Let's Discuss Wire, What's Safe, What's Not!

Better get some Jalepeno flavoring to go in that juice!!! :laughing:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard if you donā€™t steep Perique Black thatā€™s what you taste, rotten JalapeƱo! Iā€™ve got that :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah, it would, wouldnā€™t it? :wink:

Iā€™m all for facts, but until then, Iā€™m likeā€¦

5 Likes

Thatā€™s great Jim! Now let me tell ya Iā€™m seriously working hard at not being argumentative in this thread or remotely combative. I hope that effort shows because Iā€™ve been known to be a bit of a jackass with my wording. If this forum had a signature option mine would read -

I know you feel that you understand what I said, but Iā€™m not sure you realize that what you think you heard is not what I meant.

3 Likes

We need to come up with a coil-less technology and bypass all this completelyā€¦now what that would be I have no fricken idea but I do not see how it wouldnā€™t be possibleā€¦
You would have to suspend all belief in coils and how we know t today but who knowsā€¦it could happen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That meme is not pointing a finger at youā€¦itā€™s for all those folks out there that spew worrisome information on the innerwebs without backing it up with actual scientific facts. :wink: and that includes many more subjects other than vaping.

1 Like

I feel ya there. I actually have some SS on order and am looking forward to trying that out as well. Hell man, maybe 24ct gold is the way to go! Or silver or something elseā€¦unobtanium. Iā€™ll try almost anything once, twice if I like it.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a item that backs up claims in the video ā€œThe Burning Question: Is Titanium Safe To Vapeā€

Gathered from http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/titanium_wires_for_vaping

ā€œThe wire does produce a cleaner tasting vape than compared to something like Kanthal but when put up against Kanthal or tempered Ni200 itā€™s incredibly springy to work with. And then there are the flamesā€¦
If itā€™s overheated either by dry burning or torching it will burst into flame in a cool chemical fire kind of way not dissimilar to magnesium ribbon. Titanium is a component of fireworks for the white sparks. Metal
fires such as this require a Class D fire extinguisher, not something commonly found in most vapers homes.ā€

ā€œThe proliferation of high wattage devices or the prospect of a genny hotspot taking a wire to ignition temperature is just too much of a risk. The likelihood is that in the new Evolv temperature-protected mods
the wire poses much less of a hazard as it will not oxidise as quickly or be pushed to ignition temperature.ā€

Views on Titanium Dioxide

"JustPoo, a respected member of the UKVapers forum, carried out a brief test to look at the oxidation rate of Ti wire: ā€œI wrapped a standard coil, none of the wraps are touching and it came in at 0.12ohms. I then vaped pure VG on it for 20 minutes, taking 1-2 second drags, always keeping the wick wet and never getting a dry hit or letting it get too hot.ā€

ā€œI put a fresh wick in for the picture so it was a fair comparison.
The coil has changed colour and it looks very much like oxidisation. The
resistance has also risen to 0.13ohms.ā€

In this test I was careful to make sure the coils didnā€™t overheat. Weā€™ve all had a dry hit or lean vape by accident, so during normal usage itā€™s possible the oxidisation would be worse. Titanium oxide is particularly toxic and seems to be produced at normal vaping temperatures, so I wonā€™t be using titanium as a safer alternative to Kanthal.ā€

Keep in mind this is not in temperature mode !!!

Because of overwelming demand Stealt Vape UK will or already is selling titanium wire though their views have not changed. What I gathered from these comments/views using titanium wire is safest used with temperature control. I think we all feel this way anyway. Something else to consider. The burning titanium becomes less likely the bigger the mass of the titanium. This was also mentioned in the video ā€œThe Burning Question: Is Titanium Safe To Vapeā€. My thoughts, under temp control MINUS a SHORT we have much less to worry about considering the mass of our wire is much more than the shavings or powders that generally can catch on fireā€¦

1 Like

Where did he get that?! TiO2 is an inert material. You can produce TiO2 nano particles which does pose concerns, but that is fairly hard to makeā€¦

1 Like

Yup, This I believe would be the holy grail for tanks, and drippers,
I think the solution to this problem is in some ways similar to this
http://www.salvagedoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/photo-2-9.jpg

versus this

where the heat is coming up through the floor in the second picture we would need something to conduct it such as a ā€œpizza stoneā€ or with a shisha like system, dripping vg+flavour onto hot rocks.
A simpler approach than faffing about with wire & coils is long overdue.

(make it quick R&D folk, my eyesight ainā€™t getting any better ;0)

3 Likes

Perhaps here, a quote from Wikipediaā€¦

ā€œTitanium dioxide dust, when inhaled, has been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as an IARC Group 2B carcinogen, meaning it is possibly carcinogenic to humans.[57] The findings of the IARC are based on the discovery that high concentrations of pigment-grade (powdered) and ultrafine titanium dioxide dust caused respiratory tract cancer in rats exposed by inhalation and intratracheal instillation.ā€

Even so, what I really wondered was is that titanium dioxide on the coil? Being Titanium Dioxide forms as a white powder, is what this guy seeing on this coil a white powder? The picture is not great so I said nothing earlier but to me that coil is nothing more than discolored. But, as I said we can not get a close enough look to tellā€¦

1 Like

It is possible and somewhere on ELR I posted a device that one of the pharma companies came up with. A device that was propelled by a gas. Probably not what you had in mind though, nor Iā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been breathing titanium dust for 35 years between my last 2 jobs. I handle titanium by the tons. I recently had my yearly physical. My health is better now after nearly 3 years of not smoking. These forum experts on Ti need to fall back. Iā€™m exposed to more titanium in one day than you will ever see vaping. If you experts are looking for something wrong with Ti, then try flipping another rock, because nothing is under this one.

3 Likes

Iā€™m very glad to hear that. Keep in mind that Iā€™m still vaping with Titanium Coils. These comments are not necessarily my beliefs (excluding nickel, I do believe nickel should be avoided). I am only reporting what is out there in the way of information. I feel it is a good thing for us to be as informed as much as possible. Plus, it can help us to choose the wire we want to use for our coilsā€¦

2 Likes

If the info was 100% accurate I would agree. Some info posted is comparing vaping to how the effects are in an industrial setting. These finding are over exaggerated when it comes to vaping. In other wordsā€¦not a true comparison. Until itā€™s measured on a vapers scale itā€™s just speculation.

If a you get a Ti flash fires in a rta/rda, reflex will stop your inhale limiting your exposure. Nobody will ever get the full effect. But it certainly look scary. On top of that if it was to happen it will be contained is your device. So youā€™re not going to burn your house down.

Sometime whatā€™s being relayed is too much info.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link on Stainless Steel info. Itā€™s a bit of reading so a bit much to relay. Hereā€™s the linkā€¦

http://www.outokumpu.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Safety-Information-Sheet.pdf

One thing I would like to relay is we all know there are different grades of stainless steel. We should be looking for SS wire containing less than 1% nickel. According to this article this grade SS is not classified when looking at the metal and itā€™s adverse health effects. In other words they appear to feel it to be safeā€¦

True but keep in mind these are the only studies available and the only information we can judge to make the best decisions for ourselves. From this information we learning small but maybe important information about these metals. The article I just posted on SS wire informed me of SS wire with only 1% nickel. Possibly a wise choice for us vapers. If I was not looking into this stuff I would not have known this information. Choose to use the information that is pertinent to our cause and disregard the rest. There is stuff to learn from these articlesā€¦

1 Like

If the white part of the coil was on the high end of that coil I would imagine it had been run dry and overheated. But because itā€™s on the low end which gets juice first, and the top end is obviously unaffected, then I can only assume at some point the coil got glowing hot near the deck. Why? Because thatā€™s what happens when itā€™s overheated. If this was shorted to ground that would happen. If there was some contact in the coil on that lower side that could cause hot spots. But in my limited experience with Titanium I still feel confident in saying this photo is not the result of a good build and test.

Also, I do realize some people have and do use Titanium with non-temp-controlled mods. However, because dry hits do happen with those devices, I donā€™t think Titanium is a good wire choice to be used in them. It only takes a fraction of a second of overheating to produce that white residue, and that is secondary to the incredible heat they can produce in a very short time. But hey, even though I feel Ti should only be used in TC mods, thatā€™s not to say it canā€™t be used in non TC mods safely. But the person doing the using needs to have good knowledge of Ti and how it works as an atomizer coil as well as the comparatively low power needed to produce sufficient heat.

For the test that JustPoo did, I like the fact he gave some information about his method. But crucial to the equation is some missing information - 1. What type mod, mech or regulated? 2. If regulated, how many watts? 3. Whichever method, how did you insure you didnā€™t let it get too hot? I may would be able to find this if I did some searching but I have confidence he did something wrong.

I say all this because even though I was definitely riding the learning curve when I first started using Ti, I now understand the difference between correct and incorrect use of Ti coils (in TC applications) and what happens when theyā€™re done wrong. I canā€™t really say that much about mechanical or regulated mods in wattage mode. But again, I donā€™t see the point. Thatā€™s an opinion. But I also donā€™t see taking your computer to a tire dealer and having them blow out the dust from the PC with 150 PSI air either. Is this a good analogy? To me it is.

1 Like

I think I feel safe using Ti with TC but I just may agree with you here. I still would like to know if that discoloration is Titanium oxide or nothing more than discoloration. Letā€™s face it any metal when heated will become discoloredā€¦

True, all that info is important to get a idea of the temperature he applied to that coilā€¦

I only go to the tire dealer for computer rotationā€¦lol

For grins I thought I would see if I could find a list of the chemicals analog smokers are inhaling everyday by smoking. I wondered if Titanium Dioxide might be used in the paper to get the white pigment. Of course I am not able to get a full list of chemicals and did not find this info in those that were listed, I did notice a couple of items I thought you guys would find interesting. In analogs you can findā€¦

*Cadmium - a known carcinogen. It damages the brain, kidneys and liver. Cadmium is used in on-corrosive metal coatings, storage batteries, pigments, and bearings.

*Chromium - known to cause lung cancer. It is used in wood treatment, wood preservatives, metal plating and alloys. Those involved in welding have the greatest risk of exposure.

*Lead - lead damages the nerves in the brain, as well as the kidneys and the human reproductive system. Lead intake can also cause stomach problems and anemia. It is a known carcinogen and is particularly toxin to children. Lead is used in paint and metal alloys.

*Nickel - a known carcinogen, nickel also causes bronchial asthma and upper respiratory irritation.

I was a little surprised to see these metals listed as chemicals in cigarettes. Including Nickel and Chromiumā€¦

Other things in cigarettes that might be a surpriseā€¦

Propylene Glycol, Caffeine, Acetoin, Butyric Acid

Whoā€™d thoughtā€¦

Well the Tobacco Companies are not required to state the ingredients of the cigarette papers or filter and the paper was where I wondered if there was a possibility of Titanium Dioxide use to give the paper itā€™s white color. Guess Iā€™ll never knowā€¦

2 Likes