Lost Vape Furyan Mechanical Squonk Mod Review by tbt127

Hey everyone! Today I am bringing to you all a review of the Lost Vape Furyan Mechanical Squonk Mod! This mod was sent to me, free of charge, for this review from HealthCabin, despite this, I will give my true and honest opinion of this product.

First, I must start by making a disclaimer advising anyone who is interested in using a mechanical mod that they are intended for use by only those who are knowledgeable of ohm’s law and battery safety.

With that being said, let’s have a look at the goods!

As most of you know, Lost Vape is a company that holds making and providing quality vape products to vapers in high regard, therefore, I expect nothing less from their very first mechanical squonk mod! From the first moment I opened the package it came in, quality is the exact impression that I got! I do have a few things that I am displeased about, and I will share those later, but my first impression of the Furyan mech squonker is that this is going to be a great device!

Packaging:

The box the Furyan comes in doesn’t just provide a package to cover the device, but, as can be seen, it also provides a sort of a presentation of the device to the buyer who opens it! The box is first covered by a sleeve that will be taken off to reveal the presentation box inside.

image image

image image

The box inside the sleeve is a very nice box that slides open like a drawer to reveal the goodies inside!

image image

Included in Package:

1 x Furyan Device

1 x Furyan User Manual

1 x Lost Vape 6-month Warranty Registration Card

1 x Brass Polishing Cloth

1 x 18650 Battery Adapter

2 x Soft Silicone Squonk Bottle

This is a good-looking device, but one of the very first things I noticed that I don’t like is the fact that the plate on the front where the fire button and locking switch are located is not brass, but gold in color, which does not match the brass color and is very noticeable. As can be seen from the images below, it doesn’t matter if it is viewed in regular light or not, it is still very noticeable, so for those of you that are vape vain, you may want to consider the black/silver option.

image image image

Specifications:

84mm x 50mm x 27mm

Stainless steel 510 atomizer connector

Spring-loaded, nickel-plated brass center pin

Silver-plated copper positive/negative battery contacts

Squonk bottles: Soft silicone holds 9ml of eliquid

Device body material: ULTEM, Brass, and Stainless Steel

Available in Yellow ULTEM/Brass, Black ULTEM/Brass, Black ULTEM/Silver

image image image

The Lost Vape Furyan is a mechanical squonk mod that is compatible for use with single 18650, 20700, or 21700 batteries. Being a mech mod, the design is basic, with a fire button and locking mechanism right below. The squonk bottles that this mod uses are amazing! They are made of soft silicone that allows for easy squonking and they hold a massive 9mls of eliquid, but the bottles are not like other squonk bottles. And although the contents say that it only comes with two bottles, I got a surprise when I opened the battery compartment for the first time, because there was another extra bottle in there and it was black!

Another mention is that the bottles have special metal tops and bottoms that must be changed to change the bottle.

Also, the battery compartment is separate from the bottle storage area inside the mod. There are no discernible battery ventilation holes anywhere on the mod, however, I suspect that the battery tube, which appears to be made of hard plastic, would most likely melt if a battery did go into thermal runaway.

The battery is held in the battery compartment by a circular door that screws into the bottom of the mod after the battery is put in. The squonk bottle is placed into another compartment, but the bottom is not threaded, rather it uses a locking mechanism to hold the bottle into place. Both threads, and the locking mechanism are flawless in the way they work.

image image

The 510 threading is just as smooth and well-machined as the threading on the battery compartment door.

Now I want to speak on the choice of metal used on this mod. Brass consists of copper alloyed with nickel, which results in a metal that is extremely durable, can resist corrosion easily, and is also antimicrobial. However, I think it should be mentioned for those who are not familiar with brass that it will tarnish, or patina, over time. Tarnish develops because the copper that is in the metal mixture corrodes with various chemicals. Many chemicals can be transferred through touch, therefore, touching the brass on this mod will most likely leave brown fingerprints that may look permanent and be difficult to wipe away because of the oil and salt that our hands leave behind. Sometimes it will take a couple of days for the fingerprints to show up, so don’t be surprised if you haven’t used your Lost Vape Furyan Mech Squonker in a few days and it looked clean when you put it on the shelf, but when you go to use it again it has some ugly looking brown fingerprints all over it! However, there are ways to restore the original shine to the brass. One way is to use a mixture of ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ cup of vinegar, and add enough flour to make a paste, which can then be rubbed onto the brass to remove the patina from its surface.

image image image

Now, about the performance and my final thoughts of the Lost Vape Furyan Mechanical Squonk Mod…

First of all, it is a beautiful mod, despite my annoyance with the brass and gold not matching. Also, I love the squonk bottles that are included…they are just the right amount of give and take that I like with squonk bottles. The threads throughout this mod are buttery smooth and could not be improved upon in my opinion. The craftsmanship is what we have come to know and love with Lost Vape products.

Now, with this being said, in my opinion, the performance of this mod is not up to par. Hell, its not even up to triple bogey…I’m sorry, I really wanted to love this mod. I was so excited about receiving this mod for review. I saw other’s reviews of it and they loved it. I myself was nothing if not wowed by it, up until I put a 20700 in it and my Mad Dog V2 RDA with a fresh build on top and hit the fire button. I tried several different batteries and rda’s to no avail. I don’t know what the problem is, maybe I got a bad one. The reason I say this is because I must press the fire button super hard to get it to fire, and then it barely gives me a decent hit, then at other times, it seems as if it is working perfectly. I thought, well maybe it isn’t getting a good contact inside, so I took it apart, checked it out, and there isn’t anything that I can see that is the problem. I’m not an idiot when it comes to mechanical innards, but I am not a professional either. It’s a simple mech mod, so it isn’t rocket science, but I wasn’t able to find a permanent solution. I didn’t see anything that stood out as being the culprit keeping this mod from working properly, and I did bend the metal behind the fire button out a bit, so it would be pushed further when the fire button is pressed enabling it to touch the battery contact a bit easier, and when I put it back together, it worked better for all of five minutes and then went back to its usual routine of barely giving me a decent hit. I took it apart several more times to try to analyze a problem and fix it, but I finally gave up. This mod is now just another decoration on my shelf of misfit vapes.

Sorry Lost Vape…I wanted to love this mod, but it was the biggest let down of any mod I have owned thus far…

I still believe in Lost Vape as a company and I will continue to use their products. Like I said, maybe I got a dud, but my experience with the Furyan Mech Squonk Mod was not pleasant and I cannot recommend it to others.

I want to say thank you to HealthCabin for sending me this mod for review, and also, thank you to all of you who take the time to read it!

21 Likes

Great review girl, a shame about the performance although it did make me kinda happy to read this.
I’ve been eying this mod but still too chickenshit to try my hands at a mech. I can sleep easy now I know I’m not missing out :laughing:

And you’re right, the box is beautiful. Lost Vape really knows how to display their wares.

5 Likes

I really did want to enjoy this mod…it seems that I am the only one who has reviewed it that has had this problem though…idk…I really wish it worked better for me!

4 Likes

Maybe @HealthCabin can send you another one. You might have gotten a dud.
That way you could do a review of a working mod, better for their sales too.
Accidents do happen, even at a quality brand like Lost Vape.

4 Likes

Great review and sorry you are having the firing issue.

When you tore it down did you notice any arc marks at all? When you press it multiple times without getting a hit, does the fire button get hot?

If yes to either of those questions you can try this. Tear it down again. Where the button makes contact use a #4 nail file, sell them buy the 5 pack at most local groceries, and use the rough side to remove any arc marks and the smooth side to smooth it down. Then add a small amount of Ox-Gard to the contact points. A little goes a long way.

Being experienced with mechs, you already know they arc. Getting a solid contact with no arc may fix the problem. I know it is a bit of a pain but I tear my mech squonker down once every couple of weeks and give a file and grease and it hits hard.

I hope this helps. And again, great review and thanks for taking the time to do it.

7 Likes

Trust Lost Vape to make a truly beautiful squonk mod, absolutely stunning.

Great review @SunnyT shame about the issues you had with it though.

6 Likes

Nice review! Have my eye on it for many reasons but sorry u are having a bit of trouble. I hope everything @TheTinMan mentioned will help, perhaps just some chinese jizz left on the contacts if u didnt clean it when it arrived…
Decided to look around forums for similar problems and seems it has issues w/ the fire button
“…However, the button assembly with the big spring and two little springs needs modification - mine came bent to have a long button throw which resulted in arching and missfires - the button needs to be pressed in a particular angle to fire well. After some trial and error i managed to bend mine to have a very short throw and it now works most of the time.
all in all, it’s a mechanical mod, so be prepared to fiddle with it to make it work well. new revisions with the brass tube might work well out of the box, mine did so for about a day and then arching and weak hits started.”
Is a shame since I find the design and appearance appealing, extra $ and id still buy one tho, love to tinker!

7 Likes

Thanks for a great, and honest review @SunnyT. Maybe looks aren’t everything ?

7 Likes

Much thanx for your review. That’s a beautiful piece of hardware. If I ever start up mechs again I’ll keep this in mind.
One note on the patina thing tho…and maybe I missed it being mentioned…but allowing your mod to patina over time can sometimes make it look better. Give it some mojo if you will. Especially all-copper mods as they get some pretty cool green/blueish hues happening.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to read my review!

Yeah, I just realized that I didn’t mention that it is perfectly okay to let the brass on your mod patina! Many people like the unique look that brass gets over time as it tarnishes, especially on antiques. However, I personally would not want to let a mod I am currently using to patina for the fact that it probably would not leave the best looking patina on the mod and would probably just end up looking like a bunch of very dark fingerprints on it. If you appreciate the patina of age on your belongings, and want the look of aged brass on your mod, it is best to allow it to darken without interference. However, once it reaches the desired patina look that one wants, the finish should not be contaminated by salts and acids because they will remove a desirable patina, which would make it difficult to use for vaping for fear of losing the look that it took so long to get on the mod in the first place. I could be wrong though…it might be that if the mod is continuously used and never polished, that the fingerprints on it would start running together and no longer look like dark fingerprints, but instead some really cool patina that is very unique to one’s mod!

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to read my review and also to look for others who have had problems with it firing…

Before I got this mod, I did look at a couple of reviews on it, but this was back in May, and I didn’t see anything then about it having any issues. Actually it was Jai Haze’s review that got me really excited about it, because he was talking about how hard hitting this mod is, which is why it was such a total let down that it doesn’t work properly for me! I will try the fixes that @TheTinMan suggested, because I know that if I can get this thing to work properly it will be one of the best and beautiful mods I have ever used!

4 Likes

You are not the only one having this same issue. I was sent one also and having the same issue as you are. I was trying to figure out a fix and then I read this review and you have saved me the trouble of writing another review saying the exact same thing.

Very nice mod in every other aspect but a piss poor design on the fire button and that is not the place to save money in manufacturing when doing a mech mod. Sorry Lost Vape big old thumbs down from me as well.

4 Likes

Wow…I am happy that I am not the only one… @worm1 also discovered others who have written of this same problem on other forums…what a shame…

4 Likes

It could be the simplest of fixes. If i were u guys, I would continue looking for reports and perhaps find a follow-up by a tinkering mech user, they wont stand for less then it hitting hard.

4 Likes

Exactly what I want!!! I am gonna try @TheTinMan’s suggestions…I am gonna try my damnedest to get this beautiful piece of junk to be more than it’s current state…

3 Likes

Gl to you and @wvsanta. I’ll poke around for more info when i get a chance but would always be happy to take whatever off your hands :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The one I got has the brass tube and the very first time I tried to fire it I noticed the button issue.

I took it apart and played with the spring but have not truly had the time to mess with it much.

I like everything about this mod but if it wont fire right it has to go in the category of useless POS.

3 Likes

I have seen on-line that others with the same issue have had success by squeezing the two loop sections slightly.

I noticed in the picture I found of the switch that the nut on the 510 pin is slightly off so that the contact in the button will not hit it flush, if that were my mod I would tighten the nut a little so that it lines up parallel with the contact on the switch.

6 Likes

Nice find. Stared at the pic a while since i dont have one but the bend is your spring/return to not firing position, squeezing it will reduce throw(button travel) but if its hitting the nut then its fine. I would get the nut squared w/ the button like u suggest but although hard to tell w/ pic, it almost look like its skimming the bottom of the nut as well ( too tight already) perhaps back it off a few turns and get it square.

4 Likes

Here’s an after pic

Not owning it either I don’t know how mush resistance there is in the springs keeping the contacts apart but that does look a little too close for me, at least it does show how the nut and contact should align.

5 Likes