Medicine Flower Recommendations

i think your saying what i meant , i use the butter rum to enhance / push / round out the FW butterscoth natural for me these two work well together, ive never tried to have the butterscotch flavot in a vape be the top note or the main profileof a vape , although i would like a nice butterscotch ice cream , butterscotch custard i just havent spent the time trying like me dear friend @Sprkslfly has , so sparks i think we are kinda saying the same thing hahahahhehehehee

4 Likes

Thanks for the mention… It’s greatly appreciated, but this combo is still untested. That’s why I posted it in the Private Recipe Sneak Peek (WIPs) thread. It should work on paper, but I won’t know until I actually vape it.

3 Likes

Sorry about that, i need to pay closer attention to what thread im in.

2 Likes

No prob @netweight… I just don’t want anyone to have false hopes… sort of a disclaimer or YMMV.

4 Likes

I squeezed @Sprkslfly tight enough that he gave up his Butterscotch base recipe. He says it is tantalizingly close to butterscotch disk candies; a flavor I’ve longed to emulate for years. Unfortunately I am a massively long month away from the reveal. Like, black hole event horizon type of slow time. Killing me.

7 Likes

Well… After doing a bit of digging through my written notes, as well as trying to check my ELR notes, I unfortunately cannot find the page with the caramel shootout. =/

Basically what it boiled down to was, (at the time) I had the following on hand:
Ina caramel
Cap caramel v1
FA caramel
TFA caramel original
TFA DX Caramel
LA creamy caramel (colorless/natural)

The bottom line was Cap v1 suited my tastes best for a rich “caramel-chew-like” candy (think Brach’s). Not the ones with a center filling, but just a straight-ahead caramel.

There’s such a wide variety of caramel, that I almost always ask “what kind” when I hear someone say “I like caramel.” Which is almost always met with a look of “What are you? Stupid?” as most tend to plug in (without realizing) their favorite caramel they had as a kid, as THE caramel, without really thinking about just how many variants there are. :laughing: It’s not until you get in a situation such as ours where you really have it as a full “in your face” reminder of the reality.

Anyways… Many of what I tried (above) just didn’t work for the profile I wanted.
FA was too “dark”, and had unwanted side notes).
Ina was good, but again, went off on a different direction (side notes).
TFA DX had the unwanted side note of Butyric Acid (as I recall).
TFA original was very good (not a bad “second” to Cap, just not quite the profile I wanted).
LA creamy caramel completely missed the target (too “light” IIRC).

I tested MF after the shootout, but it was distinctly not in the profile I was wanting. It was too “light” a flavor for me, and in most cases, if MF has to be used above 1%, then I begin to question the value (price vs accuracy).
On the other hand, if it’s a “hard to find” profile (like coffee, lemon, or chocolate for instance) then that helps offset additional aspects of the cost/justification factor for me. YMMV
But in the case where we have “everyone and his brother” making at least ‘half-decent’ caramels. Then even if I have to “wade through” 10-12 flavors (and 2-3 SFT’s for each)… Then it’s worth having spent the same for one 15ml bottle of MF caramel. Because I got the additional experience (and enjoyment) from testing another dozen flavors!

I’m still hunting to see if there’s any that trump Cap though, and I’m in the formative stages of doing another shootout, due to having since added:

FLV caramel
NF caramel
FW caramel candy

Being the ‘prime candidates’.

I’m sorry I couldn’t give you more specifics, but that is the downside of using the little spiral bound notebook. Fortunately though, I’ve only lost maybe two or three pages from it.

Hopefully this gives some bit of help (if nothing more, it’s insight into my thought process/approach!).

15 Likes

@Sprkslfly Wow brother, thanks for taking the time to gather up the notes, and post them up. Very appreciated.

6 Likes

Can anybody recommend the blackberry? I’ve been looking for a good blackberry.

4 Likes

I just ordered LorAnns BB I’ve heard good things, I’ll let you know what I think Nicriver still has %20 off till midnight I ordered mine yesterday

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m pretty sure @NChris is looking for opinions on the MF Blackberry (there’s a bit of a clue in the thread title :grin: )
Sorry Chris , you’ve picked one that I haven’t tried this time , but if you check out the notes here looks like @Pro_Vapes @Amy2 @Ken_O_Where and a few others could give you an answer :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you dear

4 Likes

I have used blackberry mf. Still in testing but I get the same flavor profile as I do with FA’s. Just not as strong. It’s a very dark blackberry minus some of the sweetness of an overly ripe blackberry.

Both of which I mix 30mls with ice cream. For which you can do ice cream lb at 3-5% and blackberry fa at like 2 drops and or mf at I think 4 Ish. The end result is a Smokey sweet blackberry. I think it’s pretty good and ready to gear up to adding with oak wood fa or liquid Amber fa.

11 Likes

I think you nailed the description quite well. Upfront bold berry lacking in sweetness but some tart notes in there as well. @NChris I concur with @Chrispdx :smile:

6 Likes

I hope you don’t find this to be a stupid question. From MF’s site, it says:

Medicine Flower’s genuine, food-grade flavors are used for culinary, scent and cosmetic applications. Our flavors are cold-processed using extraction without the use of any colorants, fillers, diluting agents or preservatives.

So does this mean they are all actually clear, or do some retain color as a matter of course from the extraction process? And do the clear ones stay clear forever? It’s a quirky thing for me, but I really like juices that are clear and largely stay that way (minus the nic oxidation over time).

5 Likes

Technical Information:
Our flavors are obtained through a proprietary technology conducted at temperatures below 118 degrees F. This process comprises a multi-stage extraction encompassing initial desiccation, lyophilization, and CO2 extraction.

We do NOT sell so-called “Natural Flavors” (also known as “Natural Analogs”) which are actually synthesized in a lab. All of our products are made from the material named on the label
http://www.medicineflower.com/flavorextracts.html

I would assume that any color is from the original material after the extraction process the material being a natural source and not a synthetic chemical.

7 Likes

Yes, and I agree. Just wondering what those with multiple MF’s have found, as far as coloration goes.

4 Likes

@anon44944642, well I’m right at this moment vaping Butterscotch (MF) with Chocolate (MF) and it has steeped to a golden colour (after about 3 months) Ofc that might be due to the nicotine oxidising, but I don’t think so, I’ve also noticed one or more of the red fruits (can’t say which off-hand, but black cherry was an exception, IIRC) developing a pinkish colour after a long steep. I rather like that effect myself. Helps me remember which juice is in which tank!

Hope this helps! Must say, that’s not something I’ve ever thought to take notes on!

4 Likes

I have some concentrates (Cap DC conmes to mind) that are already very dark and the juice is coffee colored immediately. I don’t mind a light toasted look, but deeply burnt looking is not very palatable to me. They taste good, but ugly.

3 Likes

Ahhh! No, MF are nothing like that, they all come out of the bottle clear as glycerine in my experience, And I’ve never seen any of them turn dark on steeping.

4 Likes

Not all, but most are clear… The Dark Chocolate is brownish in color, The Orange has a murky orange tint and the Lemon has a very, very light yellow shade.

8 Likes