Magnetic mixer is awesome

That just makes it a little less effective, right? Nothing about US leading plastic to leach or anything?

1 Like

I didnā€™t read anything about leaching.

1 Like

I just picked up this little unitā€¦
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262156291857?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I hope itā€™s a good one. I know Corning makes nice stuff. And this is the nicest used name brand mixer I saw on eBay. I will post up some info on mixing with it when it arrives. Do you guys know where I can pick up a good temperature probe and probe stand? I know I can just search and find one. Am hoping someone here has used them and has some recommendations.

1 Like

For those using rubber mats on your stirrers, I wonder how well this would work

I know you couldnā€™t turn the heat up very high. But 125 degrees shouldnā€™t hurt it.

Iā€™ve been using one of these lately and it works great.

1 Like

We used that sort of matting when using routers in the work shop. Routing edge profiles etcā€¦

1 Like

Yupp ā€¦ same stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t use anything. My Erlenmeyer flasks donā€™t move a bit. I was worried I would have to have something to hold them in place because the top of my stirrer is very slick ceramic. So I would have thought they would slide around. But I get up to around 900 RPM and not a budge.

2 Likes

My Erlenmeyer flasks tend to stay put pretty well on mine. I have a beaker that has an odd shaped bottom that would benefit from one of those pads though. That thing spins like a top from the word GO. It has a hump dead center in the bottom of it. LOL.
Lately, I have so much juice to vape on that I have just been mixing to the bottle, giving a good shake every other day or two and let them steepā€¦unless they are a super SnV.
I think I went through 120 ml of @Alisa Bust-a-Nut in less than a week. That juice is like vape CRACK!
That juice and my decision to back my nic to 3mg was pure bad timing. LOL

3 Likes

I killed 20 ml of it this evening over 4 good Stout beers. That stuff goes great with a good malty beer!

3 Likes

I just got in an order for some various size/shaped stir bars. I have noticed with the diamond shaped bar I have that is about 1-1/4" long I can spin up to about 1000 RPM. But it doesnā€™t move the juice as well as the Octagon pill capsule shaped bars. I also have a straight round bar that I havenā€™t tried yet. Have any of you tried the dumbbell bars? They are supposed to be good for heavy viscosity fluids. But they are pricey.

When I was on ebay ,I only found used ones ( corning) going foe about 175,00 . Seams like the market is hot on those. So I took the you tub vidio and made my own, ,but with some modications. I took apart a candle warmer and used the heating pad for that , but found that the fan blades cooled down the temp. , so cut the blades off. ( more HP to the fan also. ) I have about 50 $ in total. box, bolts ,fan, magnets mixing stir bars, beakens.It will only do about 60 ml. 70 VG with out pre heat. works nice, even added felt legs to it ,so dont slide around. see pic.

6 Likes

@Professor_Snape Greetings Professor! You said you bought a lot of your supplies for the magnetic mixer from Radio Shack. This may sound like a stupid question and I may be wrong, but hadnā€™t they gone out of business or perhaps were bought out by another company? I used to go to Radio Shack all the time but the two locations near where I live (Ogden and Utah) are not there any longer. Perhaps itā€™s just here, or I need to get out further and see if thereā€™s any in Salt Lake City. So since your post, are you aware of anything going on with Radio Shack, like did they go out of business or are they still there?

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen a post from our Professor Snape in over a year and we hope all is well.Hopefully I can help you out with what little I do know.
Radio Shack did close several stores recently including the one local to me but there are still a few left in nearby towns. They do have a store locator if you do a search.

1 Like

I made one out of old computer bits and got it all set up and tested with water and got a great vortex but when I tried with a 70vg/30pg mix the fan would just not spin, think a small motor would be better, so for now its a frother

2 Likes

they closed our local radio shack i thought itvwas just because small town , i miss them now i have to drive 30min one way to get anything

2 Likes

Yes they are. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Yes they did cloce some store. ???. the one near me is located in low income area. seams odd, but may be it because of low income people have to build thinks or repaire think more. Hell I would just ored on line.

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say that I just picked up this little guy from eBay for $30 with free shipping. I can hardly wait to use it.

7 Likes

Now you need some egg-shaped (olive-shaped) stir bars, beakers, and a retriever rod.

2 Likes