Kangertech Clapton OCC Coils .5ohm

So I’ve never had issues with these. Always order them from freedom smokes. Been using them exclusively for over six months (both webstore and kangertech coils).

I ordered another three packs a few weeks back. Just got into them, and they are lasting barely two days before they taste like burnt cotton every other pull. I’ve have had excellent luck since I started with these, they normally last me 1.5 weeks or more.

Has anyone run into this? Did i get a bad batch of coils? I’m going to try some from another box tonight in hopes it was a bad box. But i’m a bit worried about it, as I’ve read other posts regarding premade coils tasting like cotton recently (other brands).

This is pretty much the reason why most of us stopped buying them, bought an RBA deck and did it ourselves, coils can last months with regular re-wicking and cost pennies, and…it’s actually really easy to do :thumbsup:

1 Like

Yea, I have about five rba decks laying around from kanger starter kit purchases.

I am okay with spending the money on the coils. For the 12 bucks a pack of 5, they lasted me a month and a half. Less than two packs of smokes. I mix my own juice so i spend next to nothing there. I just enjoy the convenience of having a bunch on hand all the time, and no time spent.

So in short, I know that making your own is great and cheap and all, but i don’t mind paying for them. And never had a problem in the past with them.

Myfreedomsmokes basically told me to naff off, “we get complaints daily on all coils, its just the user’s fault”. I also posted on kanger’s forums inquiring, but have not gotten an answer.

All I want to know is if this is a common thing as of late with these coils (last order was back in august, i order 4-5 boxes at once normally). As noted a few times, i’ve never had issues with them in the past. Unsure if I should take my chances and order more, or find a new brand/style.

1 Like

right oh…I’ll be quiet then haha, sorry man for stating the obvious then, I had your trouble for months before I stopped buying them, Kanger stock coils do not have a good rep…like…at all, There is also a heck of a lot of fakes on the market which are even worse.

1 Like

Not to mention how much better flavour is when you make your own coils, and being able to tailor your build to the tank you are using at the time. Be it a simple round wire coils, twisted, claptons etc…

1 Like

and that ^…I think he knows though…:wink:

1 Like

I would say it’s a known issue with a lot of coils… I’m with @Pugs1970 and @DrChud… Dust off those rba’s and get to building lol. I do understand the convenience of pre made coils but I was tired of blowing a ton of money on them and only using them for 3 days or so… Plus I have two beautiful little ones that love spending daddy’s money lol but to each their own I don’t knock you for using pre mades at all…

2 Likes

Hey pugs, sorry to break it to you. you didn’t answer the question in your first response, 2nd yes he wasn’t being narcy.

Unfortunately you assumed, he then just explained that he has rba’s etc. How else could he of got back to the question?

I literally have no idea what you’re on about…

1 Like

Its mainly for convenience. I already sit down and mix juice once a month, approx 800ml’s a shot, that takes about 2-3 hours normally depending on which recipe I use (i vary between essentially 2).

If push comes to shove, I will start building my own. I feel like pre made juice is the price gouger of e cigs. I can burn through a 100ml bottle in a week (5ish bucks daily if I buy it and not mix, if I mix its approx .75 cents a day).

The premade coils, 12 bucks lasts me 1.5 months. That’s pretty low cost per day of usage ( about .35 cents daily last time i averaged). But … if I continue to have issues, then cost per day skyrockets.

Yes, allot of math, but I feel that i’ve calculated it down to the T for the most part. And was okay with buying premades for convenience purposes.

So again, just looking to see if the quality of these coils are nosediving recently, as to avoid wasting more money. And also, to re-iterate I don’t mind that much building my own, but I have other things I’d rather do with my time, but if I have to, I will to keep costs reasonable. I actually built a couple rba decks when i got them, they were okay, and i’m sure with time the “time” spent making them would go down and quality up.

2 Likes

I know from the experience of my vape buddy’s at work who used to use the kanger coils up until recently, they went really bad, in the end they just gave up buying them, every other day they were complaining that they were only lasting a day, 2 at most, I don’t know if they were fake or if Kanger had changed their manufacturing process or what but this was only a couple of months ago. I bought them all an RBA and I sort their coils out for them, they are very grateful for that…although I do kinda wish they’d learn to do it themselves lol…but as one them said to me today after I re wicked his tsunami for him…and I quote…“I’d learn to do it myself, but you know what it’s like when you try and cut your own hair as apposed to going to the barber”…it was vague…but I knew what he meant lol

1 Like

@dieboy I used to use the .5 SSOCC’s in subtanks 20-30w heres what I found…

Check the coil unit before installation, check the legs arent hanging out the bottom and that the coil looks centered.

Prime the coil by dripping liquid on the side of the coil (the flow ports). Do this until the cotton is saturated.

Install the Coil and fill the tank… Wait… Wait a good 10mins… 5 mins if you want to dry pull / blow to get the liquid in there.

Fire at 20w for a short draw…
Check the liquid is going in to the coil (bubbles)…

Doing the above will allow you to make a better decision whether the coil is bad or not…

If you have already done the above then I dont know what else to try…

EDIT:

I used to buy my SSOCC’s from a reputable place here in the UK.
The SSOCC v2’s are the newest revision, vertical coils organic cotton.
Make sure your not buying the Stainless Steel ones.

These are the ones you want:
https://www.ukecigstore.com/kanger-v2-ssocc-replacement-coil-5-pack-0-5-ohm.html

Note the color of the band on the coil…

2 Likes

I actually dry suck for a few minutes until I see the bubbles (no firing, just suck on it for a bit). I do also “prime” every coil, juice in holes on side and inside the coil for good measure.

My watts never go above 22ish, so i start at 15 for a bit then ramp up to 20ish.

I’m starting to think from other posts and your input, quality has changed significantly.

I do believe I am receiving the red band coils, almost positive but i’ll have to check when i get home. And like i mentioned, i never had a problem with them in the past, so that’s what makes me wonder if something changed, or i just got a bad box.

1 Like

:smirk: (Immature I know…)

I never put liquid done the centre of the coil because it can cause a little flooding but its not gonna be the issue here.

Essentially, burning is the cotton NOT getting wet, so when you think about it, you just need to make sure liquid is getting in the sides of the coil, try making some pin pricks in the cotton on the side and see if that helps

That was exactly my thoughts on it, going to check the cotton when i get home tonight. Poke some pin pricks through it and see if it acts better. :slight_smile:
The cotton does look wet looking down it, but its hard to gauge with out taking it apart. I do get plenty of bubbles with these, as normal with ones in the past. Maybe i got a batch with cotton that was to tight/packed in there (heres hoping its that easy of a fix).

1 Like

yep…I agree…all you need is a little prick and a bloody good suck, works for me in most situations…:smirk:

3 Likes

It can also be the case that the outer cotton, the part you can see from the side is too tightly woven,

I dont know if you know but the cotton you can see is separate from the inner cotton, its like a sleeve of cotton… You can get a better idea here:

2 Likes

Red o-ring on the coil means the wire inside is NiChrome. Black o-ring the wire inside is Clapton (made of Kanthal), Blue o-ring the wire inside is Nickel (Ni200) FOR TEMP CONTROL ONLY! and finally Pink o-ring is 316L Stainless Steel.

Glad to see you are informed. This step is important. I see you understand them and their use.
There is a youTube vid on poking through the juice hole with a pin/needle, but I haven’t found it yet.

Are the juice holes the same diameter as the former ones? I only use the RBA’s , and they have
made the juice holes a smaller diameter recently.

1 Like

Okay so mine are black. I pulled it apart on break. So that is correct for clapton coils.

The juice holes actually got opened up in v2, they are larger than the v1’s. Noticeably.

I do have a good handle on it, been vaping for a few years now, and was taught the ins and outs by a friend, as i was overwhelmed when i first got into it and quit smoking.

I’ll dig around for the video, but it seems pretty straight forward. I kept a couple coils i recently had problems with, so i will use those to experiment with tonight.

1 Like

Thanks sir, i had not taken apart a premade before, so i wasn’t aware there are two layers of cotton.

1 Like