Looking to buy a rta to learn to build on

Im looking to start learning to build my own coils so naturally I want to buy a RTA to do this with… Anyone have suggestions on a good one to start with?

7 Likes

I asked this question before and my favorite answer was the Aromamizer. I love that tank.
Here’s the thread I started: Recommend a tank for a rebuilding newbie

Here’s an excellent video for wicking the Aromamizer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH297HWXork
And the Scottish Roll Method works well for this tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-V0H4DnFo

6 Likes

I would start out with the Kayfun v5 clone ( the SJMY is a 1 to 1 clone )

2 Likes

I’d honestly suggest you get an rda with a Velocity style deck to learn on at first. The wicking for a rta is a 2nd level of complexity that can be burdensome. First, master coil making, then go to an rta. When you do, people seem to go with the Aromamizer or the Griffin most often. Both have spacious decks and deliver excellent clouds. If you are not much for clouds, a Kayfun clone might be a better choice.

5 Likes

The Vapor Cloudz Simple Tank would be a good start,

easy to build and a quality tank at a decent price. A little expensive but is worth it. I have 2 Mega Tanks and I love them, by far my favorites.

I can get some clouds out of my Kayfun v5

2 Likes

This is possible, my last kayfun was like a kayfun 2. I dont use tanks much anymore, I vastly prefer the open draw of an rda. The only tank I have right now, other than the old school retired variety, is my Bellus.

2 Likes

You would like the new v5 it ROCK’S

1 Like

bit of an odd choice but I learnt on a glass Fishbone RDA, and then I could see it in action :slight_smile: the went onto the Mutation x V4, the easiest one to do now for me personally is the RTA that comes with TFV8, lots of space.

2 Likes

The chimney looks awful skinny, not getting much air through a 5mm tube. Every tank I buy, I hate, I just can’t keep doing it. It would insanity.

2 Likes

The chamber narrows down and concentrates the vapor. the 4 air settings let you dial it in to what air flow you like and concentration of vapor flavor plus it’s an easy deck to build on

1 Like

Good question, @Anonymiss , I’m at that point too. Following!

3 Likes

I learned to build coils watching this guy’s video’s, Fresh03. This is one of his earlier video’s. The reason they were most educational was because he made a lot of mistakes, which is something you need to see and also how to correct them. It is great to see a pro slapping a coil together in 5 seconds and stick it in without flaws, but that’s not how it goes when you’re learning.

7 Likes

Aromamizer is a great rdta to learn on.
Easy velocity style deck. Forgiving on wicking.

1 Like

Do you know what you want in a tank? Like do you want a 22mm or 25mm? Are you more a flavor chaser or all bout clouds? Do you want single coil or dual? How do you puff mtl or dl?

Clouds I suppose though flavour is important DTL, as far as the rest I have no idea as I have never built a coil. Im looking for something that will be simple to use…(the more idiot proof the better)

1 Like

My opinion you would like the merlin alot. It’s a side style velocity deck tank with a lot if options. Its something that you could experiment with and find your sweet spot. It has open air flow but also has a hollow screw that can be placed into the air hole to restrict it for mtl. With it you could do most any kinda build small single coil, dual coil and even giant notch coils. Also being a velocity deck its about as simple to build as possible also it has only 2 juice holes so less to worry about when wicking. Hope that helps.
Ohh and ps it also has all the bells and whistles of most new tanks like juice flow control (very helpful exp for a newbie) and also top fill.

4 Likes

@Anonymiss check out what @Pattie Said

[quote=“Pattie, post:75, topic:14488”]
This is my roll’s-royce of mtl’s love it because it’s spot on for me.
[/quote] And it is a good DTL

2 Likes

I was going to suggest that one as well. It is pretty good for MTL and if you want DTL you just take the screw out of the air hole and you are good to go.
Kayfun is very nice for MTL but the drawback for a newbie coil builder is that the deck is not very big and you have to trap the wire under the screws which can be a royal PITA if you’re not used to building coils.

1 Like

Honestly, I love my SMOK TF-RDTA to train builders on, it’s pretty forgiving, pretty big deck to work with and there are different builds you can work with.

Just my two cents, for what’s its worth.
:grinning:

3 Likes