Kayfun 5 airflow/liquid control locked?

Worth a try!

6 Likes

Yup. You can try freezing it. After that try using a substance like wd40 or other like substance.

3 Likes

Your not far away keep at it. Like @Rob62 said freezing will contract the metal and o rings and it should break free.
How did you get it that tight in the first place? When it comes apart please donā€™t tighten everything so tight, it only needs to be leak proof. :yum:

2 Likes

Never thought of that. :ok_hand:[quote=ā€œChrispdx, post:42, topic:77228ā€]
wd40
[/quote]

2 Likes

If I was strong enough to screw it that tight, I should be strong enough to unscrew it!

Uh, yeah, Iā€™ll try to remember that. lol

4 Likes

Sometimes these problems come up due to manufacturers stacking tolerances on their dimensions.
Carbide inserts do wear and they use them longer than they should. It happens and it is a major headache, I gave up on two griffins after wasting a couple of hours. I would have been much better off throwing them away at the beginning of the ordeal but I hope @Mercury1 is able to save this one.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had it too with the griffin aswell and destroyed one in the process. Lol.
I know what you mean about the tool wear when machining. :+1:

4 Likes

It does happen from time to time.Your suggestions as well as @Rob62 @Chrispdx and @wvsanta have everything covered that I can possibly think of.
There is one product that works better than anything I have ever tried in my experience as far as helping to loosen stuck items.The problem is most local places donā€™t carry it and it is expensive to order.
Areo Kroil has saved me more times than once , it is marketed as the oil that creeps and that it does.
http://www.kanolabs.com/msn/

6 Likes

Hever heard of that product, looks like just the thing.
Wd40 has always been my choice and reassemble with copper slip, obviously not attyā€™s, but any mechanical jobs. :+1:

1 Like

Success! I put it in the freezer for the third time and sat it on top of an ice cube, used a leather strip and pliers and voila!!

Thanks for your help/support @Rob62 @Pattie @Chrispdx @wvsanta!!!

Once the wicks defrost and Iā€™m able to rebuild I will be VERY VERY VERY careful to make sure I lube the o rings AND not screw it on too tight.

I repeatā€¦

8 Likes

I donā€™t know the availability across the pond but you could probably get everything needed to make this and it is what I use on larger jobs because it is cheaper.
ATF , mineral spirits , Kerosene and acetone mixed into equal parts works great.
Glad you got it sorted @Mercury1 !

7 Likes

Way Cool glad you got it :+1: Was that a clone ?

4 Likes

No, the real McCoy. I bought a clone this afternoon though when I was convinced this would never come apart! Figured I would end up with half a clone using the cloned chimney and build deck with original everything else.

The airflow wasnā€™t quite right when I first put it back together - it was lifting but not turning but it seems to be working fine now. Hope it stays that way!

Question (assuming you own a KF5). After you lift up the airflow and turn, is it clicky when it turns or is it a smooth turn? Before this issue I seem to remember the turns were graduated for each stop but now it turns with no resistance whatsoever. Not sure if thatā€™s a sign of a problem solved or a symptom of another issue.

2 Likes

Yay!!! :yum:
Glad you got that all freed up. I bet your pleased after thet ordeal? Lol.
I own an authentic kayfun v5 and the arfc ring is smooth in operation, itā€™s not clicky.
Once you lift the ring it should turn nice and smoothly to where you want it.
Really pleased you got there in the end, nothing more frustrating. Now get some use out of it. :wink::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Yes I have the real McCoy K5 and a clone on the way. The air flow ring Should turn smoothly after you lift it up like @Pattie saidā€¦ again glad you got it fixed

2 Likes

I had the same problem, out of the box I could not separate the parts to access the deck, only after dumping the tank in the freezer for 3 hours, then immersing it in warm water and using teflon grips was I able to free the deck section from the chimney. I thought everything was OK.

But on my very first build with everything assembled, I set my preferred air flow, closed down the juice flow and filled the tank, when I tried to open up the juice flow control to vape, it was STUCK in the closed position. After much cursing I found the answer on another forum, the same solution given by x2 people earlier in this thread. Lube the two O rings that sit below the deck with ejuice before you assemble the tank. Iā€™m using the SXK Kayfun V5 clone, no problems after this.

6 Likes

A bit of lube makes all the difference. :wink:

6 Likes

I keep a unicorn bottle of pure VG with my coiling kit for lubing the O-rings shown it the picture @kevin_215 posted. The small tip on a unicorn bottle works great for applying a thin coat to the bottom one.

4 Likes
1 Like

All the reviews on YouTube say its like that Only with the clones, Not the authentic Kayfun 5. I have both ordered and will let you know for sure in a week or so.

1 Like