Lathe and CNC geekery - Driptips!

The blue and white one in the middle and the red and white one towards the right. Get at it. Just curious: ever entertained the idea of 5 for a hundred?

1 Like

I’ll think about that.

2 Likes

@bradslinux

Brad, I haven’t said much recently but I want to tell you that, although the Aromamizer RDTA was already my favorite rebuildable tank, once I got the acrylic drip tips you made the enjoyment factor went way up on them. They are such a pleasure to use thanks to your handy work. Thanks again brother.

5 Likes

I think about how good they are almost each time I take a drag :slight_smile: I love mine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks guys! You both are most welcome! I’m so very glad you are still enjoying them. Warms my heart. :slight_smile: Good to see you post SthrnMixer! I hope all is well and going good with your new position. I’m sure you are kicking ass and taking names!

2 Likes

Me too! Me too! :smiley: They are by far my favorites.

1 Like

The third from the left and the fourth blank from the right are awesome. How much do you charge?
That rack you made for your mods is so beautiful. Sold all of my wood working tools when we bought our new house, couldn’t afford a garage.

1 Like

Hi Cloyce, those are called “Grape Mesh and Lime Mesh” Both are very nice when finished. I charge $25.00 per drip tip. It is a 2 piece design with a black delrin insert that the o-ring grooves are cut on for standard 510 tips. For the Aromamizer, it is a perfect friction fit.

1 Like

I have Crown tanks at the moment if you build for those. I’ll contact you when I have the cash. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is a standard 510, and I can do a bit to taylor the fit to make it really nice on the Crown. No worries, just PM me when you are ready. I only make to order. No pre-made tips here.

2 Likes

Sounds good!

2 Likes

A friend of mine from Facebook made this for the metal top of my VCMT!!!

Howdy!!! Hillbilly here also!!! Mountains of Western North Carolina!!!
What kind of lathe do you use???
I’m a woodwooker and was wondering if there was a way to get close enough tolerances with a wood lathe???

1 Like

I have a very old Craftsman benchtop metal turning lathe. It is quite functional and is pretty tight in the ways with very little run out the entire length. As old as it is, it has never been abused.
You could probably do it on a wood turning lathe, but you would have to be very very good at turning to hold any kind of tolerance for fit. O-rings can make it more forgiving. I’m not that good on my wood lathes. My grandfather (RIP) probably was. He has or had pieces in a museum in Indianapolis.

Woodworker from W. NC huh? I used to work at Drexel-Heritage in Swannanoa, NC. Worked in the sanding department. But also when I was a boy my dad had a wood working shop and taught me plenty. I’ve wondered as well about turning acrylic by hand. I think it would be very doable but would require a good bit of patience as 1/32" is huge if you’re off. But…since I don’t have a shop and getting some age on me, it’s nice to know people like Sir Brad!

Going very well, thanks. And good to see you on here too! Been a month now since I assumed the responsibilities…fastest month of my life!

bumped! Watch Estate Sales for small metalworking lathes. I see them frequently. Sales usually start on Fridays so Saturday is too late to pick up stuff like this. Sometimes I go during my lunch hour on Fri. when something catches my eye. You can Google Estate Sales (Your Town) and sign up for SPAM or just go to http://estatesales.org/ and search by your town.

Robert we are probably cousins :wink: especially if your favorite Apple Pie explodes if’n ya git too close to the woodburnin’ stove

For the 4th of July

1 Like

Just ran across this discussion. Darn miss it.
re: I'm needing help with drip tips
above for the record.

where are you getting your blanks from?

Great thread, great read.

1 Like

A bit old though… my next project could be a cnc milling machine. Could be usefuld to make molds for mods or something. The linear rails and stepper motors are really affordable now and easier to find. The rest is just plywood, aluminium profiles and a few machined parts you can get on ebay.

1 Like