :wink: I swear I should have taken a side-by-side of them. I kept thinking, this thing is so familiar, but why? Ha

5 Likes

Another grate review! Thanks for doing this. Looks really convenient.

3 Likes

Great review @Silhouette thanks.
I’m sure that this type of kit will be very useful in getting people off the stinkies.

2 Likes

Good review! Great pics

1 Like

thanks for the review. I have my eye on one of these and will pick one up when they become available (most places have them as pre-orders to ship mid to late April). Question on the coils… They take the Exceed Ex 22 1.2 ohm MTL coils. There is also a .5ohm ETL Exceed 22 coil available. Have you tried that coil in the device and if so did it work well?

1 Like

I was actually curious about that as well, and wasn’t quite sure if the Edge could handle ohms that low due to the battery capacity being what it is. I have already posed the question to Joyetech and am waiting on their response though. :wink: Even if it could use the 0.5ohm, I think the air inlet hole being as small as it is would still restrict the airflow.

1 Like

Good review @Silhouette! I am getting more and more excited about these new low power devices because they last so long on a single charge. I have mixed up some high nicotine salt e-liquid and they are really enjoyable expecially around 27mg :smile:. I’m not by default a MTL vaper either, but I’m learning :smile:.
There are a couple of giveaways here on ELR to get one of these, but at the price you can buy 3 for about what a large mod costs.

1 Like

thanks for that. if you do find out and also try it out, please post an update. I would have no use for the coils other than using them in the edge. much appreciated. one last thing I’ve been trying to get an answer on. how does the airflow compare to the Aspire Breeze? I’m a rebuildable guy, but I’ve been looking for the perfect on the go, stealth set up. I’m hoping this might be the one. I like the breeze (with both the .6 and 1.2 coil) but would love something with a little more airflow (which I do get sort of defeats the purpose for a stealth set up - but it would also be an out and about set up)

I asked that question and was told:
“can’t use Edge is MTL pod”.
There is no doubt it would screw in and probably fire, but there may be leaking issues or other reasons it is not suggested.

thanks for that. I thought it might have been like the Breeze where you can use a .6 or 1.2 coil. As it turns out I prefer the 1.2 for the Breeze due to battery life. thanks again for the follow up - greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Nice read thanks for the review!

I sent the question to Ella, so will probably get an answer back sometime soon, she is really good about any questions or concerns, and such a splendid person to deal with. I do know the Atopack Dolphin could use a 0.25ohm Coil, but the battery capacity was a bit higher than the Exceed Edge. You know, I think I like the 1.2 ohm Coil Heads better in the Edge than the D22 Atomizer anyway. I think the flavor is much better with the higher ohm coils in the Edge, while I much prefer the DL coils in the Exceed D22, mainly for the airflow options.

1 Like

Hey, so I was told it was not recommended to use the 0.5 EX Coil Heads. They may very well work in the device, but it wouldn’t give you any advantage. The Air Inlet is already so small that it wouldn’t make a difference in airflow either way. Hope that helps. :wink:

1 Like

Hi. yes that does help. I know it’s meant to be a MTL AIO, but was wondering if I’d be able to make it a bit more airy. doesn’t seem possible. either way it’s so sleek looking that I will pick one up - just because.

1 Like

Ok so I did get an Exceed Edge. It’s a pretty good device but it didn’t make it into my favorites group.

1. filling it, at least for me, is a messy ordeal unless I use a needle tip bottle. Every “standard” 30ml plastic bottle I tried ended up getting juice all over the place - there is no way for the air to escape. I took the little plastic plug out once and that worked great since the air could escape out of the other hole - but it took me a full ten minutes to get the plug back in - that smaller side of the plug just didn’t want to get back in. Ended up dumping the juice I just put in it too so I could muck around with it properly. Still the needle tip bottle works perfectly every time so I have a dedicated juice bottle for the Edge.

2. It just doesn’t hit as hard as some of my other pods. There is no fix for this. I agree with you 100% - this would have been a much better pod as a 30W device.

3. I bought a 5 pack of coils and a 5 pack of the pods/tanks. All the pods/tanks are fine. 2 of my coils were DOA - wouldn’t fire.

4. I use it mostly in my home office. Again, I agree 100% - 650mAh goes fast. not too big of a deal since I have plenty of stuff at home and it charges fairly quickly.

On the positive side no other pod feels quite as good in the hand. the fire button is absolute perfection. the mouthpiece is REALLY comfortable and probably my favorite of all my pods. It is among my most stealthy pods so it will certainly see plenty of use.

In the end I’ve tried 5 pod system (I will only use open systems): Mi Pod, Exceed Edge, Kimsun slim 2R, Aspire Breeze and Breeze 2. For me Aspire is the clear winner. The Breeze 2 has a few changes which greatly improved functionality. Both Breeze 1 & 2 give a more satisfying vape than any of the others.

I feel like some of these may be going backwards, and lower in power. The Exceed is pretty comfy for someone looking to quit smoking, but some of these devices just don’t have the output to be totally satisfying. I’m sorry you got some bad coils, that sucks. I’d love to get the Breeze for my mom if it gives a more satisfying hit though.

I love that you could compare these, as I don’t use Pod vapes, so that is pretty cool of you. :+1: