Just a plug, to begin mixing by weight!

That’s useful! :smiley: Thanks @wurzle! I might write my own scraper - so it will be constantly updated :smiley:

I am actually thinking of contacting TPA and other manufacturers, see if they can provide me with a “live” list of flavorings and info regarding them - That would be incredibly useful to us as DIY’ers, and to them, because we buy their stuff! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, if you want to go the specific gravity route:
TFA

[Capella][2]
[2]: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2kqwow/list_of_capella_flavors_and_their_weight/

[FA][3]
[3]: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2jh5cl/byweight_mixers_i_got_some_densities_from/

2 Likes

It took me a while (and a feedback form to you) to figure out how to switch it a while back. I remember reading it somewhere that you could use grams on the ELR, but never found directions. Maybe add it into the FAQ…

As far as mixing by weight goes, its by far the best way IMO!

2 Likes

Mixing by weight was my first choice for starting DIY. And using disposable pipettes. I didn’t want to deal with all the beakers test tubes having syringes around, counting drops and cleaning that goes along with it.
Everyone has their own preference but this one is mine. I can make one recipe and move on to the next one quick and easy. Close the lid on my scale, toss out the pipettes and I’m done.
Anyone that’s looking for a scale I can recommend this one. It’s what I use.

It has AC and DC so when you mix plugged in you won’t have the auto off happen in the middle of your mix.
Comes included with calibration weights to keep your measurements spot on. It’s very simple to calibrate.
Measures in 1/100 of a gram that you need for DIY.
I got mine off eBay because amazon was out of stock at the time. Delivered in 3 days free shipping.

2 Likes

It would be nice if ELR had the specified weights automatically linked with the flavors. I know they have the msds sheets but we still have to manually enter the weight.

Just go to users in the upper right corner and click…
in the drop down menu select preferences…
check the box for use manufacturers specific gravities.

4 Likes

Hi. Thank you. But I already checked that box. I still have to manually enter the weight from the msds sheet. The weight box is always blank. Thanks for the feedback though.

If you use this format, “Brown Sugar (TPA)” it will automatically adjust the weight for you. Unless you just want see it in your notes.

Generally, if there is MSDS, there is also weight - the weight is also visible on the flavor details page. If you’ve checked the “Use manufacturer specific gravities” they will be used where applicable :smile:

2 Likes

The image wouldn’t paste. I did make a brown sugar test recipe and it did change 1ml to 1.07g. So it is working. But my flavor notes are blank.
I have had to manually enter weights before that had specified weights on the msds sheet. That’s why I was thinking it wasn’t really calculating by weight automatically. Maybe they don’t have the database completely up to date. Thanks for showing me that.

1 Like

This format, “Brown Sugar (TPA)” is the most common on ELR Calculator. Using this format gives the max advantage of all the options on the site.

Yeah. That’s the format I’ve been using. It’s crazy all the duplicate flavors they have on ELR. I’ve seen as many as 5 of the same flavor from one manufacturer.
I wrote a suggestion to ELR a while back about this. Creating a separate space to enter or select a manufacturer that way the flavor name doesn’t get so garbled up and prevent all these duplicated flavors.
Would also help the what can I make feature pull up more recipes. If someone chose to do so and take a chance they could certainly try using marshmallow (fa) to take place of marshmallow (tfa).

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea. Things would be a lot more simple if every did it.

For sure :smile:. Would be nice to see all the flavor names cleaned up.
Would make adding flavors much easier. You could just look at (tfa) flavors when adding a (tfa) product. And not have 50 different manufacturers pop up.
They could put a new check box next to the eliminate single flavors box for co-mingle manufacturers to get more recipe suggestions if you choose to try a matching flavor from a manufacturer you don’t have yet with one you have. Chances are you would have most of the flavors in a recipe search like that because most of the flavor names are unique between manufacturers.

I’ve merged 24 different names into one flavor :slight_smile: I’m not even sure that’s my record :smiley:

I am going to fix the flavor name problems …eventually. It’s a daunting task. But it’s better than the sisyphean task of constantly merging duplicates (as I do now)…

4 Likes

It seems better lately. :smile:

By chance do you know of a list for FW flavors?

Ok, I feel like a noob! Question?

I’m now realizing I will have to add the weights to every flavor in every recipe. Big deal but doable over time. Here’s the real big deal though. I use mostly TFA and FW. Looking at the MSDS sheets of FW their weights are according to room temperature of 20 degrees C. and TFA is 22 degrees C. To make things even worst I blend in a room that probably averages 24 degrees C. That being said what do you guys that have been doing this for a while do about the differences in temperature including the temp you blend in?

Are you gonna tell me it’s close enough for government work?

1 Like

I’d say yes, unless your star sign is Gemini. If you are a Gemini, then eventually your head is going to explode thinking about the this issue, no matter what anybody says! ; )

1 Like

Agree with Jim. I don’t think the temp will make a whole heck of a lot of difference, especially since you mix in large volumes. There’s was a whole thread/discussion about people using the MSDS weights vs the 1g/ml for flavors. I think the conclusion was that it didn’t really matter that much. Guess it depends on how much it will bother you.

2 Likes