Let's talk about "Blue Raspberry"

Have not tried the juice but I would suggest Sour TPA which is malic acid.

3 Likes

This is why the blue raspberry profile is so elusive. We can do a sweet candied raspberry all day, but trying to get that mouth-puckering sour bite is where it gets tricky.

Common sense would be to add malic or citric acid as they do in actual B.R. candies. But it just doesn’t seem to translate like we want it to in vapor form. Some of the most revered B.R. commercial liquids fall short here too. Many people will admit they don’t “taste” the sour aspect, even when “sour” is in the liquids name and description.

You would probably have better luck with a secondary flavor that possesses a strong sour/tart note that occurs from other compounds other than pure citric/malic. If you read up in this thread ADK suggested pomegranate for just that purpose. Others you may want to think about would be green apple, apricot, cranberry, etc.

4 Likes

It is true! At least in my case. I bought "sour franboesa blue candy from WF, and I think that mixing 7% of green Apple with 7%, strawberry ripe and 2% of dragonfruit, I get a sour taste …

1 Like

Seeing how there isn’t any silver bullet (not yet anyway), I think the best we can hope for is tricking our palates (or olfactory) into something we perceive as “sour”.

2 Likes
1 Like

I tried this one some time ago. It was good for a change, but I’d better stick to soething else.

1 Like

I wouldn’t place much value on the recipe or idea behind it either for a number of reasons. Posted for reference, resource & content.

1 Like

Hello, old thread! I’ve just been poking around about this flavor, and think this is a very informative article on its advent.

Banana, Pineapple and Cherry components seem to be in the original.

And, it seems that it is just artificial Raspberry with Blue No. 1.

5 Likes

You time this perfectly. I’m on a blue raspberry bender at the moment

4 Likes

I’m on a blue Raspberry /cotton candy kick myself, and just can’t seem to get a recipe going that doesn’t have an oily after taste.

2 Likes

What brands and flavors have you used so far?

2 Likes

I’m at work in break at the moment. I’ll get back to you with a better, comprehensive list. Lol.

3 Likes

This RFSC Blue Raz-centric recipe came out great for a quick steeper. I’m dropping it here for future topic searchers :smile: instead of a recipe thread.

Steep 1 to 5 days. It made me go oooooh on my ride home from work.

I really wanted to put the Rasperry back in Blue Raz, since that is what the original flavor was. Raspberry flavor + Blue #1 + Syrup

Black Raspberry NF is very, very good, but super potent. Less than 0.5% is great. It has the wild earthy zing of a true fresh Raspberry.

Wild Raspberry MF, I kept super low so it can add that sophisticated realness without needing a month to develop.

Raspberry RFSC is kind of a 1 part candy/2 parts real Raspberry, might have some EM(?) But very good on it’s own at 3%

Blue Raz RFSC is just a fantastic Blue Raz. At 3-4% it can stand on its own, but I wanted to give it a push.

I made this for a friend who needed a quick steeper (his last name is Deville). It was designed with MTL on a Berserker, 30/70 6mg in mind, so it’s extra vivid, but mine works happily at 15/85, 2mg at 75 watts on a dual coil RDA.

There ya go!

Update: 10 days steeped and staying strong, getting more “Blue Razzy.”

Update #2: 23 days…Holy Awesomness! This is freaking delicious! I might try upping the MF WR, but just to see what happens. If anyone is on the hunt for a killer Blue Raz, don’t give up til you try this.

5 Likes

I am a huge fan of blue raspberry and I have been looking for an ADV recipe that is blue raspberry heavy. My favorite premium blue raspberry juice is cloud nurdz peach blue razz and I really wish I could recreate it. I’ve made dozens of batches and nothing comes even remotely close. I’m sure cloud nurdz is loaded with sweetener. (which I am trying to avoid except for EM/marshmellow).

3 Likes

Never tried Cloud Nurdz, but I’d try this as a starting point:
Blue Raz (SC) (Real Flavors) 3%
Raspberry (SC) (Real Flavors) 1%
Peach (SC) (Real Flavors) 1.25%

You might need to find something to add an extra layer of tartness if it needs it, but this should taste great as-is.

4 Likes

If you are going to use sweet and tart try adding 1 or % distilled H2O to your mix it will put the moisture back in the vape.

4 Likes

I have RF blue razz but not the other 2. Usually use TPA sweet raspberry and TPA juicy peach (dx). Still haven’t tried sweet and tart though. I am fairly certain that cloud nurdz uses EM and that could be muting the flavors in my batches. Based on your recommendation I am wondering if I am using too much flavor.

3 Likes

Can you post the flavors and %s you’ve tried? Are you adding EM? There is probably some of that embedded in your flavors already, adding it can mute and rob the recipe of tartness or “zing.”

Those RFSC flavors I mentioned are bonafide awesome. I’m going to mix up that 3 flavor recommendation I posted tonight and see how it turns out. I’ll let you know in a few days.

3 Likes

Have you tried a mix without adding these? If you’re adding them before trying it without them, you may find the concentrates are plenty sweet without any help.

As I understand it, flavors that have “Sweet” in the name (and many that don’t) are likely loaded with EM or Maltol, or Vanillin or a combination, which can mute/de-zingify, also without any help. Adding MM or EM/Cotton Candy (or using too high % of the flavor itself) can push it over the edge.

TPA has an ingredient search on their site which can be useful if your trying to figure this stuff out.

4 Likes

And, welcome to the forum at ELR!

2 Likes