Koolada TPA

FA has their own version called Polar Blast which is nice also.

3 Likes

TPA Koolada uses the chemical compound koolada-3 while FA Polar Blast uses L-menthyl lactate and WS-3 (N-Ethyl-p-menthane-3-carboxamide).

I wonder what the differences are between the two in perception/ mouth-feel. I am sure neither have any taste but it is curious that the FA version doesn’t have any koolada in it. Unexpected.

2 Likes

The CAS number for what TPA calls “koolada-3” (at “>=10% and <50%”) refers to WS-3 - the same stuff that’s used at 7% in FA Polar Blast.

I’ve not seen L-menthyl lactate used in any other vaping ingredient but from the chemical formula I’d expect it to be another ‘super-freeze’-type compound.

No idea whereabouts you’re based but the cooling agent that’s popular in Europe right now is WS-23 (CAS 51115-67-4, C10 H12 N O).

4 Likes

it’s not a menthol… in small percentages (0 .5 - 1.0%) it just adds a cool fresh feeling in the taste…
although it doesn’t have a taste on it’s own…just careful to not don’t overuse (i would say… i would suggest not use over 1,5% MAX in any case)

when it’s overused usually mutes other flavors, while leaving a somewhat “slimy” taste… (i learnt that by the hard way) :stuck_out_tongue: lol
in general i would say not waiting to pop up other flavors as well like menthol does…
works great with fuits and beverages in general :slight_smile:

PS:
i haven’t tried to use any other koolada flavor than tpa b.t.w.
if you want to try kinda a different “mentholish” flavor i would say try “Wintergreen” by Tpa… (not sure if there is another company making that thing)

Hey Bath! Is the WS-23 molecularly similar to WS-3? I’m allergic to koolada and have been trying to find something similar but different, if that makes sense. :wink: Does the WS-23 have a brand name or somewhere that I could buy it over on this side of the big water to try it out?

All these cooling compounds look pretty close but I’ve no idea whether an allergy would be connected to a specific formula or everything that’s similar.

WS-3 - C13 H25 N O - TPA Koolada
WS-23 - C10 H12 N O - adds a ‘freeze-effect’ similar to some Malaysian juices
WS-5 - C15 H27 N O3 - a super-strength Koolada, I think

I’ve not found any brands for WS-23 although I think it’s the main constituent of SuperVape’s CyberFresh 2.0 which is available from several French retailers.

I believe that two UK retailers (DripHacks and Chefs Flavours) obtained their stocks from different chemical supply companies as it seems that they’re very different strengths / potencies - which, as you can imagine, poses ‘interesting’ problems for recipes!

There’s a chance that John Grefe of Congrevape has managed to track some down to do some taste-testing but probably your best bet is to hassle Kimberly at OSDIY to add a small quantity to her next one-shot order from Chefs…

2 Likes

Great idea. I didn’t realize she ordered from Chef’s. I love OSDIY and hate that I don’t buy from there more often. She’s great. :smiley:

I love a few of OSDIY’s blends - I’m vaping a concoction using Lotta Latte right now!

The admins from VHM kinda pushed the two retailers together from both sides of the Atlantic at the end of last year and I think sales are good at either end.

OSDIY are stocking a small selection of Chefs’ top-selling one-shots plus a couple of UK-made concentrates (including the delicious Devon Cream) not otherwise available in the States.

1 Like

I don’t know what it is but I know I quit using it and exclusively use Capella Cool Mint at about 5%. The menthol and koolada wreak havoc on coils and not awesome on the lungs if you vape heavy.

1 Like

Hi bv :slight_smile:
Bit of a necro, but may I ask how you knew that Polar Blast has 7% WS-3 / Menthol Carboxamide ?

They are listed as ingredients in an MSDS that appears to originate from FlavourArt Italy.

I can’t attach a pdf but this is a partial screen capture:
pdf

1 Like

I’m so bummed about this. I finally caved and bought the Polar Blast hoping it wasn’t the same as koolada. :frowning: I haven’t tried it yet so maybe I won’t have the same problems with it that I had with koolada. :confused:

If FA Polar Blast doesn’t agree with you, try some WS-23 (now available from ECX).

2 Likes

What I have read (i don’t remember right now where) is that Koolada actual is Menthol in PG warmed for several hours, that makes Menthol flavorless.

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to try that one as well. I’ll get around to it eventually, I just haven’t made an order with ECX in awhile. It’s on my shortlist though.

1 Like

I recently purchased one because the tp koolada wasn’t really giving me what I wanted. Just tried the ws-23 in a few recipes. I’ll review in a week.

1 Like

Haven’t tried polar blast or ws-23 yet, koolada is suppposed to be 2x stronger than regular menthol (so i heard)
i got 60ml of koolada and extreme ice so between the two, thats lasted me the past year and its as cold as i can handle it (or my wife who only vapes menthol/ice recipes)
Def a good additive though, if you like iced, as its cold with no flavor

I just tried a few of the mixes I had made with ws-23. It is fantastic. I got it from cigexpress. I think the only kind they have is a 30/70 (ws-23/pg). It is extremely cool. In terms of cool, they turned out exactly like the Malaysian ice ejuice. So if u liked the cool u got from Slow Blow by Nasty Juice or the Fantasi ice liquids, u will like ws-23.

Before I got ws-23, the koolada 10% wasn’t cutting it for me. I have used it up to 2%, but still wasn’t what I had in mind.

This time I put 0.5% koolada + 1.50% ws-23. The result was a bit too cool. I might drop the koolada altogether or reduce the ws-23 to 1%.

I would highly recommend the ws-23 30%.
Does not mute flavors for me. Use it @ 1.5% for very cool or a little less depending on how cool u want.

4 Likes

@JoJo
It might be a good time to order from ecigexpress before Jan 1st. The have a 20% off store wide with code NEWYEAR2018

1 Like

Bull city flavor now sells ws-23 30%

2 Likes