Math Help Please

I messed around with that and very helpful, thank you. You still need to input a flavor percentage and know prior what 1-2 drops per 3ML equals as a percentage. After inputting the percentage it will thus tell you the amount of drops. I have always used the calc set to grams because I always mix by weight, but that was neat to mess around with and try.

1 Like

So one dropper may take 50 drops to make 1ML and another dropper takes 35 drops to make 1ML, does that really matter? So long as I am using the same dropper to make the mix the percentage remains consistent. One dropper may require 8 drops to be at 1.5% and another dropper may be 12 drops to be at 1.5%. Either way it does not change being at 1.5% regardless of the dropper being used. Correct?

Correct.

However, most of the folks here that mix by weight are using the ELR calculator. And part of that is because the manufacturer specific gravity has already been entered for each flavor (for the most common, and established flavors), so drop size doesn’t matter or factor in. They mix by weight, and straight from whatever dropper is on the top of the bottle it gets sold in (in the majority of cases). No pipette (or other dropper) involved, unless it’s sold in a plain glass bottle. And then they still measure by weight. No unverified or verified drop conversion necessary. Just drip from whatever source, until the desired weight has been achieved.

Number of drops, and drop size, only matter for someone mixing by drops. So to them, it’s relevant details, and important information to not only know, but to understand. Because there’s no other measurement involved. No scale, no syringe. But there are different size bottle dropper-tips/types, and pipette sizes/types from different manufacturers. Etc.

Yes the more you play on the recipe side you learn all the built in tricks. Another trick: try setting up a recipe at 100 ML volume, it makes looking at the input percents more understandable. The ability to convert drops to grams though is a tiny percent of the Recipe sides capabilities.

2 Likes