Just wanting some feedback here

Fortuntely we have @daath, the best site admin around. He takes care of the back births when they are brought to his attention. I dont understand it either, i am in this community to share the knowledge that i have gained over the years not to win some contest. I have so many recipes and share very few, i prefer to share information. I like to give people the knowledge to tailor make recipes to their palate as this is DIY. Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish… That is my perspective at least.

1 Like

I would like an option to filter out 5-star recipes with just one vote to be honest. I don’t get why people rate their own 5 stars at all, I do feel it’s just to highlight them from the rest. People are a little defensive over other’s opinion on that it seems, which is why I think a filter wouldn’t be a bad idea to suit everyone.

1 Like

Why did you rate a couple of your own recipes 5s then? Is it because you really enjoy them? It is why i have done so, local customers and family enjoy them too. Should recipes rated 4 by the creator be filtered to? What about 3*?

As i said before it is more about the mixer than the recipe, if you know the mixer then the recipe should be pretty solid. If not you take a chance.

3 Likes

To be honest I don’t remember doing it, I’m new to the site and was arsing about with settings. I’ll fix that now .If they were rated by me that is. [edit] seems you cannot take it away, I have tried, refreshed, and it stays the same, that should probably be looked at, I actually don’t want my ratings on my own recipes, if I made them public I know I’d make them again] I have a bunch of recipes still private, because they are still either steeping away, or I don’t feel I’ve nailed them just yet. Anything I made public, IMHO, is good to go and be tried by others. I think the issue with the rating yourself thing is, that everyone is just automatically doing it to every recipe they make public. Like you suggested earlier, they should at least add notes or comments. But I’ve seen single flavour liquids out out with 5 stars, no comments, no notes, nothing.

What does it matter if you can filter 1-5 star single rated recipes? It would be personal choice. You’d just have more control, and of course you could choose not to use the filter.

1 Like

One thing I see about the whole rating issue is that many of the mixes often take weeks to steep until they come out as they should. While often many of the reviews will say things like, “… tasted good right off the bat and if there is any left in a few weeks I bet it will be great…” type comments, did the people rate it right after they mixed or later after it steeped? Additionally I can’t tell you how many juices I purchased over the years (when I use to buy juice), that I tried in the shops then took it home (or to my hotel) only to realize that after sitting and actually vaping on it, it tasted pretty rotten (or weak, or perfumy). If someone wants an honest review of something it can take weeks from when it’s been mixed to try it out, and if your using a tank, and dropping one juice on to another, you have to allow for the previous juice to get cleaned out before the next juice comes thru cleanly… or be spending tons on fresh coils.
Bottom line for me, is that I don’t see a problem with someone rating their own recipe that has taken the time to mix and test the results, how else are others going to decide if it’s good? I currently have a large bottle of Cream n a lil Honey steeping, but was given some to try from another user. The sample I was given (at least to me) has a strong floral background note, if I were to rate it I would be doing so at a 2 star, I’m hoping that there was something mislabeled or possibly bottled incorrectly, I would hate for the 120ml bottle I made to have the same taste when it’s ready to vape lol… BUT if it is good as many posters has rated it to be I’ll be happy and I would rate it according to how my batch turned out. The same would be with the Moon Butter I’ve mixed, a week or so ago, if I were to rate it now it would be a good 4-5 star but again… using a tank and vaping other things, it takes a good amount of time to make a honest call on it, not a quick hit and say it was good or bad.

2 Likes

I find it really interesting that people interpret the rating system so differently.
It wasnt until the “Why the hell the fuck…” guy asked the question a month or 2 ago that I actually considered the different perceptions. Since it was pointed out then, & again today (by the way, thanks for starting this thread @DanHank), I do appreciate the confusion.[quote=“BoyHowdy, post:14, topic:54600”]
Some people will not make a recipe public until they feel it is a five star mix.
[/quote]

Yep, thats me!
I’ve only posted a handful of recipes & I’ve rated each one a 5. Not because I’m high-fiving my self, but because (subjectivity aside) I believe the recipe to be worthy of someone else going to the trouble of mixing it, & if they do there’s a good chance they’ll enjoy it. When I’m looking at the recipes of others, I’ve used the stars as a guide in the same way.
There are a HEAP of recipes put up with no stars & no comment from the creator. Whats the point in that?? That only tells me they dont give a shit about their mix. Thats my perception. There was a time (not that long ago) when I thought I’d only be wasting my time opening them, so I didnt. Nor would I look at recipes with any less than 5 stars (unless I was familiar with the creator), because why the hell would I want to mix a juice that was under par. Now that I’m becoming more competent at mixing, & better at recognizing a good flavor profile, I’ll consider looking at a recipe if it has less than 5 stars, but it has to have an alluring name, or, at the very least, a comment from the creator. No comment - no looking!
I will continue to rate whatever I put up 5 stars because I believe in it - I’ve mixed it well & steeped it true. If someone mixes it …according to all the instructions…including the steep time… & doesnt like it, then they can down-grade it. But, as has been suggested, they should have to comment.
While I’m comfortable in my own head with how things are, & how I’m doing it (ratings wise), I think a standardized rating system, one that doesnt allow for individual interpretation of the system would be very helpful. Perhaps a home page, or cover page before you go into the recipes that explains the rating system (among other things) would be good …& on a recipe page, perhaps 2 rows of stars - 1 for the creator & 1 for the community.

1 Like

Good points @CallMeTut !
Wouldnt it be cool if there was a way of not allowing any one else to rate your recipe until after the steep time? Just dreaming now!

While a quick answer would be to say yes, I’m vaping a number of different juices right now, that haven’t met there “proper steep time” so to speak… “Shroom’s OMG Sauce”, “Bust-a-Nut”, “Pistachio RY4-U” and I’m already thinking of rating them after a week but will most likely wait a another week, but not the month they should be sitting. I am most likely like many on this forum though, I mix and vape but don’t go back and rate (I think I have only actually rated 1 or 2), I think it has to do with me thinking on the terms of “what right do I have to rate this…” mentality. You’d think after vaping for 5 or 6 years I could/would have enough confidence in myself to say I do or don’t like a specif thing or not, but I am an honest person, and I critiqued things all my life, it’s not that I am tough or picky, but understand that while some people love anchovies why should I say to others… don’t try them… lol.
As a sidenote, none of those above recipes tastes like anchovies although something that also needs to be considered when people are mixing is the actual nic being used and if it is instilling a taste, something I’m playing with now.

2 Likes

FTick tock the mouse ran around the clock. Not sure where I was going with that.
I believe people should be able to rate there recipie 5 Stars. It only one vote…all the rest has been said…

Humbely, I would say it’s up to us to read and research. Pick a recipie. Read the comments. Research the flavors used. And be realistic. Sure, we all have ran across those odd 5 star ratings where is was a 10% zen garden FA mix. But you write that off as a non relevant post for the public. Maybe for that person it was amazeballs…and somewhere out there wishing upon a star someone else will love it too but would have never tried 10% without that post.

Really it comes down to us all rating the recipies we have tried to make the rating system better. If all “x” thousand members rated the mixes math would help to take care of most everything else. And if it does and mix came out bad I would blame my self.

1 Like

Ok, well, let me re-phrase it…
Wouldnt it be cool if there was a way of not allowing any one else to rate your recipe until a time you considered appropriate?

Yeah, well that does kinda throw a spanner in the works, doesn’t it?

I totally agree

3 Likes

I just had to quote this whole post man. Very well said. And I respect the opinion of someone that has vaped as long as you have. I can’t imagine how much juice you have tried in that amount of time. But honest criticism to me is better than being false and saying things you don’t mean. I am guilty of that myself in a way I guess. There have been a few recipes I have tried on here that I really didn’t like. And rather than leave a poor rating and comment I have simply moved on. Because I wouldn’t have made it if it weren’t said to be good by someone. And as we all know - taste varies from person to person. And even our individual tastes change from day to day. So I understand what you mean by “what right do I have to rate this…”. I personally don’t care much about the rating system outside of researching flavors. I just use that to find the best recipes with flavors I am using. I would rather everyone at least left comments though. Criticism can be very useful if given the right way. If everyone at least said what they liked/disliked about the flavors they experienced after vaping someone’s recipe you would have a lot more useful info when researching flavors. Maybe it is considered by many this flavor doesn’t pair well with that flavor, for example.

It’s like with foods. There are very few foods I cannot eat. But there are a lot that I don’t like as well as most people do. Like Oysters. My ex-wife (my divorce was over yesterday - damn I love saying that!) loved those damn things. I have tried them a number of times and have really tried to like them. But I just don’t get it I guess. I never told my ex-wife ( there it is again - woot!) I hated them. I never told her I thought they were nasty. I just ate a couple whenever we went out somewhere that served them or if she ordered them to see if maybe I would start to like them.

It is the same with art. Like music, entertainment, painting, sculpture, etc. I don’t believe there should be critics of art. Because every piece of art means something to the person who created it. But I guess once it becomes a public piece of artwork criticism is bound to happen. But with art, criticism isn’t going to change the way an artist paints a picture. It isn’t going to change a songwriter’s style of creating lyrics and music. To me art is something that should be experienced, and your feelings kept to yourself. I mean it’s ok to talk about a movie or a song. But to give opinion or to say it sucked or it was great - nobody cares but you.

Music is a really big one for me. I love nearly all genres because of having over 1000 cassettes as a small child of like 7 years old. My Mother worked at Columbia Records for 35 years (yeah, the cassette/CD club). All those cassettes and cds that got returned went to an employee sale held once a month in a warehouse space the size of a football field. Gaylords upon gaylords full of cassettes, records, music related T-shirts, memorabilia, collectables, etc. If Columbia Records sold it, it was there and there was enough of everything for most people to have 10. The people that were last in line got the scraps. I could buy as many cassettes as I wanted for like 10 cents each when they were selling in stores for probably $5-$10 each (guessing here because I don’t ever recall looking at music in stores). My paper route money bought me a LOT of music and music related memorabilia. Plus my father’s best friend ran the landfill a mile and a half away from us. Whenever Columbia Records decided to send a semi-truck load cassettes to the landfill, my Mother gave me a heads up. And my Father’s buddy had them dump the load where they were easy to get to, knowing my brother and I would be taking the trek across a set of train tracks built on the levee to get there. It was about a 100 ft climb up one side of the levee and down the other. Then through a creek, through some woods, and across a grassy, snake infested field. Just to go there and dig through a semi load full of cassettes. Half of which might be Bette Midler, and the other half Roy Orbison. But if you dug through the mountain of cassettes, you found some others mixed in. And you usually came home with well over 100 gems.

Sorry to go off on a tangent there. I just wanted to explain how a 7 year old kid had thousands and thousands of dollars worth of cassettes. And this whole story is just to explain how I look at and wish people gave criticism. Anyway, I listened to every cassette all the way through. I found a song I liked on every single cassette. And grew to love and appreciate music in a really big way. So when I hear someone say a song sucks, or a piece of art sucks it kinda bothers me. Because they should say “I don’t like it” instead. Because it didn’t suck to the person that created it. And it might not suck to the person they are telling that to. In fact, it might be that person’s favorite song, or play, or movie, or whatever. Criticism is great for just about anything if used correctly and given the right way. But for some things, criticism is best kept to yourself.

4 Likes

True, one thing I should have added to what I stated is that I don’t mind critiquing things and I know it is one of the best tools for people to learn. But using your music analogy, you (probably) don’t like all the songs you have all the time. If I vaped something just to critiqe it and I wasn’t in the the mood for that type of flavor at the time, I would most likely not give it a good review. But at the same time give a bad juice a good review just because I was more in the mood for it. I’m vaping a tank of a version of “Like a Sir” in one of the two tanks I have going right now, I actually think it sucks pretty bad, but I’m not normally one to dump a tank out unless it’s something that makes me cough (I had a lemonaide mix that did that to me). While on the onset I would rate it as a 2 star, I look at being critical on things not only for it’s taste but subjectiveness on if it is vapeable, if it really clashes in flavor, too weak or strong, true to what it was suppose to be, a lot of different aspects more than just “what I personally like”. Then I’m going to need to vape something in the same tank to clean out the old flavor before I can use it again, one of the reasons I’m still seeking a rba that I like, the griffin is looking good to me right now and I will most likely look at getting it. But like this Like a Sir juice, I’ll probably toss out a poor star rating on it ultimately, I’ve vaped it on and off for a month or two after mixing it back on January 10th. But I won’t say it sucks, it is vapeable, there is flavor, is it true to it’s form… not really, Is it clear in it’s taste… again not really, does it leave something to be desired as if missing the mark… yes. While I wouldn’t want to discourage others from making this same juice, I would discourage the thought for those wanting to make this juice in hopes of it being like the clone it was suppose to be. it’s just a just of flavor. To go back to your music analogy, it doesn’t compare to Milli Vanilli lip syncing their music, they at least knew what they were doing. I don’t mean to say that all criticizem needs to be constructive (i.e. constructive criticizem) when people vape my juice they don’t need to say why they don’t like it, You don’t need to say why you don’t like oysters… you just don’t like them lol (I love fried oysters and oyster soup!).

1 Like

I should have mentioned it is raw oysters I have yet to find a taste for. Fried oysters and oyster soup I love!

I am like you as far as hanging on to bad juice. I have about 10 bottles of juice in my closet I really don’t like. But I will still vape them at some point. I have probably only dumped 50ml of juice since I started mixing. If nothing else I mix them with other stuff and usually I can pair juices up and get something I like out of it. You can take 10ml of just about anything and hide it in 30ml of something else. I have had some good ideas come from that.

I hate clones. If I made a clone and I couldn’t tell the difference, then I would give it 5 stars. But if it wasn’t dead on I don’t think I would share it and call it a clone. I would much rather try to use a juice for inspiration and make my version of that. Kinda like the way a singer changes a song around. Or a guitarist plays different notes in a solo, but still in the same scale.

I hope people feel free to rate my recipes exactly as they would rate their own. I am not here to impress anyone with my “still new at this” mixing skills lol. I only share so others can enjoy, be inspired, or learn what not to do :slight_smile:

I know we had another thread on this same topic awhile back. What happened to that one? Anyway, good discussion. I hope to see people realize the ratings aren’t nearly as important as making a comment on a recipe, in my opinion anyway. What’s yours? :wink:

1 Like

Totally agree with you on the whole comment thing. I’d rather feedback than stars I may rate mine to remind myself I like this ! The comments make it worthwhile and I have met plenty ppl this way and lead them over here to the forum that otherwise may never of visited. I’m not looking to get accolades here I am very much like you said want to share if it tasted good I share it can mean you switch 1 ingredient and make something that I created that ok and your turns out to be my favorite. It happens and through us sharing we learn. I still learn all the time on here and through my mixing sessions.

I also feel very similar in the respect to tarnishing a perfect score there is some bigger name mixers that I just don’t like some of the mixes that are so popular and that’s ok, but I feel like I’d be a DB if I threw out the 3 stars or 4 stars I felt it deserved so I avoid rating…very weird we feel this way but that is the truth. I may not try a lot of ppl’s stuff but I do make time to try at least a few others once a month its what we do we share so why not try others right? Well then I have to rate it ek …Lucky I like most of what I make from others :wink: but I chose profiles that I would be into and not just by popularity.

btw I hate oysters and am allergic to all shelfish and that means Shrimp can not eat them =anaphylaxis

1 Like

I have only found a few of your recipes I can make miss flavor hoarder :wink:

I did however make your SB Cream Soda the other day. I get to test it as soon as I get an empty tank!

1 Like

I get told that all the time. I just tell ppl to adapt it I don’t mind if it taste good to you and you like it is all I care. My flavors must be oddball ones Bc most of the time no one has them.

The SB cream soda is that the FA one ? I think I’d wished the cream fresh were a tad weaker so the oba could shine thru a bit more but I liked it. Hopefully you will too.

Yeah, I made that one. I also adapted it and made a bottle and replaced the SB’s with Shisha SB, added a little TFA Champagne, changed the Meringue to Vienna, and added a little Shisha Vanilla. But I kept the Oba Oba the same :smiley:

I was actually trying to do a similar recipe after I found out Oba Oba tasted like cream soda. And then I stumbled onto your recipe and to my amazement I had every flavor. How could I not mix it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea you were the one I was talking to about it a while back. Yea the shisha’s are going to be great I bet !

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback, I am learning so much from you guys. I will definitely go rate and give feedback on mixes I try. I’m like a sponge learning from you all. Hopefully one day I can return all the help.

2 Likes