Medicine Flower Tasting Notes

This doesn’t count as tasting notes, but it is relevant to measuring out how much to dispense (for those who use syringes =P) so I figured I would drop this “nugget” of info here.
(Hope you don’t mind @Pro_Vapes)

I did some testing last night…and I’ll just post the update I left on my Butterscotch base and the Butterscotch Bliss recipe:

This is in reference to the 5ml glass with the plastic inserts.

7 Likes

OK, guys. Please excuse me , but my present housing situation headache, etceteras (I won;t go into the etcetras but they’re biggies) has been such as to throw me off the wagon wince . Like I can afford the freaking stinkies wince,

Nevertheless , I did actually manage to taste my latest MF testers at the one month mark. I dunno if I’ll manage a two-month mark test, especially not after accidentally sending one open bottle flying to disgorge its contents onto a heap of papers (not vitally important papers, thankfully!) . But here goes:

Elderberry (MF)

I tested this @ 0.5% and 1%. Must say , I’ve never tasted fresh elderberries, just elderberry wine, but it definitely tastes a lot like the latter, especially @ 1% , though I do find that way too heavy on the flavour.
My son (who conrtributed part of the aforementioned etceteras, through no fault of his own) is still staying with me, so I turned to him for a second opinion, He completely agrees with me that this flavour really shines @0.5% ., at which concentration (with 1 month steep) you get a light, highly refreshing fruity taste…which my son mistakenly identified as elderflower flavoured grape juice. Huh? Hmmm. Perhaps that goes to show that there’s something of floral note in there? or that Elderberry and Elderflower are a lot more similar than I ever realised before. In any case, there’s a definite “elder” flavour, and both us found it delicious!

If you’re looking for a fruit flavour that’s really great as an SF, this could be the one you’re looking for! Ten out ten!

Honeydew Melon (MF)

Oh dear, oh dear! Previous reviews gave me high hopes of this one. But they also inspired me to try it at a lower concentation than the popular 1%, so as to add a little bit to our knowledge base. So I tried it @ 0.6% and 0.7% Yes, you read that right! those are stupidly close together, I know, I know, and I actually can’t tell the difference between them, now that I come to taste them. My intention was to try @ 0.5% and 0.7% but then I was a teeny bit clumsy with the dropper .

Anyway, so how do they taste at one month? Sort of vaguely fruity with an odd citrus tang and an unpleasant musty undertone. I mean, not only is it definitely too weak, but there’s no hint whatsoever of the delights that you get at 1% (yes I do believe you guys!) . Makes me wonder if I might have somehow contaminated both batches with some other flavour? * shrugs *

That said, I do believe this flavour is delicious at 1%. And my advice, on this showing, is to keep on mixing it @1% !

10 Likes

I’ve only mixed honeydew in an actual recpie,
But all recpies where amaz’balls. Mixed between 0.6-1.25%

5 Likes

think I’ve really gotta add this one, now:

Light Chocolate (MF)

OK , I haven;'t tried this as an SF; but -unusually- I’ve certainly got it, and have used it in mixes. I should also confess that I’m actually a dark chocolate fiend! so it’s no surprise that I don’t find this one as satifying as the Dark Chocalate (MF) . Though, really, could anything ever be quite as satisfying as that one? That just sets the bar too high.

So far as my taste buds can tell , it tastes exactly like milk chocolate. And not just any old milk chocolate but a high quality Swiss milk chocolate. .I prefer to use the Dark Chocolate (MF) at around 0.7%, so I tried using this one at a similar % , and was, I must confess, disappointed. The chocolate flavour comes out OK on the exhale, but you (or rather I) barely notice it on the inhale.

I turned to a mate for a second opinion and he really liked it, though he certainly agreed about the chocolate flavour being pretty much absent on the inhale. So there! You get two opinions for the price of one.

I haven’t tried Pro_Vapes’ famous Milk Chocolate Flavour Base, but only because I’m personally avoiding using TPA and CAP (mostly on account of PG-allergy) For those who don’t mind mixing their MF with those other brands, that seems like an excellent idea which perhaps makes Light Chocolate (MF) redundant? That said, it really is a nice one, just as you’d expect from MF.

7 Likes

I can appreciate this, having not even tried the light chocolate yet.

4 Likes

Lemon (MF) 0.2% (10-17-18) – With all of the warnings about this one being super strong, mixed it down at an insanely low 0.2%. At this low rate, it is probably one of the BEST lemons I’ve ever tried. It actually have a little sweetness which surprised me, and with it’s beyond natural taste, was almost a little lemonade right out of the bottle. Natural, fresh, and punchy were the three words that kept coming to mind through the entire tank. Strong it may be, but deliciously clean, fresh, and accurate it is. Mixed at a low rate, I cannot see anything requiring lemon, or top end boosting that this wouldn’t work in. Outstanding, no faults, just plain great lemon. 10/10.

14 Likes

Lol. I can tell that you are now fully converted to mf. Congrats on your transformation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Caramel (MF) 0.75% (10-18-18) – Wow, this one surprised me more than once, when vaping through the tester tank. The re-occurring thought that I kept getting was EFFORTLESS when vaping it. I was very surprised that @ 0.75% it was very nice and full, with just the right amount of sweetness. As most my other MF tests, this one was very clean, natural, and just felt effortless in it’s portrayal of a great Caramel. I think having used many other Caramels I was used to a more strong handed approach to the flavor, with a more in your face punch, as opposed to how this one tastes. It’s not lacking in any way, except for maybe a more of a artificially forced flavor, which this is not. Nice caramel (duh) elements with a somewhat buttery touch, that finishes clean, and leaves you wanting more. I don’t think it is overwhelmingly rich, probably due to lacking dik’s, but lacking almost feels wrong, in talking about this flavor. Even when comparing to other heavier Caramels, it’s hard to find fault with this, and it’s clean nature will allow it to be used even more often than many others. 9.5/10.

10 Likes

That’s primarily why I didn’t like it actually. When I think caramel, I expect deep rich flavors. MF is decidedly lighter.

Great review, and I’m glad you like it! :wink:

5 Likes

Great review and spot on to how I feel about this extract. I tried mixing this extract with other support flavors quite a few times before I realized that I was doing more harm than good. It just solid and fills the bill if you want a rich natural Caramel.

4 Likes

Thanks @Sprkslfly. Because it’s lighter, it might not be the main note, but it could be a great additive.

Thanks @Pro_Vapes !!!

5 Likes

It’s one of their extracts that I consider to be a group member, not a loner. In other words, it isn’t the best SF flavor but a wonderful addition to the party. Their Butterscotch and Strawberry are the same way for me.

So, when I want rich caramel candy sweetness and great natural caramel notes, I use either Caramel (Original) or Salted Caramel with the MF Caramel and it works out great for me; really rounds out caramel perfectly. Definitely a flavor I don’t want to run out of.

5 Likes

Yes guys/gals, Just speak what YOU taste. Thats how I decide/choose who to follow and adopt their recipes.

It wouldn’t be as helpful to mix recipes of someone who tastes things differently.

1 Like

Blackberry (MF) 0.75% (10-19-18) – Like all of the other MF fruits I’ve tried this one came across as very natural, and clean tasting. It seemed to lean towards the darker side of a blackberry, as opposed to a brighter one. The sweetness seemed lower than some of the other MF flavors, and it was somewhat laid back in comparison too. Some added sweetness and/or stevia might help it pop more. I don’t think I would use this as a main blackberry flavor, but more so of a booster or additive to others. Steeped very well, def. got across what it was trying to convey. For a slightly darker, not so sweetened blackberry, that is not as strong as many others, that’s what you’ll get with this one. Not great, not bad, riding in the middle of the road for me. 6.5/10.

6 Likes

Try it in an ice cream base. It’ll will come out as a dark blackberry with its out inherent sweetness and back notes of a Smokey flavor. Just like blackberry fa.

8 Likes

Add a drop of flavorah alpine strawberry per 30ml or so.

1 Like

Just placed an order with GEB! Growing an MF collection is hard, but so worth it. Thanks for all the notes here and throughout the site. You all helped make some tough decisions!

Notes soon to come, excitement already here. (!)

Watermelon
Strawberry
Wild Raspberry
Coconut
Lemon
Bulgarian Rose
Banana

Hopefully sampling:
Pineapple
Rum

11 Likes

You’re going to dig the wild raspberry.
And their Lemon is irreplaceable IMO!

11 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been needing this Lemon for a lonnng time! Some of the others that may have some detractors, like the SB needing higher %, or Banana being delicate I think i will be cool with. I like to use these to give more realness to other brands, if they don’t float on their own.

I got a sample of the Rose on my last GEB order. It is insanely good.

8 Likes

Agreed with @Sprkslfly @Plunderdrum. Make sure to keep in mind the much lower mixing %, and longer steep times.

4 Likes