Mag mixer question

Ok so I got a magnetic mixer a couple months ago and for the most part I’m very happy with it, but the thing is, I mix max vg on almost everything and my little spinner thing (I don’t know what the hell you call it) doesn’t spin very fast when I’m mixing room temperature vg mixes. When you warm the vg a bit it does better of course, but when it is room temp (cool), it has trouble keeping up with stirrer. Is that normal for these things or do I have a weak magnet in there somewhere?

I know there is a big thread on this topic. But yes. This is par for the course. You may want to try a different magnet. Wish @ozo was here to chime in.

1 Like

Yeah I know there is a thread on this topic somewhere but I couldn’t find it. I was hoping @ozo would see this too.
But, I’m not too concerned with the little stirring thing, I am more concerned about the magnet inside the unit. I got it used and it’s pretty old so I was wondering if the magnet inside the unit could be getting weak ?

1 Like

Thanks @TheTinMan1 That’s what I was looking for before I started this thread. Either I couldn’t find it or didn’t see it. Thanks bud :+1:

1 Like

The stir bars come in various shapes and sizes. The football looking ones are for heavy liquid. They don’t move as much liquid as the hex bars, But if i am mixing a really large batch I will use a football the size of the container. The regular hex bars are great general purpose bars that tend to get the liquid going the best on my mixer. Try to get these in various sizes and see which size works best on your mixer. This will vary depending on the container sizer, the viscosity of the liquid, etc.

The are also the bar bell shaped stir bars. They are pretty pricey, so I have yet to try one. I doubt I do because I have gotten used to mine and don’t have too much trouble. I turn my stirrer on and slowly turn the dial to 5. I turn the heat to 2-1/2. I sit and watch it, very slowly turning the rpm up on the stirrer. If I go too fast it breaks loose and I have to start over. Gradually, I get it up to 7-8 on the dial by the time the juice reaches 100 degrees or so. If I am using the football bars, I usually end up close to max on the RPM as they stay attached much better.

If your mixer is old, you might open it up and see what kind of magnets you have in there. If you hop on eBay you can find bulk rare earth magnets that will spin a stir bar through concrete about to set up.

1 Like

Rare earth magnets! Nice Tip. :+1: Thanks @LordVapor